New book - HEXs!!

LOL! I think some people would *actually* explode if muller lights start being synned. SW have some sort of contract/promotional thingy going on with muller (did you notice the recipe book of desserts had a lot of muller light recipes in and was sponsored/endorsed/something like that by them?) so I doubt they'd become synned...

But I may be wrong!

Ok thanks :( It's 7.5 syns for one so I'll not be bothering with those!

Hi JimJam, I would count the Tesco pitta bread as HEB + 1 syn as the Asda one is 6.5 syns and your Tesco one is 7.5 syns. I looked on the Tesco and Asda websites and did a comparison between the two pittas and they're very similar;

ASDA Per pitta
Kcal: 132
Protein: 7g
Carbohydrate: 24g
Sugars: 0.9g
Fat: 0.9g
Saturates: 0.2g
Fibre: 3.3g
Sodium: 0.11g

TESCO Per pitta
Kcal: 145
Protein: 6.7g
Carbohydrate: 26.2g
Sugars: 2.0g
Fat: 1.5g
Fibre: 5.2g
Sodium: 0.2g

The Tesco one is a little higher in calories, salt, carbs, fat and sugar. They have the same level of saturated fat and the Tesco one is much higher in fibre than Asda. So obviously because the Tesco one is higher in calories, that accounts for the 1 syn extra. Its 13 Kcals higher than the Asda one and according to SW 1 syn = roughly 20 Kcals.

I don't think each type of pitta bread has to be made in exactly the same way with identical ingredients to be considered a HEX. Besides, how many ways are there to make pitta breads anyway? LOL! Just like regular sliced bread, I imagine that most pitta breads are made basically the same and if there are any differences in fat, calories, sugars etc, then the difference would be reflected in the extra syns.

I personally LOVE the food doctor multi seed & cereal pitta bread which has less sugar and double the fibre when compared to the Asda one. Its got more fat from the seeds in it and therefore more syns but from the nutritional value I'm more inclined to buying this and synning the difference than the Asda one.

The whole pitta bread issue seems to be a contentious subject so at the end of the day everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing. I don't see it as bending the rules if you eat a similar alternative to SW endorsed healthy extras and counting any added syns there might be. But that might just be me cuz I'm a gemini and I question everything :D

Last edited:
Hi JimJam, I would count the Tesco pitta bread as HEB + 1 syn as the Asda one is 6.5 syns and your Tesco one is 7.5 syns. I looked on the Tesco and Asda websites and did a comparison between the two pittas and they're very similar;

ASDA Per pitta
Kcal: 132
Protein: 7g
Carbohydrate: 24g
Sugars: 0.9g
Fat: 0.9g
Fibre: 3.3g
Sodium: 0.11g

TESCO Per pitta
Kcal: 145
Protein: 6.7g
Carbohydrate: 26.2g
Sugars: 2.0g
Fat: 1.5g
Fibre: 5.2g
Sodium: 0.2g

The Tesco one is a little higher in calories, salt, carbs, fat and sugar. They have the same level of saturated fat and the Tesco one is much higher in fibre than Asda. So obviously because the Tesco one is higher in calories, that accounts for the 1 syn extra. Its 13 Kcals higher than the Asda one and according to SW 1 syn = roughly 20 Kcals.

I don't think each type of pitta bread has to be made in exactly the same way with identical ingredients to be considered a HEX. Besides, how many ways are there to make pitta breads anyway? LOL! Just like regular sliced bread, I imagine that most pitta breads are made basically the same and if there are any differences in fat, calories, sugars etc, then the difference would be reflected in the extra syns.

I personally LOVE the food doctor multi seed & cereal pitta bread which has less sugar and double the fibre when compared to the Asda one. Its got more fat from the seeds in it and therefore more syns but from the nutritional value I'm more inclined to buying this and synning the difference than the Asda one.

The whole pitta bread issue seems to be a contentious subject so at the end of the day everyone should do what they feel comfortable doing. I don't see it as bending the rules if you eat a similar alternative to SW endorsed healthy extras and counting any added syns there might be. But that might just be me cuz I'm a gemini and I question everything :D
The amount of sugar and fat in it makes it unhealthy. That is why it is not a healthy extra. i personally don't hink it is a good idea making your own healthy extras as it becomes far too confusing especially in the early days (may be ok when at target )

I'm afraid I'm too much of a rebel for that. Hopefully, I know what I'm doing so it doesn't bite me in the a$$ eventually. Doubt it though, I didn't get fat eating wholegrain pitta bread, that's for sure :D

Not sure I agree with you honeyoc, we could all decide what we wanted to spend our 6 HEX "syns" on if we wanted to.
White sliced bread anyone? It's the same cals.....
Brightonrosie is quite correct. Also, I'm at target and I don't make my own HEX's up, I still follow the rules.

The lemon cheesecake muller is 1 syn per pot. The normal fruit ones still come up as free on the website.

Unfortunately I have to do what Honeyoc is talking about quite often, not by choice, but because I live in Canada and slimming world is very UK orientated, so not all the items are available to me. I have to make sensible alternatives, otherwise I would be very limited with my Healthy Extra choices.

I would think this is also the case for anyone following the plan from overseas.

