New to calorie counting... here's my place, plus a few questions!

Caz

Repeat Offender
Good morning everyone!

I've not posted over here, but am a regular over on the Cambridge Diet boards. Have been doing CD for a couple of months but having to stop for financial reasons, so am going on to calorie counting.

The last couple of days I've kind of used not being on CD as an excuse to eat other stuff. Nothing really naughty. No puddings, crisps etc. But just not the healthiest choices. Like I had a curry last night, but home made, and I know it was a fairly healthy one, but still. If I want this to keep working, I have to stick to the rules!

I'm going to just try and do my own thing. Have used the plan I was on with Cambridge Diet to build up a plan. Here's my thinking, what do you guys think...

Breakfast: Fruit, shredded wheat, muesli or boiled egg and slice of toast. That makes 150 calories.

Lunch: Salad or soup, low fat and low calorie soup. Found some lovely ones which are about 90 cal a portion, plus slice of bread. Totals 200 calories.

Dinner:Any of the 1000 or 1200 step meals from Cambridge Diet. So fairly low carb, high protein. Plenty of good veg. 300 - 400 calories.

Snacks: Fruit to about 100 calories.

That's 750 - 850 calories.

I'm just a bit concerned about nutrients and stuff. I don't know how to make sure I'm getting it all.

Then I'm going to try and up my exercise. Do at least a 15 minute my fitness trainer workout a day. Plus swimming and gym 2-3 times a week.

So now the questions...

How many calories should I be aiming at a day as a safe minimum?

How many g of carbs a day makes a low carb diet?

Should I take multi vitamins on top of doing this?

I've got no idea how many lbs I can expect to lose doing this. And I'm not going to even worry about it! I'm going to just do whatever I need to do to make it work. And will do it for however long I need to!

Thanks in advance!

Caroline
xx

hiya! welcome to cc-ing. hopefully you'll find us a friendly bunch :)

Can't answer all your questions fully now, but i'll give a little bit of advice.

i personally don't think that 750-850 calories a day is sustainable. on cd you're in ketosis aren't you? and unless you're doing something as low carb as atkins, i reckon you'd struggle with hunger. especially if you're exercising, i would up your calories to at least 1,200 (as any lower your body will probably go into starvation mode, which will make it harder to lose.) upping the cals will make sure you can include all the nutrients you need as well - bulk out meals or snack on tons of veg and you'll be fine. swimming takes a lot of energy and you don't want to make yourself poorly!

if you're not fussed about how much you lose per week then losing a little slower is probably better than facing falling off the wagon if you're restricting your cals too much.

hopefully my advice is a little helpful (it's just from personal experience - i can't restrict my cals too much or i end up bingeing eventually and falling off the wagon.) i think vickydink is on 1000 cals a day and she's doing great, so it can be done on lower cals. i guess you just have to try it for a couple of weeks and see what works for you.

good luck hun, join our august challenge if you like - we're all here to support you :)

i personally don't think that 750-850 calories a day is sustainable.

That's my concern. I was originally aiming for 1000 calories a day, but sitting down and planning that out, I don't know how to fit it all in! Am used to eating so little now I guess.

on cd you're in ketosis aren't you?

On the lower plans, yes, but on the step I was on, wasn't in ketosis.

i reckon you'd struggle with hunger. especially if you're exercising, i would up your calories to at least 1,200 (as any lower your body will probably go into starvation mode, which will make it harder to lose.)

That's my thing, I don't want to go into starvation mode obviously. But don't know what I need to aim for to stop that. I'm thinking of trying to bulk it up more with extra fruit and veg and try and get it to 1000-1200 a day.

I want to lose weight as quickly as possible, but obviously I don't want to make myself ill doing it!

Thanks for replying, welcoming me and giving me your advice!

Hi Caroline. First up, many congrats on your weight loss so far - I know that CD isn't for the faint-hearted so you must have worked incredibly hard to get where you are now.

I agree with everything rhuba said. I think 800 calories a day is (pardon my frankness) a recipe for disaster in the long term. Then again, as you're coming off CD, I think it would be okay to gradually raise your calories, staying at, say, 900 for a few days, then a 1000, right up to 1300-1400, more if you're exercising.

150 cals for breakfast will butter no digestive parsnips! I really do believe that a good breakfast/brunch is important, but it's all so personal. If you're more comfortable eating lightly in the morning, then that's right for you. But it's likely it may leave you open to serious hunger pangs later on, especially if you haven't had protein. I think 400 cals for breakfast would be reasonable. A good balance of protein and carbs. I find kippers on toast followed by a big bowl of fruit to be a really satisfying option personally!

One thing I'd say is that you can afford to eat fruit and vegetables absolutely freely, without counting them. They're the single best tools I know for aiding weight loss, with the added benefit that they make you feel good and they're mostly delicious! So never be afraid to munch on fruit throughout the day, and bulk out all your meals with as many vegetables as you please. They do you nothing but good, especially if they satisfy your hunger and keep you away from processed stuff.

The best of luck with the transition - let us know how it's all going!

me thinks iris has said it all.lol, so all the best, hun!!! :)

Thanks Iris :)

I think my problem is coming from CD, everything seems like LOADS. So I think you're right, I should start like this and build up to 1200 at least. I'm not a kippers fan, any other suggestions for a protein filled breakfast?

How much weight can I expect to lose each week would you think?

hiya hun yes i have moved to calorie counting i too couldnt afford cd any longer and i was so depressed on it too.
how are you getting on xxx

Not too bad, the counting isn't going so well though! Def under 2000 calories and is probably between 1000 and 1200. Have been counting everything except evening meal, as I've not been planning them I haven't really known the number of calories, but they've been fairly healthy. I think I'm going to sit down today and plan my meals for the week, I need to go shopping later anyway so probably should make a plan so I know what to get.

Back