New to calorie counting

Yasmine

One last chance
Hello, the name's Yasmine but you guys can call me Yaz :p.

I've recently come off Lipotrim and am on my second week of refeed. I've started to calorie count because I feel that I wont be deprived of the foods that I enjoy, I can just add it into my calories, under moderation of course ;).

Ok I don't know how to start when calorie counting to maintain my weight, as some of you may know, Lipotrim is a TFR diet and the weight loss is very fast, not refeeding properly and going straight to fatty foods can bring the weight gain back just as fast.

On refeed, I have been having up to 1000 calories a day, most days they're been less. How would I go about to increasing my calorie intake sensibly?

I don't want to put my body through starvation mode again, that's one of the ways of how I became obese.

I'm 17 years old, 18 this august, I'm 5ft 6inches and I weigh 10st 4lbs at the moment (144lbs).

wow, what a fantastic weightloss hun, you look great - and well done for tackling it while you're still so young :)

i'm not too sure how to tackle this kinda thing, i've recently had to drop my cals, not raise them. i think we need a KD around here ;)

KD is a loverly lady who has oodles of great advice to expend to people. she probably doesn't know it, but her maintenance diet is currently helping me tons!

i think the majority of peeps on here are calorie counting to lose, not to maintain yet.

i guess it's like any type of maintenance - you increase your cals by say 50-100 a day for one week, weigh yourself. if you're still losing up them again by a similar amoun t for another week, weigh yourself. keep doing this until your weight begins to stabilise. if you put weight on, drop the cals again.

hope this helps love xx

Thanks rhuba :). Best to get it out of the way before it becomes harder when getting older :p.

Oh yes I've heard of KD and talked to her sometimes, she really does know her stuff, and she has done so well!

I know that I should be upping up my calories, it's just I don't know in what segments you know. I'm not sure how many I should go, I really don't want to gain weight again.

Brilliant weight loss!!!

welcome huni xxx

:gen126: ... we're lovely here at counters x

well i'd go for 100 cals at a time - i very much doubt you'll put any weight on if you do it that way.

so if youre on or about 1000 cals a day i'd stick with that for a week, weigh yourelf, then up it to 1100 for one week and weigh yourself again (just weigh once a week though, daily fluctuations dont account for anything really)
i'd keep upping your cals until the week that you stay the same weight and keep it at that level for, say, a month. if you don't gain or lose any weight in that time, then you've probably found the right amount of cals for you per day.

good luck honey :) keep us updated, we're always knocking around with ideas for healthy, calorie controlled meals etc and always willing to chat xx

Brilliant weight loss!!!

welcome huni xxx

:gen126: ... we're lovely here at counters x

Aww cheers lovey :), glad to be here.

That sounds simple enough. I'll be having my final LT weigh in on saturday. After that, it's calorie counting. Is calorie counting for life?

KD is a loverly lady who has oodles of great advice to expend to people. she probably doesn't know it, but her maintenance diet is

Aww. Lovely of you to say that :) So pleased my diary helps. Not many people dare admit to reading it :D (I think I scare them away actually:eek:) :D

Yasmine: Yes, as others have said, increase calories by about 100 a day for a week (as in 1100 for week, 1200 for a week), but also increase carbs. You could start with adding a piece of fruit, or 40g of basmati rice/wholewheat pasta.

Watch your weight, but don't be frightened by it. Sometimes, just sometimes, the scales will go up when you add extra and then go down again. The rise will often scare people into assuming they can't ever eat a particular food group ever again, when sometimes the body just needs to settle down with it again.

Keep going with the raising until (if you have a good cal counter), your carbs are about 50 to 55% of your calories. Fats at about 30%, protein for 15%....if possible.

Push it as high as you can go. Just because you might STS on a level, doesn't mean you will gain by increasing. Sounds illogical, but the more you eat, the higher you metabolism will go. it's finding the balance.

You've done brilliantly and so pleased that you are taking the next step seriously :clap:

Is calorie counting for life?

No. I don't calorie count now. I did for a few months, but not so much to control my weight. It's more of an educational thing..finding out exactly how much I needed :)

Hello Yasmine & well done on your amazing success :).
Is calorie counting for life?
For me I think it might have to be. Without attention my portion sizes creep back up. In the space of a few weeks I thought I'd got used to what a 30g bowl of cornflakes looks like - until I weighed it out again like I did when I started - only to find I'd creeped up to 40g :eek:. It's getting easier and much quicker to keep count - I know the calorie value of many thing - like a glass of milk, and I always check the packet before I eat a biscuit. But I like to save up cals for a treat and for that reason I think it a good idea (for me) to keep this up always.

Thanks for the help KD. Tomorrow is my final weigh in for refeeding and after that I'm on my own.

