new food ideas

Have you tried using quorn products for your meals? They are low in fat and calories :)
Here are a few ideas....
Vege mince spag bol. Just chop up an onion (mushrooms and peppers if you want too) ,put it in a saucepan, chuck in some passata and the mince,heat up and serve with some spaghetti.

I got some sweet chilli stir fry sauce from tesco,put that with quorn pieces,and then served with rice and peas,was lovely.

Quorn cottage pies are yummy,only 200cals and £1 from tesco.

You can have sausage and mash and veg.

I love pitta breads with cheese triangles and cherry tomatoes in them,I have 2 of those and a huuuge salad.

ok Im gonna shut up now coz I could go on forever....I like my food,can you tell lol

Claire x

Thanx Claire but i've never tried Quorn i have got some extr lean mince in the freezer, i'm missing my HOT currys and chilli but i dont want the tango effect. lol

i agree quorn is great , i love quorn , i also like some of the weightwatchers ready meals but make sum veggies seperate to bulk them out and add more vitamins =D x

i make all my (mince meals) out of extra lean mince, and ive had no problems.... so all i can say is give it a go....
make your chilli (but make sure there isnt any other fatty things in the recipie...)

I've got extra lean mince and i've had a look at the other ingredients and i can make a chilli for about 9.5g of fat which is good so i will put a salad on the side should be ok i will let u know lol. But i really need a curry Tescos have only got a lighter choice korma and i need mine hot.

You shouldn't be missing out , take time out and trail the net there plenty off recipes for currys , take a look at them and just replace anything high fat with a lower fat alternative , I found one for a buhna replaced the butter for Greek natural yogurt and it turned out to be the best curry I ever made!!!

asda also do low fat curry sauces.. (got some the other day... although i dont know why when i can make the sauce myself.. lol)

check out most supermarkets will have something....

recipie for mushy pea curry is on my food thread!

NO please not mushy peas, but thank all i will go and have a good look around. I have orderd some slimming world receipe books from the library that should be good as well.

take a look at my food thread... Curries galore on there!!!! All make from scratch though.. But really hot!!!

If ur looking fpor low fat meals look in the Weight Watcher section its got loads of good recipes at the start and most of them are under 10g of fat :D

If you are happy to cook from scratch I can type in some really good very low fat/low cal curry recipes. Just say the word.

OK, first one is a Kerala Prawn Curry - I live in rural North Yorkshire, so I struggle to get the black mustard seeds, fenugreek and curry leaves, but if you can get them it's tasty. The recipe serves 2, and my recipe book says has 294 calories and 16g fat (but you only have to replace the tbsp of oil with a few sprays of Fry Light or similar to take it below 15g per serving):

2 red chillies, seeded and halved
1 red onion
1 fat clove of garlic
1" piece of fresh ginger
1 tbsp mild and light olive oil (or use an oil spray to get the fat below the 15g limit)
1 tsp black mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
14 curry leaves, fresh or dried
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp cracked black peppercorns
150ml (half can) reduced-fat coconut milk
9oz cooked and peeled jumbo prawns (I've used raw - even nicer - just cook for an extra 2 minutes)
Chopped fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime, to serve.

1. In a food processor, blitz the chillies, onion, garlic and ginger with 3 tbsp of water and a pinch of salt to a smoothish paste.

2. Heat the oil in a wide shallow pan or wok. Toss in the mustard and fenugreek seeds and curry leaves - they should crackle and pop - and fry for 10 seconds. Add the onion/chilli paste, lower the heat and cook without colouring for about 5 minutes. Splash in some water if it starts to catch.

3. Add the turmeric and peppercorns and stir in for a few seconds. Pour in the coconut milk and bring to a simmer, stirring all the time, then lower the heat and add the prawns. Cook for 1-2 minutes until heated through. Squeeze over some lime and sprinkle with coriander to serve.

Back