New Survey confirms what I long suspected

mumtheshopper

Silver Member
Exercise makes very little difference to women's weight loss.

A long study has just concluded that over a 12 month period of increased and monitored exercise, men lost an average of 11bs, and women lost NOTHING.

Don't get me wrong, I love to exercise, and it has many, many benefits. I know that when going through a marriage break-up, running literally kept me off anti-depressants, (though my doctor kept presxcribing them). It makes me feel better. I actuallly get quite grumpy if I've not had a good work-ou for a while. I was up to a few months ago, doing regular 10k runs, 2 or 3 times a week. However, I have long felt that it makes absolutely no difference to my weight loss. In fact I put on 2 stone while running around 30-35k a week!!!

I read that too, when my marriage broke up in 2002 I joined the gym 4 times a week and lost 3lbs but what I lost was inches loads dropped 2 dress sizes in 6 weeks , I weighed 13st 8 yesterday and got on a size 14 fitted skirt usually without exercising I'd have to be 11.7 stone so I think it toned us up weightwise fats turned into muscle so weighs the same.
Exercise with a strict diet plan will lose weight as your burning more calories, just alone it doesn't. I think that artical was if the didn't cut back on calories but I know I'm not exercising so much 3/4 times a week as seems like there's no point doing loads x

I have to say I too never found exercise made much difference to my weight loss, but it does make me feel better about myself and fitter and makes it easier to choose healthy foods

Yeah, as I said, it does make me feel better. without a doubt. But everyone else always seemed to go on about exercise, and the weight you lose. ANd it really has never helped me with the weight loss at all. Lbs or inches!!

Ive never found exercise made a difference either. I remember one week I literally walked for miles that week seriously knackered. Also went to the gym 3 times and lost - 1.5lbs I could have wept!!

Might help with toning etc but Ive never seen ANY difference on the scales

I wouldn't say its makes a difference to my weight but to my body shape for sure!! you need to exercise to tone :D

Strict diet and exercise may work, but it's the strict diet that does it, not the exercise. It wold work without that. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of exercise, for so many reasons. I am just sick of being peddled the myth you can work off those pounds. I don't believe you can!!

Strict diet and exercise may work, but it's the strict diet that does it, not the exercise. It wold work without that. Don't get me wrong, I am an advocate of exercise, for so many reasons. I am just sick of being peddled the myth you can work off those pounds. I don't believe you can!!

No i toatlly agree!! last week i worked my arse off and lost 3lb this week i've done even more in the gym but i think i've only lost a lb!! :rolleyes:

Can someone link me to this article please? It definitely needs to be front and square on my Facebook. :D

What about The Biggest Loser?

Look at the losses on there & the amount of exercise they do!

I think you can definitely loose it quicker if you incorporate some exercise;)

I have avoided excercise, but I have found a monday morning ladies only session at my local leisure centre, and am really interested in going, but am dead scared to go on my own!! But I think i am going to do it!! just need motivation!! So hopefully, if it doesnt help my WL, it will get me fit!

This is a difficult one, and i'd say it all depends on the individual once again and what your own personal body prefers, with me i did loads of swimming 6hrs in 3 days for 6 weeks .... those 6 weeks i lost nothing sts all the time, as soon as i stopped the swimming i lost 4lbs lol for me i've realised that i cant lose weight whilst i exercise, therefore i am going to get to goal and then do the exercise because i feel it does help to tone you up and its a feel good factor, but for the first 6 or 7 months of WW i did no exercise and i still lost around 3stone without the exercise factor playing a part, so i'd agree on some levels that exercising doesn't help you lose the weight but it helps you maintain your weight and also helps to shape you

hey, i think everyone is different... i struggle to stick to a diet... but ive found that watching what i eat and going to the gym is making me lose inchs and i feel a lot better than when i just dieted... we need exercise to be healthy whether its to lose weight or not..
the biggest loser is a good example .. they work them so hard and the results are amazing!
plus.. if going to the gym and exercising tones you up and makes you lose inches isnt that the point anyway?? to become a smaller dress size?? i know id prefer to be a size 10 even if i still weighed 10.5 stone... i think exercise is promoted to encourage ppl have have healthier lifestyles is general!!

for me an exercise routine is essential for my success. If i'm working out and burning calories then it helps me focus on moving forward rather than thinking of sitting around doing nothing and not burning the calories I'm consuming, I feel more energetic and I'm more conscious about my diet. The only issue I struggle with is the muscle weighs more than fat argument because I have such a love/hate relationship with my scale that if I gain a pound due to muscle build up but drop a few inches and look leaner it messes with my head... in my head I want the scale to show lower results, even though I look slimmer and my clothes feel better. I just need to get out of that mode of thinking :)

I agree totally that exercise is essential! It makes for a healthier body and mind. Without a doubt. I ahve never beleived it helped me lose weight, and I know that I was forever beingtold that you can work off the lbs, and you must exercise to ose weight. I never believed it. A few surverys just recently ahve started to agree with me! Although for some reason, it does seem to work for men! Weird!

I think you should do both. The exercise will help tone your body up, feel fitter etc. And if it doesn't show on the scales then it will show on the tape measure as you lose inches. Although disappointed with the lack of pounds I have lost, I have lost lots of inches and my clothes fit a lot better and I'm convinced that it down to all the exercise I do. :)

I think you should do both. The exercise will help tone your body up, feel fitter etc. And if it doesn't show on the scales then it will show on the tape measure as you lose inches. Although disappointed with the lack of pounds I have lost, I have lost lots of inches and my clothes fit a lot better and I'm convinced that it down to all the exercise I do. :)

any chance have you lost inches off your arms? i'm going round everywhere trying to learn a nice new 'quick fix' to get my arms toned! only part of body i dislike now :D

any chance have you lost inches off your arms? i'm going round everywhere trying to learn a nice new 'quick fix' to get my arms toned! only part of body i dislike now :D

Yes I have lost 1/2 inch off my arms. I am combing Turbo Jam and Chalean Extreme which uses weights. Look on youtube if you don't know what these workouts are but I love them and they are fun. Also a bonus is I am getting results with this, losing inches that is. :)

Back