New start

Just finished work so been a long day.
Been to get water from shop as that's defo a down fall. I drink diet juice and coffee with sweetener. Maybe too much sweetener. Exercise defo need to put that on the agenda.
Starting tomorrow with smaller regular meals and water,water and more water.
Let's see how I get on.
thanks for the advice.
K xxxx

Blimey that is a long day!
Hope the next few days go well - I'm only on week 2 and seem to suddenly be losing weight at a snails pace too :( - so if you gather any more advice on how to jump the weight loss up a gear I am all ears! The water is a pain when you're working because you need to pee all the time but has gotta be done...I've just told everyone what I'm doing so they don't think i have some bladder issue.
When's your weigh in day?
Amanda xxx

Staff training session. Normally finish at 6.
My weigh day is a Saturday. I feel it's motivation for the weekend.
Will definitely share any weight loss tips if I find any on my way lol. It's so frustrating not seeing as must loss as expected. I uses to weigh every day as I was so obsessed with losing but have found if I leave it till once a week I'm not disappointing myself when I fluctuate up and down.
Hopefully we can keep each other right and boost each other along the way xxx

Defo defo - that's what so great about these diaries - I think i am guilty of weighing myself everyday, I know I shouldn't but just can't help it I get so curious! Good luck for Saturday...I have to weight till Mon for my official weigh in - wish the days would go faster!
Amanda xxx

Arrrggghhh weigh day and I've put on 2 pounds lol. Need to 're look over induction. Must be doing something wrong. How's everyone else getting on xx

Ok here it goes.......

No breakfast find I don't have time to eat and not hungry.

Lunches :
Tuna mayo lettuce tomato and cucumber cheese
Chicken and bacon mayo lettuce cucumber tomato cheese
Packet ham mayo lettuce tomato cucumber cheese

Dinners :
Meat with Brussels
Meat with cabbage
Meat with salad
Steak with cream cheese and pepper sauce Brussels

Meat - chicken thighs, gammon, steak, pork chops,

Only have 2 meals

Been drinking loads of coffee with sweetener maybe 5 cups with 2 sweeteners a cup

Loads of diet juice

Not a lot of water.

As of yesterday I've cut out caffeine and sweetener. Drinking little amounts of diet lemonade and exchanging coffee for ginger and lemon tea....

I'm so disheartened. Going on holiday end of march and don't want to be uncomfortable.

K xxx

Ugh poor you - when you put in the work but the scales don't play ball its such a pain!
The advice I'll give is pretty standard but here goes:
1 - breakfast! It kick-starts your metabolism so before you eat it, you don't metabolize properly and lose less weight. If you REALLY can't face it (though try!) have a pint of ice-cold water then a coffee in the morning: this will go some way to 'waking up' your metabolism so you don't waste huge chunks of the day burning as few calories as if you were sleeping.
2 - cut out the tomato: it has sugar
3 - watch how much cabbage/salad/cucumber you eat - they're all v low in carbs obviously but they all add up! I can't believe how few you have to have in order to only eat less than 20 grams a day: trust nothing! Even packet ham has some carb grams! It only takes a few days of being weirdly anal about checking labels before you have a good idea of what is in what.
4 - I don't know the science behind why, but people are very sketchy about caffeine in ketosis- as they are about sweeteners. If you can bear to (I know - i am a caffeine junky in the extreme too), cut down to 2 or 3 cups of coffee?
5 - be really good with the water...'diet juice' doesn't sound like a good alternative: are you sure it has no sugar? The sodium in diet cokes and that kinda stuff is apparently bad for you in ketosis (when i was on the Cambridge diet they said i was only allowed one can a day, 2 if i was desperate) - But think of these things as EXTRAS and really try to have as much water as you can a day - I have around 4 litres! It really is one of the most important parts of the diet!!!
6 - portion control? Too much protein = glucose = insulin = no ketosis
7 - perhaps incorporate exercise? just a 20 min walk a day is better than nothing...Ipod in, coat on: you'll grow to enjoy them. Work something into a routine - I always feel way more motivated for the diet after the gym!
8 - get yourself some ketostix that you pee on to check you're in ketosis: they're really cheap, you can order then off amazon, like 100 for a fiver, and so if you're not in ketosis, you can add some of the changes to find out what works (you want to be on the salmon coloured ketosis colour - bright purple and you're not drinking enough, beige and you're eating too many carbs)

If it makes you feel better, I have had an appalling last few days - went out Friday, got drunk...cheesy chips ensued. Then 'hangover saturday' was disastrous, I just ate anything i wanted: burger, chips, ice cream, sugary cereal. So now repentant Sunday where i have to start the whole process of returning to ketosis...*sigh* . We can do this!
Amanda xxx

Thank you Amanda. Your advise is amazing.
Keto sticks ordered. I have a dog so no excuse for not going out for walks...... Tomorrow is a new day and I'm on it.
Water water water. Limit coffee try to cut out diet juice and sweetener.