Of course if you can get the suggested HE's exactly as stated then that''s great, but if you can't I don't think it is going to harm you if it is an occasional thing and the items you are having are very similar to the suggested ones. White bread is hardly a comparison to a wholemeal, seeded pitta bread high in fibre. One of the options for a healthy extra is 57g of any wholemeal bread. If you compare the nutritional information to different brands of wholemeal bread, you would be surprised just how different they are. This is I think what Honeyoc is referring to.

hi, measuring the difference doesnt matter cus the reason why its a hex is to do with the fiber content and well to be honest if tescos ones where hex then it would be in the progamme, if it was me i wud personally not touch the ones unless they where hex.

hi, measuring the difference doesnt matter cus the reason why its a hex is to do with the fiber content and well to be honest if tescos ones where hex then it would be in the progamme, if it was me i wud personally not touch the ones unless they where hex.

that is not strictly true though.

You are allowed 57g of any wholemeal bread as a healthy extra, if you were to compare all the different brands/makes of wholemeal bread, I can guarantee that they will not all have the same amount of fibre.

Last edited:
Phew. People on the SW facebook should not be trusted.

Definitely not!! I have been looking at some of the SW facebook pages (there are quite a lot of them) today and there is an awful lot of misinformation there.

(And yes I do realise that some people who post here also post on the FB pages and of course the above does not apply to them - she says, hastily!)

I understand what you're saying Honeyoc but the tesco ones are quite a bit higher in fat and sugar so that's probably why they aren't on the list. I'll ask my C on Wednesday and see what she says about counting a heb and 1 syn for them x

You cannot count HEX's plus syns, it simply is not allowed!!
I've heard people count golden syrup oatsosimple as a HEX (for the plain) plus syns yet there is so much more sugar in the syrup flavour.
I've also known people have any cereal bar they fancy if it's below 120cals.
If the Tesco pitta was a HEX then it would be on the list, not plus any syns but on the list of allowed products.
I hope that makes sense?
It's entirely up to individuals how they follow the plans but to be honest the more you adapt the plans to fit your own rules, the more likely you are to slip up.
My opinion of course.

You cannot count HEX's plus syns, it simply is not allowed!!
I've heard people count golden syrup oatsosimple as a HEX (for the plain) plus syns yet there is so much more sugar in the syrup flavour.
I've also known people have any cereal bar they fancy if it's below 120cals.
If the Tesco pitta was a HEX then it would be on the list, not plus any syns but on the list of allowed products.
I hope that makes sense?
It's entirely up to individuals how they follow the plans but to be honest the more you adapt the plans to fit your own rules, the more likely you are to slip up.
My opinion of course.
I agree wholeheartedly
I am happy for people to change the plan to suit them but I don't feel they should be advising others to do so. Some people genuinely want to know more about the real slimming world plan not some other diet put together with bits of this and bits of the other. It's a bit like someone saying follow slimming world but don't forget to weigh your pasta if you want to lose weight. Either follow the plan or not. People are confused enough when things change.

that is not strictly true that you can't count a HE and syn the rest, as you can do this if you buy a ready made wholemeal sandwich and deduct the syns for your HEb and then syn the rest. This is allowed and confirmed by slimming world. I never do this though, would much rather make my own sandwich. Although I rarely eat sandwiches lol, prefer to have something more filling now.

Here in Canada we are allowed Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup Mini Wheats as a HEb, they are very sugary. I was surprised to find we are allowed them to be honest, but the fibre is obviously enough in them for them to add them as a HEb.

To be honest I think slimming world probably shouldn't of added the Asda pitta bread as a HE. Because not everyone is going to be able to get that certain one and they will be temped to substitute all the time. If they are going to add a new item, I think they need a much wider brand of them available.

Last edited:
Hex b isn't only about the fibre otherwise you wouldn't be allowed cheese and olive oil. None of us really know the formula how they work these things out It is best left up to them.xxx

is it £10 per book or do they come in a pack? Would you say they are worth buying or can you manage with the old ones and the food directory if you are doing EE?[/QUOTE
They come as a pack. I think the book is much more user friendly in the way it is laid out now but you could manage without them x

Oh lawd! Okay firstly, please don't mistake my response to JimJams post as me advising her on what to do. In my post I mentioned what I would do, presented facts as to why and said at the end that we're all free to do SW as best it suits us. Please don't think I'm trying to shove my SW habits down your throats! Ack!

We know that HEXs are not just about the fibre but where breads and cereals are concerned it is largely about fibre content, which is what we're discussing here and what I based my comparisons on. I understand and respect everyone's desire to follow the rules to the letter, no questions asked, but like I said I'm more of a lateral thinker and like to glean the core principles and extrapolate from there, where it makes sense. I would eat the food doctor multi seed & cereal pitta and count it as HEB + syns, I wouldn't deduct 6 syns from whatever I like and call it a HEX, I wouldn't eat white bread and call it a HEX (except nimble white) and I wouldn't mix and match bits and pieces of the diet to suit me. If I did I wouldn't have the losses I've had, while enjoying great food.

But seriously y'all don't sweat it. There's room for A+ students and rebels like me in SW and on the forum I think.... I hope!

Back