New to JUDDD

Drunk Tinkerbell

Hi all!

I've recently come off Cambridge Diet and I'm looking for an alternative.

I've decided to give JUDDD a go and I just have a few questions....

The website has told me to eat 364 cals on DDs but that seems really low compared to everyone else on here? Is anyone else going that low on DDs?

Did anyone not bother get the book and just get the information from the website?

Is anyone taking that supplement that they talk about on the website or is it ok to do the diet without it?

Thank you in advance :) x

start - 12.7 current - 11.3 target 9.10

My dd is 409, but I'm 2st heavier that you at mo.

If you try and stick to the allowance for the first two weeks you should be fine to increase it to around 500 afterwards

20 lost : 47 to goal

Morning, my dd are 421 which I'm sticking to for the first 2 wks, after that will allow upto 500 if needed. It's all based on age, weight etc.
I did buy book and read it as I love understanding the background to diets but there is enough info on the Juddd site, low carb friends and here to get along without it.
I've just come across from S&S which is similar to CD, I've gained 0.75 this week which I'm really pleased with as expected more considering I'm averaging 1300 cals per day now compared to 550-600 on S&S!!
All downhill now :)

Good luck with your decision xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

The website says (as does the book):

The two-week induction phase is the most restrictive part of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet(TM) but is necessary to activate the body's genetic response to alternate-day calorie restriction. To begin experiencing the many benefits from "turning on" your SIRT1 gene, it is important to limit yourself to no more than 500 calories on Down Days during this period. Prepackaged diet shakes and bars from Slim Fast®, Atkins®, and other companies can help make sure that you don't go above 500 calories on Down Days during these two weeks. (edited to add - though you don't have to use shakes unless you want to)

On Up Days you will be free to eat as much as you would like (without intentionally overeating) as well as the kind of food that you would like. It's important to enjoy Up Days in order to avoid the diet fatigue that often sets in when following other weight loss plans...

...Because the SIRT1 gene is turned on so rapidly and its effects manifest themselves so quickly, the induction phase of the Johnson UpDayDownDay Diet(TM) lasts for only two weeks. After that, you are free to eat regular food on Down Days. Also, depending on your weight loss goals, you will be able to eat larger amounts. While it is still perfectly acceptable for you to continue eating 500 calories, or 20 percent of your regular calorie intake, on Down Days after the induction phase, many individuals find that eating up to 35 percent is easier to maintain over the long term.

Which means you don't actually have to eat fewer than 500 calories on a DD if you don't want to. If you find you're having no trouble losing weight with 500 cal DDs, there's no reason to eat fewer. But many of us find that eating fewer than 500cals is quite easy after the first few DDs.

Don't let that low number scare you. Many people have started DDs at 800 calories and worked their way down to 500 or fewer. :)

Last edited:
Oh - and no, you don't need the Resveratrol. No one here's using it, as far as I know - and we're all doing just fine without it. :)

Lily said:
Oh - and no, you don't need the Resveratrol. No one here's using it, as far as I know - and we're all doing just fine without it. :)

I'm drinking wine does that count??,

fizzyfluff said:
I'm drinking wine does that count??,

LOL, not unless you're drinking several bottles at a time. :D

Interesting...

I'll try to stick to below 400 calories but know that I can increase it to 500 if I'm desperate!

One last question... Does everyone start consuming their calories in the morning? Everyone says you should eat breakfast but it would be a lot easier to hold off for as long as possible and 'save' the few calories we have on a DD. But people say that you don't lose weight effectively that way.

Any views? X

Firstly Judd is different to other diets so you need to clear your head of other Diet do's and don'ts. The basis of the diet is actually based on alternate fasting (not consuming any food on alternate days and that on other diets would be a huge no no for fear of stalling weight loss due to the body going into starvation mode ) so how and when you eat your DD cals is entirely up to you. It really will help if you try to think of Juddd as a WOE from now on rather than a diet, you need to eat your UP day allowance you are not on a diet on your UPs and you need the swing in cals, if you are in 'diet mode' in your head you will find this difficult. So deep breath and shake all those other dos and don'ts away and put your faith in Juddd believe me it works. You won't get VLCD losses and you may gain coming from a vlcd you can expect to gain 7lbs on average but that doesn't happen coming onto Juddd some have gained a 1lb or 2 some have lost (I lost 2lbs in my 1st week coming straight from a vlcd) if you are a daily weigher expect to msee ups and downs but its your official weigh in that counts and if you are a weekly weigher always weigh after a DD , you may also find that your NSV are more noticeable than your actual weight loss , as I have found a very interesting fact this week that you lose actual fat on this diet, not water or muscle, there is a thread about it somewhere, your DDs are key remember its only a day at a time and they become easier as time goes on. I am going into my 8th week on Juddd now and for the last 2 weeks have only had my milk allowance on my DDs (150 cals) I don't eat at all as I know find that easier . Give it 2 weeks as your body needs to get into the rhythm and I am sure you will love it. Any questions please ask away as we are a small but very friendly bunch, I also advise you start a diary if you havent already, our Diary section is the busiest part of our forum x

