New Year, new me

I've decided that as of January 1st I'm going to start the South Beach diet.

In the latter half of 2009 I lost almost 1.5 stone by working out at the gym a lot and eating healthier carbs. I went down to 10 stone 5 pounds and I felt fantastic. In January of this year I met my boyfriend and we proceeded to go to dinner much more and I had less time to go to the gym and I put all that weight back on and MORE.

I now weigh 12 stone 5 pounds and I am utterly miserable. My goal is to get to 9 stone 12 pounds. I'd like to do this within 6 months, but I'm not sure how possible this can be.

Over the next week I plan to organise my meals for the first two weeks of the diet. I've found some fantastic recipes - the Shepherd's Pie on here being the nicest I've found. I'd love ideas for breakfast though. Everything seems pretty egg based. I guess it will be for the first phase.

Why am I choosing the South Beach Diet? My boyfriend is actually type 1 diabetic, and he follows a pretty strict low GI diet, which is what I hope to eventually follow, but I like how the south beach diet has the first two phases that will help me to throw myself into the diet.

I hope to update my progress on here. I hope this will really motivate me. I feel motivated already having seen some of the fantastic successes on here!

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
As promised I started yesterday and I had an omelette for brunch (I didn't make up until about 2pm), I snacked on pistachios and had the Shepherd's pie recipe for dinner. It was delicious.

Today will be the same as I made enough shepherd's pie for 4 days.

Yesterday my starting weight actually ended up being a pound more (12 stone 6 pounds) and today I was 12 stone 4 pounds. Obviously I'm sure that's water weight or whatever, but it's motivating.

I'm off to the gym now for the first time in 2011!

Best of luck all on the SBD.

So at the end of today I will have done a whole week of the SB diet. It's been a tough, but rewarding week. I think the most difficult thing for me is breakfast - there's really not much option other than eggs, and I find the taste in the morning a bit too much. I had scrambled eggs this morning.

I find eggs for breakfast does sustain me until lunch more than anything else in the cupboard.

Lowest point this week: making a meal for me and my boyfriend where I replaced roast potatoes with more greens. Watching him eat roast potatoes was really hard. He passed me over a tiny roast potato and said it wouldn't do me any harm, but I didn't have it. I think it's easier for me to just steer clear.

Difficulties I anticipate next week: I'm going for dinner with a friend. On phase one it's going to be so difficult when I'm at a restaurant. I'm trying to steer her restaurant choice to somewhere I know is full of yuppies, and yuppies hate eating carbs.

Good luck everyone else on the SBD.

I'm setting myself a goal today - the last two days I have found a struggle. On Saturday because it was my weekly weigh-in I gave myself a treat (chocolate) to reward myself. Sugar really must be an addiction, because now all I can think about is chocolate, so on Sunday I had some and last night. I've now hidden the chocolate I had from xmas in a more out of reach place.

I don't think it's set me back too much, if at all (I hope - I haven't weighed myself today), but I'm going to start today as though it's the beginning of week two. My task today is to get through a whole day sticking to the diet without chocolate.

Today I'm going to really go for it at the gym too.

Hey hun. Good luck. I've not been on for a few weeks. I hope you do manage to stick to it. I love chocolate too What I do is always have an Atkins chocolate bar to hand.....JUST FOR EMERGENCIES!! I don't eat them regularly, but in the last 11 wks, I've maybe had 4. Its kept me on the straight and narrow. Keep us posted x

Eeeeep. I haven't been so good. I know I need to get back on it properly. I've managed not to put weight on, but I haven't lost more.

As long as you've not gained hun. You've not got lots to lose so slow and steady!!!!!! Good luck.x

Back