New and with a query about exercise.

1888ghirl

Firstly, what a great forum. Registered yesterday and have spent the last 24 hrs reading through lots of inspiring and helpful threads.

Now onto my query. I have been dieting since Dec 26th and have so far lost between 21/25 lbs. I hadn't weighed myself as the first bout of weightloss was due to illness.

I have carried on and in the last 10 days I have been exercising everyday. Mostly walking about 5 miles over a rough country path (audiobooks on my mp3 player have been a lifeline). My query is, I have tried running every so often but only seem to be able to do about 200 yrds at a time. Should I just keep doing this and will I be able to run longer distances by doing this or is there something else I should be doing?

Many thanks in advance of your replies.

I will update my user cp thingy soon :)

If you are enjoying your walks then carry on with them it is really good to have a small burst of running, as long as you feel comfitable then carry on. you will surprised how quickly your 200 yards will soon become 400 yards and so on. keep up the good work :)

I started yesterday:eek:

I only managed 5 x 60 secs of running with the 90 sec brisk walk in between :sigh: So failed on the 20 minutes of the routine as stated. I will try again today and go for 6.

I know on that website it states that you should only do this 3 times a week. I have been walking for about 1 1/2 hours a day for a teeny wee while. I don't want to stop. Should I just walk today and then go for 6 tomorrow?

Sorry for all the annoying questions:eek:

I started yesterday:eek:

I only managed 5 x 60 secs of running with the 90 sec brisk walk in between :sigh: So failed on the 20 minutes of the routine as stated. I will try again today and go for 6.

I know on that website it states that you should only do this 3 times a week. I have been walking for about 1 1/2 hours a day for a teeny wee while. I don't want to stop. Should I just walk today and then go for 6 tomorrow?

Sorry for all the annoying questions:eek:

I would have thought that you should keep doing what you normally do but add this plan on top.

You really should follow the plan closely (esp the rest days) as running is much tougher on your bones, joints and feet than walking.

I read that if you didn't manage to do well with one session, repeat it on your next day and go from there.

Okay I managed 1 more than last time. Good I think. I am knackered now. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed if they are on a get fit regime that everything seems closer?

I was walking to the shops this morning and they seemed much closer or it took much less time to get there than normal.:D

I am loving this get fit bit of the change in lifestyle. Although, I have noticed that I can't seem to sleep in. I am awake much earlier than I would normally get out of bed. Is this normal? I don't seem to be able to sleep more than 5 1/2 hrs.

First of all, isn't this forum fantastic? I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a great form of support and information. Don't think I could do this without it.

Also, well done with your weight loss so far, it's very impressive! What diet are you on?

Like Chocolatecat said, the rest days are very important. I used to be quite a good runner when I was 50 pounds lighter. I tried to get back into it and I jogged a half 4 times a week and I could feel my ankles becoming weak. Then I went for a walk outside and slipped on some ice and sprained my ankle. What I mean is that really listen to your body and see what seems natural and good. The walking you're doing now I'm sure is sufficient.

I found that when I started exercising again, I spent more of my energy so I went to bed earlier and slept better. I don't know about sleeping only five and a half hours, but maybe you're just adapting?

Good luck x

First of all, isn't this forum fantastic? I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's a great form of support and information. Don't think I could do this without it.

Also, well done with your weight loss so far, it's very impressive! What diet are you on?

Like Chocolatecat said, the rest days are very important. I used to be quite a good runner when I was 50 pounds lighter. I tried to get back into it and I jogged a half 4 times a week and I could feel my ankles becoming weak. Then I went for a walk outside and slipped on some ice and sprained my ankle. What I mean is that really listen to your body and see what seems natural and good. The walking you're doing now I'm sure is sufficient.

I found that when I started exercising again, I spent more of my energy so I went to bed earlier and slept better. I don't know about sleeping only five and a half hours, but maybe you're just adapting?

Good luck x

I am just watching what I am eating. It fits in better with my lifestyle. It means that at the moment for example I have my totm coming up and yesterday all I could think of was food. So I had a healthy-ish lunch and dinner and treated myself to a pack of rolos which I made last all night. I am trying to limit myself to 1200 calories and depending on what I eat I am quite often below that. It makes such a difference preparing food yourself.

I have had a significant change in my life and I realised that until that changed happened how much I was comfort eating due to stress and not huge amounts just crap basically.

I am also really enjoying the exercise part. Trying to get into this couch to 5k but messed up this weekend. Will attempt it again tomorrow. I have still been getting out and walking but no running over the weekend or today. I feel though as long as I am doing something I should be okay.

Your diet regiment sounds pretty similar to mine and also quite balanced. Well done, I'm sure if you keep it up you'll see results in no time x

ooh i might have to try this couch to 5k thing.... I need to start excercising now that I have 4 less stone to lug around with me!

Back