New to SW. Questions

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by winters_daughter, 2 March 2011 Social URL.

1. winters_daughter

winters_daughter Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.68%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hiya.

I posted last night asking for tips and advice and people have been very nice but as its my first day I have some questions. I thought I understood certain things but I need to know some things.

- Am I right in thinking that this plan is all about food made from scratch for best results with little or no sweet things i.e. chocolate sweets etc. I dont make things from scratch I eat mainly ready made meals, pasta and sandwiches. I eat friut and veg but looking around I find the amount I would have to spend on ingrediants and meat is a lot (for me). Could I still eat weightwatchers dinners etc would that be ok.

- I dont understand about syns. I a wholemeal bread a syn? I have a sandwich for lunch today 4 slices of wholemeal bread with turkey and cheese trinages (low fat) but in the syn section it has wholemeal has a syn value :confused: I thought bread was a free food.

- Yogurts- I have loads of yogurts in the fridge fruit corner like with chocolate granola and yogurt. Can I eat these would these be classed as syns?

Sorry for all the questions. I always thought I ate ok with the brown bread, pasta, weightwatcher foods, but I feel if I continue doing that I wont lose. I have to eat meat and potatoes all the time. Plus I can only have a bit of milk as a 'healthy choice' even skimmed.

I was told this isnt a 'normal' diet and you can eat what you want but I feel really restricted lol maybe its because Im not sure. Will have to speak to my consultant next week but any answers in the meantime will be greatly appreciated thanks x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Devon Dolce

Devon Dolce 1lb at a time!

Start Weight:
    16st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.33%)
  4. xxlisaxx

xxlisaxx Full Member

57g of wholemeal bread is your Healthy Extra B.

Any bread you eat over the 57g must be synned.

Fat Free yoghurts are free.. Corner yoghurts or yoghurts with chocolate granola will not be free and you should syn them

5. *EB*

*EB* Gold Member

Personally, and i might get shot down for this - you may be better on Weight watchers plan.

SW is a lot of planning, preparing and cooking from scratch (in my opinion) and the foods you like and describe would have a lot of syns in them, as they are ready meals, yogs with extras and so on.

You could do SW - but you would have limited ready meals, and use your syns on them and bread very quickly - leaving you not much else but fruit to snack on.

Read through the link Devon has posted, but i do think SW may not be for you.

x

who_la_hoop likes this.
  6. winters_daughter

winters_daughter Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st11lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(3.68%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks so much for your answers x

7. Circes

Circes Strutting her stuff

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    7st5lb(41.2%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I have added some thoughts below

chocaslim likes this.
  8. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I always have to remind myself that I can't expect to eat the same things that I did before the diet and still lose weight, as if I didn't lose weight before then I won't afterwards if nothing else has changed.

You do need to look at the plan carefully and work out if it's for you. I'm wondering how much you've looked at the plan so far, as things like bread and syns are explained very well in all of the available literature. Yes this diet does involve some planning, but it is flexible and works, and also teaches healthy eating habits for life. It also doesn't have to cost a fortune- I've always done it by myself and spend between £20-30 a week, which buys absolutely loads, especially meat.

As ellebear says, if you can't face the switch from the foods you like, then it might well be worth looking to ww.

9. who_la_hoop

who_la_hoop Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1.5lb(36.62%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Unfortunately, it sounds like whoever you spoke to has either misunderstood the diet - or if this was your consultant, then you misunderstood her.

I'm afraid there is no such thing as a diet where you can eat what you want! You're not on a diet then, are you? ;) On Slimming World you can eat loads of food - but it has to be the right sort of food. If you want to give SW a proper go, I'd suggest reading and re-reading the info your consultant gave you (it can be confusing at the start!) and following some of the sample menus while you get your head around the plan. You will have to cook a bit more than you're used to, though, if you're going to get the best out of the diet - SW encourages us to steer clear of processed foods and cook from scratch which builds healthy habits for life :)

I think what ellebear says is true though - if you really don't have the time or the inclination to cook much from scratch, you'll probably find SW a bit too time-consuming and would do better with weight-watchers.

Best of luck!

*EB* likes this.
  10. kudos_ni

kudos_ni Member

Start Weight:
    15st7.5lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1.5lb(7.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World (EE)
    My advice is to read the book! I read and re-read it many times in my first few weeks.

If you're still not understanding you should definitely call your consultant for further explanation - I'm sure she'd be more than happy to help.

Also...there are so many stickies on this forum for newbies, about common misconceptions about general SW questions... read all that.

I used to live on ready meals and sandwiches. However, when i joined SW, it was because I new I had to change my ways if I wanted to change my body and live a healthy life.

It does involve planning...but my planning typically making big batches of stew or chilli and keep them in the fridge/freezer for lunch/dinners throughout the week. When I have time in the evening I'll cook something from scratch like chicken,veg and potatoes...and if I'm short on time I'll have something I prepared earlier...so like a readymeal only something I made for cheaper and that is much much nicer!

who_la_hoop likes this.
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.