Could you take a look at my diary entrees and see if they're ok?

Day 1:

Breakfast:
Lipotrim chocolate shake - 141 calories

Lunch:
Lipotrim chicken soup - 141 calories

Dinner:
4 ounce chicken breast fillet (baked) - 136 calories
25g lettuce - 3.25 calories
45g tomato (sliced) - 7 calories
10g cucumber (sliced) - 1 calorie

Total calorie intake - 429.25 calories

Day 2:

Breakfast:

Lunch:
4 ounces tuna flakes in brine (drained) - 117 calories
50g cherry tomatoes - 9 calories
45g lettuce - 5.85 calories
20g cucumber (sliced) - 2 calories

Dinner:
6 ounces tuna flakes in brine (drained) – 176 calories
50g lettuce – 6.5 calories
50g cherry tomatoes – 9 calories
30g cucumber (sliced) – 3 calories

Total calorie intake -469.35 calories

Day 3

Breakfast:
Lipotrim Chocolate Shake – 141 calories

Lunch:
130g/ 4.5ounces Cod baked (125 kcal) seasoned with salt, garlic (3kcal), and red chilli (2 kcal) - 130 calories
55g lettuce – 7.15 calories
30g cucumber – 3 calories

Dinner:
8ounce potato (baked) – 246.34 calories
4 ounces tuna flakes in brine (drained) - 117 calories
50g Very low fat Natural Yoghurt – 21.5kcal
50g lettuce – 6.5 calories

Total calorie intake – 693.49 calories

[FONT=&quot]Day 4[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Breakfast (8:30 am):

Lipotrim Chocolate Shake – 141 calories

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mid morning Snack (11:30 am):[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]65g Strawberries – 18 calories[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Lunch (12:30pm):
1 pita bread - 122 calories
4 ounces tuna chunks in brine (drained) - 127 calories
50g Henna’s Very Low Fat Natural Yoghurt – 21.5 calories
25g lettuce – 3.25 calories
30g cherry tomatoes – 5 calories

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Afternoon snack (4:30pm): [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]50g Blueberries – 22 calories[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Dinner (6:30pm):
8ounce potato (baked) – 246.34 calories
4 ounces tuna chunks in brine (drained) – 127 calories
100g Very low fat Natural Yoghurt – 43kcal
50g Romaine lettuce – 7.5 calories
[/FONT]

Evening Snack (7:30pm):
Weight Watchers Rasberry layered fromage frey – 51 calories

Total calories - 946.59 calories

Day 5

Breakfast (6:30am):
Lipotrim Chocolate Shake - 141 calories

Mid-morning snack (11:00am):
150g strawberries - 42 calories

Lunch (1:00pm):
2 slices of Weight Watchers whole meal bread - 132 calories
4oz tuna chunks in brine (drained) - 127 calories
50g Henna's Very Low Fat Natural Yoghurt - 21.5 calories
30g cherry tomatoes - 5 calories
Weight Watchers Cherry Layered Fromage Fray - 64 calories

Afternoon snack (5:00pm):
Nothing

Dinner (7:00pm):
6oz Chicken breast fillet (baked) - 214 calories
4oz Basmati Rice - 155.23 calories
50g
Henna's Very Low Fat Natural Yoghurt - 21.5 calories
10g Capsicum pepper, red (boiled) - 3 calories
50g cherry tomatoes - 8 calories

Evening snack (8:00pm):
45g Blueberries - 19.8 calories

Total calorie intake - 954.03 calories

Exercise:
Brisk walking for 50min
Calories burnt - 145 calories

Day 6

Breakfast
(8:00am):

Mid-morning snack (11:10am):
1 cameo apple - 80 calories

Lunch (1:10pm):
Weight Watchers Bagel - 144 calories
Weight Watchers Cheese triangle - 27 calories
Weight Watchers Rasberry layered Fromage Frei - 64 calories
50g cherry tomatoes - 8 calories
30g cucumber - 3 calories
25g tuna chunks - 27 calories

Afternoon snack (5:00pm):
Nothing

Dinner (7:00pm)
6oz chicken breast fillet - 214.2 calories
50g Romaine Lettuce - 7.5 calories
1 tomatoe - 15 calories

Evening snack:
125g Strawberries - 35 calories

Total calorie intake - 765.7 calories

Day 7

Breakfast:

Mid-morning snack:
Banana - 100 calories

Lunch:
1 Weight Watchers Bagel - 144 calories
1 Weight Watchers Cheese Triangle - 27 calories
50g Tuna chunks - 54 calories
50g Cherry Tomatoes - 9 calories
30g Cucumber - 3 calories

