Need an answer ASAP help...

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by aimeesmumy2007, 30 October 2009 Social URL.

1. aimeesmumy2007

aimeesmumy2007 Full Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Right im using my slow cooker for the first time today, ive chopped veg & put it at the bottom & placed my whole chicken on the top then poured Knorr chicken stock in it.

My question is, does the chicken have to be covered in the stock to cook it?!?! or does it cook anyway?!?! The stock is covering about half the chicken as we speak..... HELP lol

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Donnie46

Donnie46 Slow but sure....

Start Weight:
    22st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7lb(11.36%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - Green Days only.
    No the chicken doesn't have to be covered, the slow cooker will generate fluid as it cooks so it won't dry up - just put the lid on your slow cooker now and turn it on and wait for your home to start smelling of lovely cooking chicken - you'll love it.....

4. aimeesmumy2007

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Phew, thank god for that!! lol :D

Thanks hun :D

5. Relentless_Eating_Machine

Relentless_Eating_Machine Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st4lb
    Current Weight:
    7st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8lb(16.92%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Hi - I am a first timer with the old slow-cooker too (inherited from my mum)!! So far have cooked a whole chicken with garlic and lemon - I added 250ml water to make a stock and probably didnt need to as it generated it's own stock whilst cooking (as it is completely sealed) great for freezing for use with something else!

Yesterday I made a creole chicken thighs recipe and added the required measurement of stock (from my whole chicken actually) as per the recipe however it was so watery at the end so my advise would be halve the amount of stock/liquid it asks you to add in a recipe.

Long winded!
    Sorry!

Also remove as much of the skin from your whole chicken otherwise it goes grey and rubbery - gross!

REM

6. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    I'm so pleased you asked this! I've only ever done stews/curries in mine. I've never dared to do a whole chicken.

7. aimeesmumy2007

Diet:
    Slimming World
    OMG ive sooooo fell in love with my slow cooker!!! lol

Friday I made the above & today I done a whole chicken for a roast and used chicken Oxo and sage herbs, oh my word the taste was gorge!!

8. Divster

Divster Banned

I was wondering about getting one of these, as Tesco are selling them for £10

9. aimeesmumy2007

Diet:
    Slimming World
    What size is the one in Tesco hun? I got a 6.5litre one from argos that was half price, £30 down to £15. Its absolutely huge & well worth the money (depending how many in your household)!! lol

10. Divster

Divster Banned

Hadnt thought of that! Good job I didnt buy it, its 3.3L

11. Mumofholandhen

Mumofholandhen Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    Man I must get me a slow cooker- they sound awesome x are they any places you can get SW slow cooker recipes from?

12. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Check the recipe forum on here or google and you'll find loads of ideas.

By the way, my 3.5l slow cooker is large enough for a family of 4 - a 6.5l one is going to be huge sothink about where you're going to store it. I've also read that they need to be filled about two thirds in order to work best.

13. Divster

Divster Banned

Does wattage matter?

14. jothelion

jothelion Member

I'm abusing my slowcooker now too - it just gathered dust then I read a few recipes on forum and theres no stopping me now. Did brisket of beef in it yesterday and it was so tender and tasty. Chickens are great and so easy, I dont add any stock just stick the chicken in ontop of a couple of carrots and then wait... going to do lamb soon and also thought might do a bacon joint. Theres a good recipe on here for lamb meatballs with minty gravy thats my next try in it.

15. Ryansmummy

Ryansmummy Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st11lb
    Current Weight:
    14st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(3.86%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    Another one who's dusting off me slowcooker!
    I'm going my chicken tommorrow, and doing spag bol in it on Wed, cos I go to an afterschool club with DS1 on wednesdays :D

16. mollysmum1

mollysmum1 Full Member

Goal Weight:
    11st4lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Wow i'm off to Tesco to buy a slow cooker, you are all really inspiring thank you x

17. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Just got one of the Tesco £10 slow cookers. The capacity is 3.3 litres, which is plenty for me.

The switch has four settings - off, low, high, and warm. They say that high is the "normal slow-cooking setting. Cooking time is around 7-8 hours."

There is no recipe book included, but there are lots of recipes and ideas on this website, so that's no problem.

I will be using it tomorrow - I have some boned and skinned chicken thighs which I am going to put in with leeks and butternut squash. I am going out just after lunch and getting back home around 6.30 p.m. when I hope that a lovely dinner will be waiting for me!

I will let you know how I get on.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Divster

Divster Banned

I will be back to see if you are pleased with it! ;)

So is the idea that you put everything in raw?

20. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    This is what I have done - cut a leek in half lengthwise and then into 1" chunks. Cut half a butternut squash into 1" chunks.

Put them all into the bottom of the cooker with some seasoning.

Trimmed 6 free-range chicken thigh fillets (special offer in Waitrose) to remove any excess fat (there was hardly any) and put them on the top of the vegetables.

Put about an inch of water in the bottom. (Normally when I make something like this I would use stock, but I wanted to see what it would taste like without.)

Switched the slow cooker on and set it to high.

Crossed fingers (an essential step when trying anything new!!).

This all took me about 10 minutes. Now I am off to my Tai Chi class, and the library, and taking photos for a quiz I am running next week.

And I am looking forward to my dinner!!!

21. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Success!!!! As I walked into the flat there was such a delicious smell of chicken cooking. It had been on for about four hours and the chicken and vegetables were perfectly cooked.

The vegetables had created quite a lot of liquid, so I didn't need to have added so much water. But I like my food fairly dry, so that's something everyone would have to decide for themselves.

The chicken was still above the liquid, so it had steamed, really. It was falling apart and absolutely lovely. Obviously, larger pieces of chicken, or a whole one, would need longer.

The butternut squash was very soft but not mushy. The leeks were slightly overcooked and I would cut them into larger chunks next time.

The only flavourings I used were salt and pepper and this allowed the taste of the meat and vegetables to shine through. I have eaten half of it, and might have second helpings later, or I might save the rest for tomorrow. I will drain off the stock and chill it, remove any fat from the top, and use it for something else.

(The outside of the cooker gets quite hot - it is stainless steel - which I hadn't expected - silly really.)

I am absolutely delighted with the results, and will definitely be trying out other recipes in my slow cooker!

22. Divster

Divster Banned

I wonder...I have a big stock pot, would it work the same way with a low heat in an oven?

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.