New Girl Here: What Is Everyone's Story?

LittleMissThin 17

wants to be skinny ♥
Hey, I'm new on here and I was wondering what everyone's weight loss story was?

Why did you pick WW? Why did you get to your heaviest weight? How long has it taken to get to goal (if you are)? And how long have you struggled with your weight? Feel free to mention anything I haven't asked; I'm just curious :D

My personal story (the brief version! the long would take ages to type up):

As long as I can remember I have felt chubby and hated PE in school. At secondary school I hit puberty early as so put on weight before many other kids. They called me fat.

My mother was a WW leader and gave me my first experience of it at 13. I always came out as overweight on the charts and wanted to be less than I was.

I just got heavier and heavier because I avoided PE (thanks to a ***** of a teacher) and ate junk food. I stabilised my weight as I hit my late teens- still overweight though.

Then out of the blue (January '09), my dad died and I gained 21 lbs out of nowhere (literally- I didn't eat anything for weeks) taking me up to a size 16 and 172 lbs (12 stone 4 lbs) for his funeral. I'm short so I looked AWFUL this heavy. Around this point complete strangers started shouting abuse about my weight and figure at me in the street- I was 17 and most of them were older men. :cry:

It took me two years to lose 15.5 lbs through trying to do it myself (including exercising- I discovered I love exercise and just hate sports) and then January 5th this year, I joined WW with my mum (at one of the classes my mum used to run) at 156.5 lbs. I knew I would make myself do it if I had to pay so much each week to be weighed by someone else- and my mum losing 4 lbs in her first week certainly inspired me.

I am now 19 and down to 138 lbs with 12 lbs to go! (I think- having always been overweight, 9st is my current goal based on guessing how I will look- if that makes sense!) :D

And yep, that was supposed to be brief lol :p

For me the beginning was fairly similiar to yours. (substitute WW leader mum for WW obsessed mum and its the same!) Puberty hit and the weight crept on. I levelled out at 13.5 stone and stayed this weight till i moved out to my own place. Gained 5 stone and lost 3.5 with WW 2 years later. Maintained this till i fell pegnant in 2007, gained a heackuva lot after DD was born and its yoyoed ever since. I am curently 21 stoneish and have come back to WW as i know it works and i dont have to deny myself anything.

My goal weight is around 10stone 7. Hopefully will be close to that this time next year.

How awful to be shouted at in the street at 17 :( There's a certain type of man that can be so insensitive! Well done for losing the weight and finding a love of exercise though :D

My own story involves a weight-loss obsessed mum too. Well, maybe not obsessed, but I'm sure that her attitude was what made me feel it was normal to have weight issues. At 10 I started being aware of these things and thought I was fat (damn you puberty, lol). I was about 4ft10 (the height I am now at 29), and weighed 8st, which was probably fine. When I started secondary school, school dinners contributed to me putting on half a stone (the sausage rolls were the only thing that looked nice!). I was a size 14 as soon as I started wearing women's sizes. I stayed around 8st 7 all the way through school, always thinking I was fat but not really doing anything about it. Oddly enough, 8st 7 is now my target weight!

I went to uni at 19, and I think actually lost weight in my first year because I was very frugal with my money and my eating. A couple of people told me I looked slimmer, but I never weighed myself to find out. At 20, I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. So all those years I'd thought I was fat, I'd just needed to take thyroxine, dammit.

At 21, I moved in with two girls called Jo and Mia who I got on ok with, but who didn't get on with each other. Jo moved out at the end of my first year living there, and in my second year in the house, I realised why. Mia was a stoner which made her way paranoid, and very hard to live with. I started avoiding her, so instead of making meals in the kitchen I'd just buy chips and take them up to my room. I met a boyfriend around then too, and we'd just eat loads of junk when he came round. All that contributed to weight gain - I think I was about 10st when I graduated (at 23), though I was still a size 14.

Overeating became comfort eating when the boyfriend broke up with me, and continued long after I had anything to comfort myself for!

I met my Simon when I was 24, and cosy nights in with takeaways meant that I was a size 16 by the time we moved in together in April 2007. By Feb of 2010, when I started WW, I was a size 18. Since then, I've lost nearly 2st. I still have problems with overeating when I'm down or bored, but I'm getting there! :D

For me it has always been the case of always being the slightly larger girl, i never have been skinny although dieted down to a size 10 when i was about 17; unhealthily i might add. At this point i was 140lbs (10stone) and was beginning to feel happy about my figure. I remember having size ten jeans and i felt amazing.

