Extra Easy New to this Slimming World buisness!

Hi all :)

I just had a bit of a query I suppose! This may sound really stupid, but I'm new to Slimming World - today was my first weigh in - and I worked my arse off all week it felt like eating well and doing exercise, but I only lost 2.5lb! I honestly expected more, due to the exercise, but my consultant said that exercise - moderate, which I had been doing - would only contribute to 1-2lb weight loss a month? I'm not saying he's lying but I thought the exercise would help the weight come off a bit faster! Is this true?

Thanks, and sorry if it's a daft query!

It's something like 3500kcal deficit to lose every single pound. So to earn that in calories will take a while through exercise alone. The reality is that exercise will, of course help and will help you tone and tighten as you lose the weight but it's the eating plan that has the greatest effect. Simply put you need to move more than you eat. Slimming world curbs appetite and naturally lowers your calorie intake. Exercise can only contribute to that so don't give it up! I do 30-40 mins of Zumba on alternate nights, burning around 400kcal a time and I can't say its made any difference to my weight loss BUT the inches I have noticed and the fitness levels.

It it all goes hand in hand to make you fitter, leaner and most importantly healthier!

What's wrong with 2.5lbs? That would be a great weight loss even if you were not exercising - its more than a bag of sugar!
When people start exercising the muscles can retain fluid to help repair which sometimes shows on the scales. xx

Thanks Lickthelid! That's helped me understand better :)

And Patchworkpuss - there is nothing wrong at all with 2.5lb loss! I think I just expected more - I've heard loads of stories of people having a big loss in their first week, and I'm my own worst critic and have high standards for myself! I think because I'd already started eating healthy before I started SW that it wasn't a massive shock to my diet if you get what I mean? Thanks ladies! xx

Yes I always think there is something to be said for a last blow out so you get that initial HIT in week 1. Easing into it may make more sense in the long run but certainly reduces the chance of that "wow look what I lost" at the first weigh in!

As a newbie I really would suggest measuring yourself at this stage. It's something I didn't do and regret. Unfortunately, we're all obsessed with what the scales say rather than how we look and feel. It's true that the exercise may not mean the weight falls off much quicker but you can bet your bottom dollar it's going to tone you up and you're going to feel so much better for it. So try writing down all your measurements and take a photo of yourself. Then each month do the same and see how much you've progressed and how much better your clothes feel on you. Please don't feel disheartened you are doing really well :)

Welcome to SW & this forum!
As other said, exercising looses inches, As well as measuring yourself I advice having a picture taken now so that you can show it when you finished your journey to a slimmer you, most people don't then regret it after, I was one of them & it took ages to find a picture of me at my heaviest.
Remember if you "only" loose 2.5 lbs a week that's over 9 stone in a year!
Pete

Thanks everyone - I feel less disheartened now,, I know the 2.5 was a great loss to have - and at least it was a loss! My consultant said to take measurements and a picture so I've got them on my fridge as insipration :) thanks guy for replying to my post, all your feedback is great I appreciate it :)

Definitely encourage you to measure I waited for a few weeks as didn't expect to see a change and shouldn't have. Glad I did it now though as there's been weeks I've lost 1lb and felt bad but ive lost several inches so it gives you the boost and perspective you need.

I can only echo what others have said. Well done for joining SW and losing 2.5lbs in your first week thats great, keep up the good work. Exercise is really important for so many reasons. It will only contribute to weightloss and like lickthelid said you need to burn 3,500 cals to lose 1lb, so to lose 1lb per week purely through exercise you need to burn 500 cals a day, but it does help tone and tighten, so measuring yourself will help you see the difference exercise is making to your body shape and firmness.

Back