bajoleth said:
Firstly Judd is different to other diets so you need to clear your head of other Diet do's and don'ts. The basis of the diet is actually based on alternate fasting (not consuming any food on alternate days and that on other diets would be a huge no no for fear of stalling weight loss due to the body going into starvation mode ) so how and when you eat your DD cals is entirely up to you. It really will help if you try to think of Juddd as a WOE from now on rather than a diet, you need to eat your UP day allowance you are not on a diet on your UPs and you need the swing in cals, if you are in 'diet mode' in your head you will find this difficult. So deep breath and shake all those other dos and don'ts away and put your faith in Juddd believe me it works. You won't get VLCD losses and you may gain coming from a vlcd you can expect to gain 7lbs on average but that doesn't happen coming onto Juddd some have gained a 1lb or 2 some have lost (I lost 2lbs in my 1st week coming straight from a vlcd) if you are a daily weigher expect to msee ups and downs but its your official weigh in that counts and if you are a weekly weigher always weigh after a DD , you may also find that your NSV are more noticeable than your actual weight loss , as I have found a very interesting fact this week that you lose actual fat on this diet, not water or muscle, there is a thread about it somewhere, your DDs are key remember its only a day at a time and they become easier as time goes on. I am going into my 8th week on Juddd now and for the last 2 weeks have only had my milk allowance on my DDs (150 cals) I don't eat at all as I know find that easier . Give it 2 weeks as your body needs to get into the rhythm and I am sure you will love it. Any questions please ask away as we are a small but very friendly bunch, I also advise you start a diary if you havent already, our Diary section is the busiest part of our forum x

Actually, in the book Dr Johnson goes into great detail about fitness programs, hydration, food and nutrition, etc. the UP/DOWN on its own might work but without proper nutrition and fitness it isn't very healthy. I am taking vitamin and mineral supplements and trying to consume as much of a balanced diet as possible. However, I'm not doing the "extreme" Up/Down at the moment:
But I plan to give this a good go.

Yep , I don't mean in terms of actual nutriton , I means in terms of times you eat, what you eat for example no carbs and all the other diet do's and don'ts that go along with other plans, most of those do's and don't really don't apply. Obviously eat healthily and nutritously on your Up days but ignore the other rules that apply to other diets but not this one :)

Thank you very much. That's all very helpful.
I've just totally lost it :( eaten a load of crisps, dip and chocolate and have now consumed 1000 calories today :(
I'm totally gutted with myself :(

Right , don't despair your best bet is to turn today into an UP day to make sure you have enough fuel on bord for a good DD tomorrow. Plan your day , how you use your cals is entirely up to you, save them all for one evening meal, split them up into snacks, eat early eat late , do whatever works for you. Personally when I was figuring out what was best for me I found that eating in terms of mealtimes didn't work as I was thinking about food all the time, I now don't eat anything as I find it easier but a lot find that leaving their cals for as l;ate as possible works the best as eating seems to trigger hunger in pangs in most, me included. However different things work for different people, try listening to your body, are you actually hungry or do you want to eat because its breakfast time etc. I found stopping thinking about a DD in terms of mealtimes helped a lot. I drink a lot of cal free soda as I am not keen on water, tea and coffe and that helps me get through the day. Today isn't ruined it is still your first day its just an UP day which is actually recommended anyway. Read through the diaries for inspiration and give it a good go tom orrow, if a greedy pig like me can do it, anyone can xx

Thank you :)
I was thinking about maybe having an ID today and not eating anything else now so that I can still have my UD as planned tomorrow. I need weds and fri to be up days this week! It's my bday weds and I'm out on Friday!!

start - 12.7 current - 11.7 target 9.10

Back