However due to stress involving a levels and social anxiety i binge ate for about five months. Before i knew it i was up to a large size 12 and getting tubby. I was in the 160's here. My boyfriend moved in and we ate junk; he is naturally slim and can eat whatever he wants and will not gain weight. I ate takeaways, chocolate, crisps and large large portions with him. I reached a size 14/16 in jeans and thats where lead to me ww.

My goal is a size ten. I started ww on 17/04/11 and since i have lost 6lbs..i am now 175lbs and for the first time in a long time weigh less than my boyfriend. My goal is 147lbs or 10 stone 10 pounds. I turn 21 in Spetember and would love to be below 11 stone 7 by then, and i want to be in the 10 stones by Jan 2012.

I think my goals are reasonable and achievable if i stick to plan :)

My boyfriend moved in and we ate junk; (...) I ate takeaways, chocolate, crisps and large large portions with him. I reached a size 14/16 in jeans and thats where lead to me ww.

Living with your other half does seem to make a lot of people gain! you get all cosy with your takeaways and such. :rolleyes: I've put on the most weight since I met mine. Not that I would change him for the world :D

I see you've had SA, starkissed. I have that too. How are you getting on with it (if that's not too personal a question)? I've found that having places to go to (therapy, WW meetings, the JobCentre, etc.) have really helped with my fear of going out. :) x

No not at all :) with confiding in my boyfriend it has helped I don't feel so alone. I have good days were I can go places and meet new people ok and then bad were I can't leave the house and just feel so down.

I feel my weight is a stigma to the SA I mean the reason I freak about going out into social situations is the fear of being judged. It goes back along way and I guess feeling over weight and bigger compared to other girls mean I'm always thinking people are thinking I'm massive and unattractive.

I went to my gp about it he was confident the outside mental health team could help with cbt or something but they refused me help and I was given a lame website link which tbh does nothing for me.

I just hope when I become more self confident I will be able to lead a normal life with a normal social life and not have episodes when I'm asked to like go into my boyfriends work incase his work friends look at me!

It's nice to see others have the same issues :)

My story is a bit like The_Dark_Kight's as my weight ballooned at high school after being bullied ... then I hated PE and would use every excuse to get out of it...

While in school I was even referred to a dietician regarding my weight because it just made me depressed thinking about it... Now I'm not so depressed about it... If people don't like the way I look then tough luck as its none of their business!! ;) :D

I kept thinking my weight was staying the same which was at the highest about 13st 13lb... then my mum went to WW the other week and after having a Weigh In, she weighed herself at home to make sure the home scales were the same...and they are! Wooo So I weighed myself and I came out at 14st 11lb!!! I was very shocked and this made me follow WW with my mum.... :D

Now we are eating healthily I feel much better and I hope I can get to my target weight... a week on and I've lost 6lb which I was shocked about...and I hope I can steadily lose weight each week

Me and my mum are finding new recipes to use all the time and we have never used the kitchen as much as we have in the last two weeks!! :D xxxxx

I was always unhappy about being the chubby one all through school, though in my final year of school i probably put on a good stone through sitting eating chocolate in our common room.

I weighed in at 13stone 9pounds at the start of July 2008 and lost around a stone before I went to uni that autumn, during the course of the year I lost another 2 stone (over around 9 months) and then a stone over the following summer, getting me down to my goal weight of 9st 9 pounds.

I met my boyfriend not long after and although my weight fluctuated by a few pounds I was able to keep it under 10 stone until around April last year where I weighed 10st 5 pounds.
Although I wasnt comfortable at this weight I didnt really do anything to change it and my weight slowly crept up. I weighed myself around Easter this year and was horrified to find I was 11stone. Since then I have lost around 11pounds and am about 10st 3. I feel great right now but am focusing on getting back down to the 9's at the minute.

