Needing help.

laurenmay

Gold Member
I'm struggling so much to get back into dieting, healthy eating and exercise. This is the biggest I've ever been and as each day passes I'm getting heavier and heavier... I keep battling with which path to take towards getting to my goal weight - one minute I'm set on calorie counting with exercise, then the next I change my mind and lean towards a VLCD like slim & save to get as much weight off as quicky as possible.

I'm 5ft 3, 22 years old and 215lbs. I have 85lbs to lose and once I'm on a diet path I do great! but it's just finding which path to take..

As much as I try I just have zero motivation to exercise at the moment, and struggle to find the time with work and my son... I'm just stuck and I hate it.

OK first of all take three long, slow, deep breaths. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I've seen loads of your posts all over the board. We have quite similar stats (I'm 5'3 and around 224lbs (16st), wear a size 18 jeans and 16 top). I've been in exactly the same predicament as you - wondering what way is best, what should I do, can I stick to it, etc. The thing is it's all so overwhelming. Not just the sheer number and variety of diets but the actual amount of weight/size I need to lose. I think it's THAT - the amount of weight I have to lose - that's messing with my head. It seems almost impossible. I know it's not, but it just seems like it's so much that I'll never do it. I have size 10 jeans in my wardrobe and I haven't got a clue how I used to fit into them.

I'm guessing you're feeling very similar?

I did do a short stint on a VLCD last year. I had amazing results. Dropped two sizes in 3 weeks. Lost about 20lbs in 3 weeks. (Kept it off until a big life disaster earlier this year too, then I gained everything back plus 10lbs more!) Even knowing that I could get these results again if I could just get through the first couple of days I've still been unable to get going.

I can't decide between slow and steady with making long term changes along the way or just doing the hardcore VLCD thing and focussing on the new habits once I'm at goal. I keep thinking I should just go ahead with a VLCD because dieting is hard no matter what so I might as well get it over with ASAP! I've been considering JUDDD too.

I don't have any major advice. I'm in the same place as you. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

Hi Laurenmay, Gosh, you certainly have been up and down lots of diets and hopeful roads without really getting anywhere! Just had a quick look thro' your posting history and see that the same thread is evident all the way...I do sympathise with you as I have had many of the same journeys which can be very soul destroying.
How do you get from there to a definite weight loss program? Would it help just a wee bit if I tell you that you are in the best time of your life to get things going! The longer you procrastinate the harder it gets for your body to lose the weight. ...and I used to go to gyms when I was in my 60s (and overweight at that) There are plenty of people who will be there who have the same incentive to lose weight and to get fit at the same time.
Try to stop thinking about how difficult it is going to be and just take one day at a time...just like alcoholics, it's a day at a time and rejoice at the end of each successful day. Don't beat yourself up if you have a blip..just get back to things a.s.a.p. and have a good time with lots of new recipes or foods and relax.
All the very best to you... :)

blob said:
OK first of all take three long, slow, deep breaths. I know exactly where you're coming from.

I've seen loads of your posts all over the board. We have quite similar stats (I'm 5'3 and around 224lbs (16st), wear a size 18 jeans and 16 top). I've been in exactly the same predicament as you - wondering what way is best, what should I do, can I stick to it, etc. The thing is it's all so overwhelming. Not just the sheer number and variety of diets but the actual amount of weight/size I need to lose. I think it's THAT - the amount of weight I have to lose - that's messing with my head. It seems almost impossible. I know it's not, but it just seems like it's so much that I'll never do it. I have size 10 jeans in my wardrobe and I haven't got a clue how I used to fit into them.

I'm guessing you're feeling very similar?

I did do a short stint on a VLCD last year. I had amazing results. Dropped two sizes in 3 weeks. Lost about 20lbs in 3 weeks. (Kept it off until a big life disaster earlier this year too, then I gained everything back plus 10lbs more!) Even knowing that I could get these results again if I could just get through the first couple of days I've still been unable to get going.

I can't decide between slow and steady with making long term changes along the way or just doing the hardcore VLCD thing and focussing on the new habits once I'm at goal. I keep thinking I should just go ahead with a VLCD because dieting is hard no matter what so I might as well get it over with ASAP! I've been considering JUDDD too.

I don't have any major advice. I'm in the same place as you. I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

It's comforting to know there's someone who feels the same way and understands what I'm going through, but at the same time it's sad because I don't want anyone to feel like this!

Something in my head seems to think that the hardest part of losing the weight is choosing which diet to follow, and that as soon as I make that decision then I've magically overnight done it and I'll be skinny again!

I hate myself for this, cause only a year ago I was 9st 10lbs, slim, healthy and happy! And like you half my wardrobe is full of size 8's and 10's and I look at them and think "how did I ever fit into those?!"

I do feel like its impossible cause I've got so much weight to lose, even though I know it's not and its just gonna take hard work... I too bounce back and forth between slow & steady or a VLCD and getting as much off as quickly as possible. It's so frustrating.

Emmaline said:
Hi Laurenmay, Gosh, you certainly have been up and down lots of diets and hopeful roads without really getting anywhere! Just had a quick look thro' your posting history and see that the same thread is evident all the way...I do sympathise with you as I have had many of the same journeys which can be very soul destroying.
How do you get from there to a definite weight loss program? Would it help just a wee bit if I tell you that you are in the best time of your life to get things going! The longer you procrastinate the harder it gets for your body to lose the weight. ...and I used to go to gyms when I was in my 60s (and overweight at that) There are plenty of people who will be there who have the same incentive to lose weight and to get fit at the same time.
Try to stop thinking about how difficult it is going to be and just take one day at a time...just like alcoholics, it's a day at a time and rejoice at the end of each successful day. Don't beat yourself up if you have a blip..just get back to things a.s.a.p. and have a good time with lots of new recipes or foods and relax.
All the very best to you... :)

Thank you, I should focus on one day at a time rather than the months ahead of me that I know will be hard.. and I do want to make the change and slim down as soon as possible while I'm young enough for it to be easier somewhat. Thanks and all the best to you too :)

hi laurenmay i also struggle with a diet so i joined slimming world and i have found that is good for me just keep remember that you will get there in the end good luck

I'm also in the same predicament. I'm toying with Slimming World and calorie counting. The only problem I have is that Slimming Worlds costs weekly, whereas calorie counting is free. People seem to get similar results doing either.

I did a VLCD about two years ago now, I wouldnt do it again. The first couple of weeks I lost about a stone, but the weeks after that I was loosing a pound at a time. I dont believe in spending £40 a week to loose a pound, when I could do that for nothing by calorie counting.

hi i only lost 2lb this week and want to lose alot more so i am still going to slimming world but also going to start calorie counting as well. good luck in makeing your mind up and letb me know what you are going to do

Yes, Just take a little step each day and you will get there. Sometimes decisions look overwhelming if we look at the whole big picture of things but one little step at a time leads to the bigger steps.

Back