Amanda could you post a couple days of your daily eating :)

How do I measure out salad. What advise would you give for salads as I always make one for work.

Thanks hun.
K xxxx

You're very welcome :) and of course - although I am very short and generally don't need that many calories so it doesn't add up to the 2000 calories we're apparently supposed to have, i just know that is too much for me! Anyway:

Breakfast - I'm not a breakfast person really - like you - so everyday i have black coffee and the atkins day break "chocolate chip crisp" bars. You could also have like eggs and bacon but the thought of eggs in the morning is not the one for me...these are quick and easy and delicious.

Lunch - a tin of tuna with a tablespoon of mayo or a cheesy omelette or 3 boiled eggs or some chicken breast (maybe with a dollop of mayo)and about a lightly packed cup of lettuce or a quarter of a cucumber with all of then...alternatively if I'm not feeling hungary, I'll have an atkins shake

Dinner - Chicken fillet, steak, salmon steak, fish, gammon steak with cabbage or spinach or curly cale.

snacks - atkins bars, mini baby bells (eaten really slowly), nuts...after the first few days I found i wasn't hungry so didn't need to snack really

I mean my meals are the healthier side of the atkins i think but i find them delicious. I drink at least 500ml of water with every meal xxx

Great stuff. Thank you for sharing. I have loads of mayo so need to cut that out. I always have loads so it's smothered. So a tablespoon it is. Do you know if ginger and lemon tea is ok on Atkins?
All this help is made me more motivated really appreciate it.
Here's to a new week :thumbup:
Xxx

Hi kdl

Thanks for posting your menus. Suggestions -

- I would cut out tomatoes altogether to start off with - they are high in carbs, as are Brussel sprouts (I think) - get more leafy green stuff in there like spinach. During the first two weeks - Induction - there is a list of veg you should be trying to eat from. Check out Jim's So you're thinking of doing Atkins sticky for the list of A and B veg, you can have Bs only after you've had some of the As. No nuts on induction either.

- You need to become a real label detective for this to work - you're supposed to be keeping to 20g carbs a day, so use my fitness pal to calculate what you're having - eg packets of ham can be very high, ditto the mayo.

- I would also advise not having an Atkins bar, I know Amanda and others like them, but they stall many people and you need to cut things out that might stall you. I'm never hungry first thing so I make up little bacon and egg muffins (just some eggs, bacon, herbs and a bit of water, poured into a silicon muffin tray and baked for 30 mins) and take three to work to have with my ONE coffee a day.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't really ready labels, so that's going to have to change. I have some chicken breast cooking as we sleep so that will do for tomorrows lunch.
Cutting out tomatoes and going to drink loads of water.
Need to get to the shops and buy more leafy greens. Jim's post is thoughts reading :thumbup:

Thanks ladies xxxxx

Sorry kdl - I just realised I sounded like a right dragon lol - I'm not, really.

Have a good read of Jim's post, it gives you the basics on induction - and it is important to stick to it. There's no leeway with Atkins, no "just one won't hurt" - it does, and it will! But done properly, you will lose weight :)

Didn't get that impression at all lady so all good. Just really glad help is at hand. O had half a chicken breast for breakfast and a pint of chilled water.
Was easier than I thought xx

That's a great brekkie - it's really good to chuck the whole "I must have cereal for breakfast" idea out the window :)

I love leftover meat and sauteed cabbage for breakfast, and it's so filling, keeps you going until lunchtime, easily :)

And call me Susie x

Hehe yea Susie is defo better than calling you lady lol.
Yeah I used 1 and a half breast for lunch and thought bugger it i'll eat the other half for breakfast. don't think I could stomach eggs and bacon every morning xxx

All sounding good - must admit. Am now hooked on bacon & eggs for breakfast everyday:D

Back