New WW diet looks a bit familiar....

Well having done both EE and WW we'll have to agree to disagree ;)

I have to admit I found a lot of that article very misleading

Well it was in the Daily Mail! :D

:eek: OMG so it was!!

Och wellll in that case... it MUST be completely factual and totally accurate :rotflmao:

I think it's similar, but not sure it's fair to say it's copied...

If someone decided to lose weight by cutting down on fatty and sugary foods, and eating more fruit and veg, would they be copying SW too?

I could be wrong, and I've never done WW so can't claim to know the plan inside out. But as far as I understand, there's no Hex A/B equivalents, no suggestion of meat- or carb-free days, and you're still limiting your food intake by allowing yourself a number of points per day - not 'eating until you're full' like SW.

Like I say, I'm happy to be corrected but this new plan still seems far more WW than SW to me. They've just changed with the times and are taking more than just calories into account when calculating points!

anything that gets this country's obesity crisis sorted is good imho :D

I think a lot of people who struggle with the "unlimited" foods on SW will possibly move to this plan. It's fabulous that fruit is now a point free food and I think that will be a great selling point for WW but things like pasta, potatoes, chicken etc will still all need to be weighed to work out the points and that will suit people who like to exercise a bit of portion control.

I still might fancy giving it a go to shift this flippin stone!!

I'm thinking of giving it a go too.

Personally for me, I think I re focus when faced with something new. I often swap back to WW points in order of a 'change of scenery' and also, as Jaylou says, to exercise a bit of portion control, which has always been a bit of a problem for me!

My countdown at SW finished on Thursday so I may go and join a WW group, which ironically is in the same hall as the SW one but on a different day......
It will be good to get all the info if nothing else!!!

haha I love that starlight is a little WW crusader amongst the sw-ers! hehe! xxxx

I'm inclined to agree with Starlight. Having followed both plans (albeit halfheartedly most of the time) the only similarity that I can see is that fruit and veg are now free on both plans. WW has always been a healthy eating plan, but people who folllow the plan have often chose not to eat healthily-just like those following SW could eat nowt but free Pasta N Sauce and Mugshots, which IMHO aren't the healthiest of choices.

And let's not forget that even with these changes (which may turn out to be a damp squib anyway!) you still have to count points. We can only really compare SW and WW if WW ever do away with the points system-which I doubt will ever happen.
As has been said, they're both fab plans, but it does literally seem to be the case of one man's meat is another man's poison as far as opinions on these 2 plans go!

Also on food packaging, yes calories have always been a "rough" guide, being upto 20% out (food standards allow for this) but so is the rest of the labeling! So still working on the same labeling, just different food groups, is still going to be 25% out!

Unless weight watchers are going to test every single food item themselves, and bring out more accurate numbers on labels

It looks the same to me as the new bit is apparently pointing by nutritional value rather than pure calories - what SW already does.

The rules are that you must eat 2 portions of milk/yogurt/cheese, 1 portion of wholemeal, 2 tsp of oil every day (a short HEA & B list) and "you get an extra weekly allowance of 49 for treats which you can save up for a big blow-out or simply use throughout the week" (syns).

I'm sure there is plenty enough for the intellectual property lawyers to argue over should they wish.

The seperate issue of which is best, SW or WW? Well that is whatever works for each individual IMO.

I think its just trying to make it more encouraging to eat the right foods.

I've found WWs has always worked for me when I have been 100% motivated and I have lost weight faster with them but I also find it harder to stick to and easier to cheat too, like have unhealthy foods within points or do lots of exercise to increase points allowance or save points for a blowout. Which I could also do on SW but there isn't a 'guide' for this as they don't recommend it as you should be exercising anyway etc. If that makes any sense.

purple_rain said:
These are already part of the discover plan, this isn't something new.

Exactly this isn't a new thing to WW and it's not exclusive to SW. Those rules have ALWAYS been part of WW. Actually this plan isnt NEW as such, its new to the UK, its been around in other countries for a while now, its merely bringing us in line with them. So, maybe SW actually pinched EE from WW ;) :giggle:

The current WW trackers which you get on the online membership, or in class, or by buying a journal all have sections for you to mark off that youve had the correct amount of dairy, fluids, etc. so thats not new and its certainly not copying HEx

As far as the 'blow out' aspect is concerned, again, its not new its ALWAYS been part of WW. Currently you can save up to 4 points a day over the week for having a meal out etc...just as on SW youd use Syns. So nope, again nothing new there.

The new WW plan isn't as radical a shake up as the media are making it out to be really. The article in the Daily Mail :rolleyes: quotes the person whos tried is as 'being able' to have a bit of birthday cake and a meal out... well whoopee do, youve always been able to do that on WW - its hardly ground breaking

Last edited:
I am going to give it a try just till I go away anyway as which ever I do I am going to have to rejoin when I get back. It is launched on monday on WW & there is for money off if you search on line

Both plans are different, dont think you can compare them at all. Thats why ppl choose ww over sw (or vice versa) because its different, and everyones different and needs a diet to suit them. I think if you actually loook at the new plan you will see that theres not much difference from the old one, but i think they are trying harder to get ppl using the points for the healthier option by making the healthier choices lower points. Also with the weekly allowance i think they have changed it to suit ppl doing ww because ppl have always saved points throughout the week for a meal/night out, they have just took the hard work out of planning. I think if you read the posts on the plan on the ww boards you will see that it is different.

The weight watchers diet has always been like that here in the US/Canada. Points are worked out slightly different, as it takes into account the fibre in food also and looks at total fat in food instead of saturated. Not sure why they don't follow the same rules in the UK, since it started in the US anyway.

I think weight watchers is great if you struggle with portion control, as it really helps you to see the portion sizes you should be eating.

Plus weight watchers are always listening to their members and improving the diet, that is why they make changes so often. They certainly are not doing any radical/new changes like Starlight pointed out.

I love both weight watchers and slimming world. Just at the moment Slimming World works best for me.

So people are saying that the new plan is copying extra easy because it's moving away from calories, has free fruit and has a weekly allowance? Sounds a lot more like Core, which started about 4/5 years before extra easy, I believe. Pfft.

It's still counting calories AND fat, it's just adding carbs and fibre. That's it really. This has been going on in other countries for longer than EE has existed, so talks of lawsuits is ridic.

Who cares anyway? Atkins, weight watchers, slimming world, low-gi, vlcd.. If they help people lose weight, woohoo, it's not a competition.

I've never tried slimming world, the only thing that puts me off is the syns and that there is no way to work them out. I like the idea of food combining though, I think the science behind it makes sense.

Back