Negative Calories?

carly taylor

Likes food too much!
Somtimes when i'm at the gym I burn more than 600 calories i get from exante, so effectively taking in negative calories. Is anyone else doing this, and if so is it helping or hindering your weight loss?

Hi Carly, I go to the gym regularly and either swim or do a class, ie. Zumba or aqua aerobics. I burn off more than 600 cals too and do not have fab losses. Last week I only lost 1.5lb and after having a sneaky weight this morning, haven't lost much more this week (official WI tomorrow).

Yes, it is totally demotivating but what's the alternative. At least we are toning up as we go along and changing our body shape. I would like to lose more weight obviously, but think the way I'm doing it is better for me. Exercise at the same time so I don't have all my excess to tone up after.

Firstly, Well done on the gym work to both of you! it takes dedication! the rest of this is my rammblings - my own personal view as a random person and in no way a qualified professional!

Now, technically we are all in negative calories, we have calorie requirements for just living, being sleep uses them as does every activitiy, you can work it out basically with your basic metabolic rate (lots of websites for working this out) and for me personally it is about 1700-1800Kcal for just living for a day, so with my 600Kcal from exante i am in about 1200 negative Kcals a day, everyone doing this diet will be in the same situation to varying degrees. if I did 600Kcal work out then i would up my deficit to -1800Kcal.

The impact of this is debateable... the body can only lose so much weight - the aim of the diet is to provide enough kcal to keep us out of starvation mode and to ensure we maintain a manageable loss. There is a thought that if you exercise then you might affect this balance, i know in the days of cambridge dieting i was always told if i was to do a a few 5 mile distances a week then i would need to have 1400kcal min and that i couldn't do the sole source. So there is balance to be reached and this might be part of the reason why you think you might be loosing less than you expect?

The second point is the one Mia makes really well! the biggest problem with these diets is we lose the weight and then stop and it all comes back on because we eat again, by working out we build muscle and this helps us increase the basic need of our body so when we stop we have a better body composition. It also gets us into that frame of mind of working out tto maintain our weight. and it might help make a nice figure there so when you do uncover it with your weight loss its even more impressive!!!

The last kinda point i think is the most important!!!
I'll use myself as an example.... I'm overweight! but i exercise so my blood pressure and the like isn't high and i am remotely fit! loosing weight on these diets is amazing and your body will thank you for it but it doesn't make you phyiscally fit, it doesn't give you health alone! the government recommends that 30mins of good exercise, there are lots of "normal" weight people who are unfit and so are at increased risk of heart problems and the like and this is the biggest impact of exercise! it keeps you healthy!

So i think if you can carry on i think your end product will be worth it! If you make sure you're not starving yourself and that you feel good then i think its comendable of you!

Excellent post podgyman! Not really much else to add to that, but Exante also recommend 20 minutes exercise daily which they recommend combining with their TS solution for "best results"

podgyman said:
Firstly, Well done on the gym work to both of you! it takes dedication! the rest of this is my rammblings - my own personal view as a random person and in no way a qualified professional!

Now, technically we are all in negative calories, we have calorie requirements for just living, being sleep uses them as does every activitiy, you can work it out basically with your basic metabolic rate (lots of websites for working this out) and for me personally it is about 1700-1800Kcal for just living for a day, so with my 600Kcal from exante i am in about 1200 negative Kcals a day, everyone doing this diet will be in the same situation to varying degrees. if I did 600Kcal work out then i would up my deficit to -1800Kcal.

The impact of this is debateable... the body can only lose so much weight - the aim of the diet is to provide enough kcal to keep us out of starvation mode and to ensure we maintain a manageable loss. There is a thought that if you exercise then you might affect this balance, i know in the days of cambridge dieting i was always told if i was to do a a few 5 mile distances a week then i would need to have 1400kcal min and that i couldn't do the sole source. So there is balance to be reached and this might be part of the reason why you think you might be loosing less than you expect?

The second point is the one Mia makes really well! the biggest problem with these diets is we lose the weight and then stop and it all comes back on because we eat again, by working out we build muscle and this helps us increase the basic need of our body so when we stop we have a better body composition. It also gets us into that frame of mind of working out tto maintain our weight. and it might help make a nice figure there so when you do uncover it with your weight loss its even more impressive!!!

The last kinda point i think is the most important!!!
I'll use myself as an example.... I'm overweight! but i exercise so my blood pressure and the like isn't high and i am remotely fit! loosing weight on these diets is amazing and your body will thank you for it but it doesn't make you phyiscally fit, it doesn't give you health alone! the government recommends that 30mins of good exercise, there are lots of "normal" weight people who are unfit and so are at increased risk of heart problems and the like and this is the biggest impact of exercise! it keeps you healthy!

So i think if you can carry on i think your end product will be worth it! If you make sure you're not starving yourself and that you feel good then i think its comendable of you!

Interesting reading - thank you! :)

Well said!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back