I was never big at school - not stick thin but average. Left school, developed asthmas and take aways and I'm sure you can imagine the result.
I've dieted in the past. Did SW and lost just under 2 stone in 2005. Went on 2 trips abroad within a month and put it all back on...and more. Got to my biggest ever during the last winter.
Sitting on the sofa one Sunday afternoon at the end of January, munching on a bag of vegetable crisps and suddenly realised that I was snacking. AGAIN! Had been looking at the Sainsburys diet since before Christmas but compared the price of that and WW online and WW was cheaper so joined there and then. Gobsmacked at the reading on the scales but that was perhaps a good thing. Never looked back. I've never achieved anything in quite the way I am achieving this.

Hiya, i picked ww because my mum had done the old plan and it seemed easy to follow. I got to my heavist last year. I have been in a relationship for 5 years and since leaving school and earning my own money me and the other half would buy takeaway as convience and just snack all night watching tv, followed by going out with my friends on a fri/sat night and drinking lots of alcohol!! not a good move & Im 12lbs off goal finding it harder every day but i have a picture of me from holiday last year so i just look at that when i think i need something fatty!!

I was chubby from around the age of 9 to 16 then I had a few slim years and started gaining weight again when I was 21. I can remember being on a diet as far back as primary school (I'm 42 now) and yet I found myself at nearly 23st at my heaviest. How does that happen? I've had a lifetime of saying no thankyou at buffets ect, or wondering if I'll fit in chairs if Im out. I've also had a lifetime of crippling social phobia, often staying home instead of facing a judging big bad world. Then I turned 40 and something changed. I don't know what it was but I started to view the world differently. I stopped hating myself. I stopped giving a damn about what other people thought of me. I really dont care! But most importantly losing weight became easier - not easy- just easier. I dont define myself by my size anymore. I look forward to losing more weight and I know its going to be a long journey but if I have bad days or dont get the results I want on weigh in day I wont beat myself up about it. I know get there in the end. :)

the reason I freak about going out into social situations is the fear of being judged. It goes back along way and I guess feeling over weight and bigger compared to other girls mean I'm always thinking people are thinking I'm massive and unattractive.

I've also had a lifetime of crippling social phobia, often staying home instead of facing a judging big bad world.

More than one of us with weight-related social anxiety/phobia then. Interesting. I always felt quite alone in those feelings, though that's generally how these things go! I could have written either of those quotes! Such a ear of being judged :rolleyes: I've found that my weight loss, alongside other factors, has really helped with my SA.

Then I turned 40 and something changed. I don't know what it was but I started to view the world differently. I stopped hating myself. I stopped giving a damn about what other people thought of me. I really dont care! But most importantly losing weight became easier - not easy- just easier. I dont define myself by my size anymore. I look forward to losing more weight and I know its going to be a long journey but if I have bad days or dont get the results I want on weigh in day I wont beat myself up about it. I know get there in the end. :)

I'm happy for you that you've developed such a positive attitude :D I'll get there one day too :)

I've always been a big guy, and never really liked PE at school to the point where I joined the school orchestra just to have an excuse to miss PE lessons. By the time I was 17 I was 18 and a half stone, but since then the weight piled on even more.
I was diagnosed with cancer the day before my 17th birthday, after I suppose once the treatment was over I started to eat to try to deal with the emotions I had built up from it...to the point that by my mid 20s, I was over 25-stone. It had started with being depressed about the likely consequences of my cancer treatment (given the nature of my cancer, I was told it's unlikely I'll be able to be a daddy), and in the end turned into me being depressed about my physical appearance & the changes in life as my friends all left for different universities. I found it so difficult to fit into a new crowd of people, and still do. My low self-esteem holds me back somewhat, and being my own worst enemy I add to that by comfort eating.
The whole situation changed a bit when I went to the doctors about 2-years ago for an ear infection (which I get a lot of), and for some reason the doctor decided to take my blood pressure. Probably just as well he did in retrospect, as my blood pressure was so dangerously high that it wasn't a matter of if something bad happened but just when. I was told it was then a matter of loosing weight, or being on medication to lower my blood pressure for the rest of my life. Not much of a choice really (if I'd taken the pills option, I'd have just carried on eating and would probably be up to 30-stone by now), and so I decided to give weight watchers a try. Largely because it was the one diet I could get my head around simply.
I stuck to it really well from around May 2009 to Christmas 2009, and dropped from 25-stone 4-pounds to 18-stone 11-pounds. I was thrilled with the loss, but then felt I should enjoy myself for Christmas...which in retropect turned out to be a mistake, as after Christmas I never really got back into dieting seriously. I'd try and last 3-weeks at most before giving up, and in the end I got back up to 22-stone. About a month ago I decided enough was enough, and that I'd make the effort to get at least back down to the 18-stone mark. Hoping I can stick to it this time.