Afternoon snack:
1 Weight Watchers Apricot Layered Fromage Frei - 58 calories

Dinner:
6oz Cod - 163 calories
4oz Organic Brown rice - 148 calories
1 tomatoe - 15 calories
100g Henna's Very Low Fat Natural Yoghurt -
43 calories

Evening snack:
50g Blueberries - 22 calories
Fromage Frei - 65 calories

Total calorie intake : 1003.5 calories

Day 8

Breakfast:

Mid-morning snack:
1/2 bosc pear - 50 calories

Lunch:
1 wholemeal pitta bread - 181 calories
5oz tuna chunks - 152 calories
50g Iceburg Lettuce - 6.5 calories
50g Cherry Tomatoes - 8 calories
50g Cucumber - 5 calories
45g Natural Yoghurt (fat free) - 25 calories

Afternoon snack:

1/2 bosc pear - 50 calories

Dinner:
7oz potato (baked) - 216 calories
4oz tuna chunks (in spring water) - 121 calories
75g Natural Yoghurt (fat free) - 41.5
1 tomatoe - 15 calories
100g Iceburg Lettuce - 13 calories

Total calorie intake - 1025 calories
Day 9

Breakfast:

Mid-morning snack:
65g strawberries - 18 calories

Lunch:
1 wholemeal roll - 140 calories
4oz tuna chunks (spring water - drained) - 121 calories
15g cucumber - 1.5 calories
25g tomato (sliced) - 3.8 calories
45g Natural Yoghurt - 25 calories
50g cherry tomatoes - 9 calories
10g iceburg lettuce - 1.3 calories

Afternoon snack:
Weight Watchers lemon Yoghurt - 49 calories

Dinner:
4oz chicken breast fillet - 142 calories
4oz brown rice - 148 calories
1 tomato (baked) - 15 calories
100g very low fat Natural Yoghurt - 33 calories
50g Romaine Lettuce - 7.5 calories
1 tangerine - 28 calories

Evening snack:
Weight Watchers Rasberry Fromage Frei - 51 calories

Total calorie intake - 934.1 calories

Day 10

Breakfast:

Mid-morning snack:
1 pink lady apple - 62 calories

Lunch:
2 slices of Hovis Best of Both - 114 calories
1 boiled egg - 80 calories
Laughing Cow cheese triangle (extra lite) - 21 calories
2oz tuna chunks (in spring water drained) - 79 calories
100g Cherry Tomatoes - 18 calories
25g Cos lettuce - 3.75 calories
Weight Watchers Lemon and Lime Yoghurt - 49 calories

Dinner
6oz Chicken breast fillet - 214 calories
7oz baked Potato - 216 calories
100g Very low Fat Natural Yoghurt - 33 calories
1 Baked Tomato - 15 calories
100g raw spring onion - 20 calories
50g Cos lettuce - 7.5 calories
50g cucumber - 5 calories
Evening snack:
75g Cherries - 25 calories

Total calorie intake - 962.25 calories

Day 11

Breakfast:
Lipotrim Chocolate Shake - 141 kcal

Mid-morning snack:
1 pink lady apple - 62 kcal

Lunch:
2 slices Hovis Best Of Both - 114 kcal
Weight Watchers Cheese triangle - 27 kcal
2oz Tuna chunks - 79 kcal
100g cherry toms - 18 kcal
25g Cos lettuce - 3.75 kcal
45g Tomato - 7 kcal
Weight Watchers strawberry Layered fromage frei - 50 kcal

Afternoon snack:
50g cherry tomatoes - 9 kcal

Dinner:
8oz potato (baked) - 246.34 kcal
45g Low fat Natural yoghurt - 27 kcal
4oz tuna - 121 kcal
1 tomato - 15 kcal
50g cos lettuce - 7.5 kcal
75g cherry tomatoes - 13.5 kcal

Evening Snack:
Weight Watchers Peach Layered fromage frei - 57 kcal

Total 998 kcal

Day 12

Breakfast:

Mid-morning snack:
Apple - 80 calories

Lunch:
2 slices Weight Watchers Danish Bread - 96 calories
2oz Tuna Chunks - 79
25g Cos Lettuce - 3.75 calories
100g Cherry Tomatoes - 18.5 calories
30g Cucumber - 3 calories
50g Baby carrots - 18.5 calories
30g Extra Light Philadelphia spread - 33 calories
Weight Watchers pink grapefruit yoghurt - 49 calories

Afternoon snack:
1 80g Anjou Pear - 46 calories

Dinner:
7oz potato (baked) - 216 calories
100g very Low fat Natural yoghurt - 48 calories
4oz tuna (fresh) - 123 calories
1 tomato - 15 - calories
50g cos lettuce - 7.5 calories
50g Baby Carrots - 18.5 calories
75g cherry tomatoes - 13.
5 calories

