New book and changes, esp chicken skin

Lucylu79

Gold Member
My cons said sw have decided that too much fat gets absorbed when roasting a chicken and now we've got too remove the skin before roasting. I'm talking about a shoe one here mind.

Hope I'm ok in saying I never used too and so I won't now, I'd rather try and have less syns that day if I must.

Just wondering what other cons had said?

Odd actually because we were told something about supermarket cooked chickens being free (obviously if you don't eat the skin)! Again - common sense tells me that you do what you want to..

Forgotten about them, I read somewhere that some chickens were injected with fat to stay extra tasty but I'm not sure if that's true, I just don't eat them.

Lucylu79 said:
Forgotten about them, I read somewhere that some chickens were injected with fat to stay extra tasty but I'm not sure if that's true, I just don't eat them.

It's complete rubbish, but they do say the shop bought ones are not free anyway. It's nothing to do with injecting them though, just the way the are cooked.

It's complete rubbish, but they do say the shop bought ones are not free anyway. It's nothing to do with injecting them though, just the way the are cooked.

Sw confirmed to me via email that the tesco/asda chickens were fine to hav if I removed the skin. Granted that was 6month ago but if ok then why wouldn't it be ok now?

Sw confirmed to me via email that the tesco/asda chickens were fine to hav if I removed the skin. Granted that was 6month ago but if ok then why wouldn't it be ok now?

I haven't got the 1st clue! I just remember my consultant saying she had got new advice from head office, this was about 4 months ago I think.

I think like most of these things you should use your own judgement on it. I still eat them as free, but I din't eat the skin & stick to breast meat as its always leaner.

Omg! I'm shocked! Why an earth would supermarkets inject chickens with fat! Totally crazy. I buy my chicken from farmer so this is fine. So I need to remove the skin before cooking it? I thought it was the skin that kept them eat moist. I will follow the rules and do as I am told lol

Omg! I'm shocked! Why an earth would supermarkets inject chickens with fat! Totally crazy. I buy my chicken from farmer so this is fine. So I need to remove the skin before cooking it? I thought it was the skin that kept them eat moist. I will follow the rules and do as I am told lol

If you have a look in the new book it does say to remove all fat and skin before cooking now, I'm guilty of cooking bacon and then removing, perhaps if I struggled to lose I would change it to see if it helped.

I am an ex consultant, and we were always told to recommend moving the fat just so that you werent tempted to eat it. The theory that fat is absorbed into the meat is just not true. Obviously if you were going to make a stew with chicken legs, then removing the skin is needed or it would just become impossible later.

I find cutting bacon rid off with scissors before cooking much easier, and then remove the skin from chicken after (mostly cooked in the slow cooker so you really dont want to eat it!)

Also with the rotisserie chickens, we were told from head office 6 months ago, that 100g of cooked meat was 3 syns due to injecting oil. If you have asked and they dont do this then go for it, but remember that all they are trying to do is protect your weight losses.

Hope that helps
x

I cook whole chickens in the slow cooker - just add s & p, nothing else. When it's cooked the skin just falls off and the meat is delicious and moist - just pop it in and leave it, so easy!

So where does that put Nandos chicken then? Would it still be free on EE with no skin. This is confusing:confused:. Have to ask my consultant tomorrow.

My consultant was saying last week that the cooked chickens from supermarkets are free if you remove the skin, she was quite excited about it so had just been told that week.

I love supermarket cooked chicken, I guess I will just have ask them from now on

I cook whole chickens in the slow cooker - just add s & p, nothing else. When it's cooked the skin just falls off and the meat is delicious and moist - just pop it in and leave it, so easy!

I read yesterday somewhere about cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker with no added liquid and really want to try it! How long do you cook it for and what setting do you use please? X

I read yesterday somewhere about cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker with no added liquid and really want to try it! How long do you cook it for and what setting do you use please? X

Our slow cooker has Low or High setting - I cook on low, a medium chicken for 5.5 hours and a large chicken for 6 hours - obviously approx.

I do it all the time, so easy to do, really tasty and I then use the chicken for sandwiches or a roast or to mix with pasta. :D

I emailed the 4 big supermarkets regarding the rotisserie chicken issue, I'll post my mail and the replies below (no reply from Tesco!) I was also told by SW that the reason rotisserie chickens were synned was because they are sold with the skin on and are synned as though the skin was eaten?

Dear Sir/Madam

I was hoping you could give me some information regarding your rotisserie chickens?

I would like to know if these are free range chickens and also if anything is added to the chicken with regards to injecting or infusing any brine, sugar, oils or fats either before or during the cooking process? This does not include adding flavours to the skin.

As a member of Slimming world I am trying to work out the amount of syns in the rotisserie products as roast chicken with the skin and any fat removed is counted as “free” on our food optimising plan, this would though be compromised if any fats or sugars had been added to the flesh of the chicken prior to or during cooking.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Stuart Davies

ASDA

Dear Stuart

Thanks you for your email.

Our rotisserie chickens are not free range and we do not inject anything into the chickens prior to cooking. The only thing added is onto the skins for flavourings.

I have myself been a member of slimming world and used to buy these chickens on a regular basis and as long as all the skin was removed they were syn free.

Kind regards

Emma Mckee
ASDA Service Team

MORRISONS

Good afternoon Stuart

Thank you for your email and patience whilst I looked into this matter.

The technical team have advised me that our Oven Fresh chickens. Thighs, wings and drumsticks are not free range; however they are part of the Assured Food Standards red tractor scheme. In addition nothing is added to the product.

For more information please visit:-
www.redtractor.org.uk
Kindest regards,
Dawn
Customer Services Department
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC

SAINSBURYS

A phone call received fromSainsbury’s Careline,

They informed me that the rotisserie chickens are not free range but they are freedom foods accredited. Nothing is added to the chicken apart from herbs and spices to the skin.

Back