This is a great way for us all to get to know each other a bit and offer support.

I started WW's only last week but I have struggled for a long time with food obsession and overeating. Three years ago I stopped drinking and using substances but then once I did that I ended up trying to cope with my feelings by eating. I binged and purged and went round in circles always feeling guilty. At my heaviest I was 15st 7lbs. Through my own persistence at following a healthy eating plan I have got down to 13st 11lbs but I felt stuck and guilty for eating chocolate and felt like I was fighting with myself. So I decided to go back to Weightwatchers as I had lost weight following that when I was 19 but kept failing as I would eat no points soup and then drink the rest of my points. Didn't really work and I wouldn't recommend it lol.

Since starting WW's last week I feel empowered. Like I am in control of my eating and I don't feel guilty anymore. It's a load off my mind and it has changed how I feel about myself.

I wish everyone luck and the courage to take an honest look at yourselves as I believe that was the key to my change in my state of mind :)

I was between a size 10 and a size 12 before I met my boyfriend...However he could eat what he wanted (not anymore I may add) and I would eat junk food with him. Takeaways were the worst thing and chocolate. Before I knew it I was a size 18. However turning 21 in september and having a fancy dress party I decided I wanted to loose weight and my mum did too so we started WW together I started WW weighing 17 stone 3 and am now down to 14 stone 2. I am happy with the weight loss and my mum is also doing extremely well loosing a total of 4 stone so far. We support each other and enjoy trying new meals. I like with WW if you want a takeaway you can still have one and they make allowances for you ti fit these in

I feel conscious talkin bout my weight normally n my bf doesn't even know how much I weigh or my dress size.

My story
As alot ov ppl I wasnt a stick at school. I got teased for it alot and by the tone I had left school I weight around 16 stone and was a size 16/ 18. I left school determined to shift the weight n lost 2 stone in about 2/3 months by becoming gym obsessed. I would go all the time even twice/ 3 times a day. I cut out all carbs, went off eggs and even milk. Dunno how I survived. I almost broke under the 13 stone barrier and then I fell pregnant. I was devastated.

Gave birth to my son.

Went to. A work Meetin 2 weeks later n all my pre pregnancy clothes fit n had a flat stomach agen. However, when I stopped breastfeedin, 3 months down the line I started to balloon. I have now tipped he scales at 18 stone and it just horrified me.

Before ww I tried sw (twice), only lost . I just could get my head around it at all. I'm not a big meat eater, but im not a big carb eater either.

Tried Cambridge. That really messed me up. I changed personality n became moody n teary and beat myself up when the second time I only lost 6 lbs in the first week. I wasn't feeling the starvation diet.

Which brings me to my current state. Weighing 17 stone 12. Been with ww 2 weeks, lost 3lbs first week. If I had the money I would have had a gastric balloon by now. This is my last hope.

My friend gets married in around 8/9 weeks in dominican republic. Im maid of honour and my dress is already here. I told her to order it 2 sizes smaller than what I currently am (18 top 22 bottom - damn u big hips!!!). The dress is here waiting for me but weight ain't gone yet.

Thank you for listening lol

I had been slim as a child and as a teenager and into my early twenties. My sister was the large one in the family and I was the thin one - or so I thought! People used to tell me that I was lucky because I could eat what I wanted and never gain weight, and as I was a steady size 10 up to my early twenties, I believed it too. So I ate and ate, I always had a big appetite. I started a job working permanent nightshifts when I was about 22 and it screwed up my eating habits. I didn't know when I should be eating breakfast or when I should be eating dinner so I ate all the time. A certain brand of deep pan frozen pizza came on the market at the time and I became addicted to them, I ate one everyday -over 1000 cals- and followed it with a tub of Haagan Daz ice cream! The factory work was so boring that we used to go out to the vending machines in the canteen and get choc and crisps just to relieve the monotony. I had my first steady boyfriend and we ate at restaurants and had takeaways all of the time. After a year I was a size 16 and my weight went up and up until I was a size 20 and over 13 stone.
So remember the stick insect you see today could be joining WW in a year's time !

Back