Evening Snack:
Fromage frei - 55 calories

Total = 1048.75 calories

Day 13

Breakfast:

Mid-morning snack:
Fromage Frei - 55 calories

Lunch:
2 slices of Hovid Best of Both - 114 calories
2oz tuna flakes - 57 calories
25g cos lettuce - 3.75 calories
100g cherry tomatoes - 18 calories
30g cucumber - 3 calories
50g carrot batons - 13 calories
1 weight watchers cheese triangle - 27 calories
Banana - 100 calories

Afternoon snack:
Nothing

Dinner:
4oz Brown rice - 148 calories
6oz fresh tuna - 185 calories
1 tomato - 15 calories
50g cos lettuce 7.5 calories
50g carrot batons - 13 calories
100g Low fat natural yoghurt - 60 calories
75g cherry tomatoes - 13.5 calories

Evening snack:
65g grapes - 45 calories
1 pot Muller light - 94 calories

Total - 1118.75 calories

Hello Yasmine & well done on your amazing success :).

For me I think it might have to be. Without attention my portion sizes creep back up. In the space of a few weeks I thought I'd got used to what a 30g bowl of cornflakes looks like - until I weighed it out again like I did when I started - only to find I'd creeped up to 40g :eek:. It's getting easier and much quicker to keep count - I know the calorie value of many thing - like a glass of milk, and I always check the packet before I eat a biscuit. But I like to save up cals for a treat and for that reason I think it a good idea (for me) to keep this up always.

Thanks very much, from the sounds of it, I think I might have to calorie count for a long time. I want to be extra careful.

Pretty good Yasmine :)

I'll put some thoughts down (not criticisms!) and you can take or leave as you wish. After all, it's got to be a way of eating that suits you otherwise you wont stick with it.

On Cambridge we would stay on the packs a little longer, for fats/protein/vits mins etc, but you are obviously still upright, so I'll move on :D

Your foods don't have much variety, but that's difficult anyway when you haven't got many calories to spare. As you go up, you could be looking to get more healthy fats ie, oily fish. Also using some olive oil for cooking.

Veg: More variety. It's not just getting in 5 a day, but if possible, different ones, and cooking them different ways.

Though boiling veg often means loss of vits, it can release other goodies in the meantime. Antioxidants for example, that you don't get when the veg is raw.

For example, fresh toms have vits. Cook them and you release lycopene which is a good one to have ;) Cook them in olive oil and you get even more. So, variety in all ways. Sometimes raw, sometimes cooked.

Personally, I avoid foods like WW yoghurt. The ingredients scare me. Like a stock list for the ICI factory. I'm sure they are all safe, but personally, I try to go for things with less ingredients. More natural. Again, you do need more calories to play with to do this.

Don't worry too much about being absolutely perfect with choices. If you are too rigid, then it's hard to keep to, and also easy to jump off the wagon if you feel you've failed.

Of course, it's all balance isn't it. Giving yourself enough leaway to always be satisfied with your choices, yet not too much to let bad choices in.

Thanks, I do understand about needing to put more variety. Being on refeed, it is kind of difficult to do so, or maybe just me being scared :p.

I do need to add more but it's hard at the moment with the amount of calories I can take in. Today is my last day of refeeding, and I don't know how I should go about starting. I don't know what I should introduce first if you get what I mean.

Thanks, I do understand about needing to put more variety. Being on refeed, it is kind of difficult to do so, or maybe just me being scared :p.

Probably a bit of both.

I do need to add more but it's hard at the moment with the amount of calories I can take in. Today is my last day of refeeding, and I don't know how I should go about starting. I don't know what I should introduce first if you get what I mean.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve ie adding extra calories or just replacing some foods of equal calories.

Just go slowly. Build up confidence, but do continue to increase your calories gradually. You may just want to replace some foods of equal or just a little more calories to start with.

Your diet is good, though possibly a little two low in fat, so maybe when you feel ready to increase your calories, you could add a few nuts. I highly recommend almonds :D

Take it as slowly, but of course if you are losing weight and you want to stay the same, you'll need to up the calories anyway. Upping calories is easy, but also easy to get carried away. Choose wisely and exercise portion control, especially with the higher cal foods.

You certainly sound very in control. If you want to venture out into foods unknown, and it scares you, just try it for a day and see how you feel.

Personally, I avoid foods like WW yoghurt. The ingredients scare me. Like a stock list for the ICI factory. I'm sure they are all safe, but personally, I try to go for things with less ingredients. More natural.

Tesco's Value yogurt is a plain, unsweetened, very low fat yogurt which is lovely sweetened with honey. I use set honey and keep the blob on my spoon to dip and lick yogurt off. It takes a long time to eat a small bowlful this way.

Back