Need some advice pls

prettykins

Hi Everyone

I have joined slimming world classes just about every year since i was 15, im now 30! i used to only be about 1.5 stones overweight , but now after having my first child and having no time to myself, i have about 5 stones to lose.
I have been successfull with it before, 6 yrs ago i got down to 9.5 stone and it felt amazing.
The past few months, i have got myself all fired up to go and join on a monday night, but something always gets in the way, or i just cant afford it.
Everytime i join class or try and do it myself, i find myself losing just a few pounds and giving up after a few weeks.
I come on here everyday and read diarys and recipes, and start to feel motivated, but really dont know how to start and get back into it.
Im really unhappy being this size, its spoiling just about every aspect of my life and i never have any energy.
Also, whenever i start sw, i find myself planning the weeks menu, and spending way too much when i do the shopping. I dont have that much spare money, has anyone got any tips for saving money on sw shopping? i always overspend on everything, but even more so when doing sw.
Would really appreciate any advice
thanks xx

Green days are so much cheaper than extra easy or red. I would be asking myself whether this diet actually suits you as you say you have tried it many many times without the success of continuing. There are always reasons in life why we can't do things but we can usually do things we REALLY want to. It may be that this isn't the right way for you. Good luck in your quest to be slimmer xx

SW really does not need to be expensive - there are some basic good household practices will help keep the costs down:
  • plan your meals for the week, make a shopping list and get only for the ingredients you need to make them
  • start by looking at what you have in the cupboard/freezer already and choose meal options that will use them up
  • cook your meals from scratch as pre-prepared sauces will be more expensive and you'll know exactly what has gone into them
  • plan to use leftovers for other meals or for lunch the next day eg if you are cooking rice for dinner one day, make extra, throw in some leftover veggies and a fat-free dressing and you have lunch for day two
  • cook one meal for the whole family not different ones
  • seasonal fruit and veg is always cheaper so plan your meals around what it available
  • take advantage of special offers - most supermarkets do cut price fruit and veg each week - and shop around to get the best prices. Check out offers and prices on comparison websites.
  • try out the 'discount' supermarkets like lidl or aldi. Not everything is cheaper but many things are such as tinned tomatoes, pulses etc
  • check out local shops such as greengrocers and butchers because supermarkets are not always the cheapest option
  • frozen fruit and veg can be cheaper than fresh and a good alternative
  • go green rather than red as meat is more expensive
  • if doing EE then bulk out your meals with cheaper ingredients such as pulses, lentils, meat-free mince so you use less meat
  • if buying meat go for cheaper cuts and invest in a slow cooker. Or buy joints and whole chickens that can be used across several meals rather than packs of chicken breasts
  • beans, lentils and pulses are all good sources of protein and much cheaper than fish and meat
  • batch cook meals taking advantage of special offers and freeze portions so they are ready for use
  • go for shop own-brands rather than premium brands as they are usually just as good and a lot cheaper
  • you don't have to buy mullerlights. There are several supermarket versions that are also syn free or other brands that are on special offer such as activia or shape zero
  • know where your supermarket puts the things that are nearly out-of-date. You can sometimes pick up bargains on things like meats
  • if you have storage then big bags of staples like pasta and rice can save money in the long-term
  • invest in a water filter rather than buy expensive bottled water
  • have breakfast at home so you're not tempted to eat on the go
  • if you work, take lunch with you rather than buying out
  • make your own versions of favourite family takeaway meals - save on the £s and the lbs

A few years ago my customer told me how much she spent on food per week and it was half of what I usually spent - I found out that she shopped at different shops each week (she had the time) and consequently she knew what offers were on and bought the BOGOF's etc.

I managed to follow this kind of shopping regime for a number of weeks but lapsed back in to it.

Anyway - like Sainsbury's advertising (by us anyway) that this week they have potatoes and carrots and another veg - can't rembmer what the packs were just 30p per pack - IF you were to buy 3 packs of each and par boil/blanche them you could freeze them and they would be towards your meals - likewise (my customer) would go buy an £8 joint of beef and cut it into 3 - she had a meat slicer machine and cut the meat really thinly and it went round the 4 of them with what seemed like loads on the plate.

She'd buy cheese when it was on offer and cut it into smaller pieces and freeze that too.

You have spurred me on to thinking that I really must cut back on shopping bills - whilst I have been on SW my bills are ever increasing again.

My cousin tells me that Alpen light bars are a lot cheaper in Homebargains - and the mugshots etc are really cheap there too.

BUT it's having the time to do all the shopping around.

Good luck getting back on track - you know you can do it.

Best Wishes.

If you look on each supermarkets website they show you what offers they have on in store. ( if you have ordered online shopping with them, your favourites will show any offers on the things you like to buy)

Thanks for all the advice, some good money saving tips :)
Now all i need to do is decide whether to do it on my own or join a class.
Been weighed at tesco today and bought new sw mag and big writing pad for recipes / diaries etc.
Thanks again xx

Back