New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

So you'd give money but not to go away? We're also going to be saving to buy a house after the wedding so maybe we could say that the money would be used for either of them and those that would rather it was for the house can say so? I don't know, I just wouldn't want to offend anyone.

So you'd give money but not to go away? We're also going to be saving to buy a house after the wedding so maybe we could say that the money would be used for either of them and those that would rather it was for the house can say so? I don't know, I just wouldn't want to offend anyone.

No sorry I meant I happily give money as wedding presents and am happy for the couple to spend it as they see fit, but wanted to buy my sister a birthday present, not sure why that was just what I thought! Maybe because she is my sister? Maybe because it was a birthday and not a wedding? No idea!

I have never been offended by friends or friends of my OH wanting money for a wedding present but I do know why you think some people might not be as comfortable doing it, is v tricky but as long as you are happy I don't see anything wrong with it!

Can you do a honeymoon list? I have in my mind I have heard of them, maybe my mum mentioned it, people buy you things like drinks in x place or a trip in y place? No idea if I am totally making that up or if it would work for the type of honeymoon you are planning!

Ah I know what you mean now, I did wonder if that was what you meant. I know what you mean too, I don't like giving people money for birthdays as I'd rather find them a nice present myself. That's why we'd say if people want to get us a present they can choose something they think we'd like, or give us nothing at all, no-one has to give a present!

I have thought about that too, I know someone who did that when they did a road trip to America. People paid for a night in x hotel, dinner on route 66 etc. If we want to go on honeymoon straight after the wedding I don't know if it'd work though asking people for honeymoon donations as we'd need to know if we've got money or not and I don't feel like we can do it before, that's just cheeky!

The last 3 weddings i went to all asked for money towards a honeymoon. 1 of them actually asked for Thomas cook vouchers. I think it's a great idea, most couples already live together and have all the things they need to make a home. Holidays can be so expensive and i think a honeymoon should be really special. You shouldn't have to be worrying about money on your honeymoon.
It's not cheeky at all, especially if you send those poems out with your invitations.

No sorry I meant I happily give money as wedding presents and am happy for the couple to spend it as they see fit, but wanted to buy my sister a birthday present, not sure why that was just what I thought! Maybe because she is my sister? Maybe because it was a birthday and not a wedding? No idea!

Totally agree actually. I also don't really like giving money or vouchers for birthdays. What ever happened to using our imaginations?

Totally agree actually. I also don't really like giving money or vouchers for birthdays. What ever happened to using our imaginations?

Yes getting something special for birthdays and Christmas is important to me, I enjoy doing it and enjoy seeing people open gifts. Is OH mum's 70th today got her a radley purse to replace the one we got 4 years ago and I suspect she wasn't replacing as we had got it her and she was v chuffed with it bennies as she has made appoint of telling me again just despite lots of family being here :)

I wouldn't object to giving money. Especially if I know the coupe funded the wedding themselves.

Today we've found and confirmed a venue decorator (and decided decorations), a DJ and a photographer... been a productive day!

Yes getting something special for birthdays and Christmas is important to me, I enjoy doing it and enjoy seeing people open gifts. Is OH mum's 70th today got her a radley purse to replace the one we got 4 years ago and I suspect she wasn't replacing as we had got it her and she was v chuffed with it bennies as she has made appoint of telling me again just despite lots of family being here :)

I meant Christmas too. Christmas is hugely important! :)

Today we've found and confirmed a venue decorator (and decided decorations), a DJ and a photographer... been a productive day!

Impressive!

Well done..another 'to do' ticked off the list! :)

I wouldn't be offended if the couple asked for cash for honeymoon fund :) do you know these poems that Squeezy mentioned/ some of them are really quite good and take the worry out of appearing 'cheeky' (which you are not by the way!)

I saw a decorative wishing well made especially for wedding receptions, where guests could 'post' their cards with cash included..hmm suppose that would too late to pay towards your honeymoon?..but it could definately help towards your spending money?

I am sure most couple do live together first now these days, so I think it is totally acceptable to ask for a money gift rather than household items. i would send out the poems with the invites..some people might even be relieved as they didn't know what to buy? :)

Last edited:
The last few weddings I've been to all asked for money towards the honeymoon, two of the couples lived together first and so had all they needed. Although the other couple didn't, they both had their own houses, before they married and so already had 2 of everything. They all sent out one of those poems, with the invites. I don't think anyone had a problem with it.

Caz I can't believe how quickly you are getting organised for the wedding I'm very impressed.

You've all reassured me, think we'll send out poems and ask that but also say if people want to buy a gift they can and that we don't expect anything from anyone, we just want them to be there.

Thing is, it seems like I'm being really organised but there are people getting married in August 2014 who have been engaged and planning for 6-12 months and so lots is already booked up so kind of had to get on and sort it! A lot has been on recommendations today so was easy to sort.

Caz I can't believe how quickly you are getting organised for the wedding I'm very impressed.

I know right. I thought i was well organised but caz has knocked it out the park. She'll have absolutely nothing left to do after Christmas.

Then it'll be making things :D

Morning!

Well done..another 'to do' ticked off the list! :)

I wouldn't be offended if the couple asked for cash for honeymoon fund :) do you know these poems that Squeezy mentioned/ some of them are really quite good and take the worry out of sounding 'cheeky' (which you are not by the way!)

I saw a decorative wishing well made especially for wedding receptions, where guests could 'post' their cards with cash included..hmm suppose that would too late to pay towards your honeymoon?..but it could definately help towards your spending money?

I am sure most couple do live together first now these days, so I think it is totally acceptable to ask for a money gift rather than household items. i would send out the poems with the invites..some people might even be relieved as they didn't know what to buy? :)

Just be sure to have someone always watching the well or envelope box. I know of at least one wedding where the "cash" was stolen.

Then it'll be making things :D

You should visit Curlz's diary. She no longer posts on Minis often, but she was as she planned her wedding and she made loads of things and posted photos. She nw has a FB page and sells her handmade craft items which are lovely.

If we so do it we'll probably hire a lockable one so that that can't happen. I can't imagine that it would with the people who are coming but you just never know do you. We've applied for a credit card and they've given us a decent limit which allows us to do the honeymoon donations whilst having a back up plan.

I'm going to attempt to make a cake topper today and if I do it's going to be the most amazing thing give ever done!! I think I want to keep it a secret though, don't want to give too much away but I'll be dying to show it off if I manage to pull it off!!

Where am I likely to find a post by Curlz so I can find her diary?

I look forward to seeing the finished cake topper..ooh intrigued! ;)

I was going to say, if you have one of those wells, posting boxes, then place it somewhere safe and in full view. I know you know your guests, but sadly these days, you don't know if any stranger or dodgy staff member is in the vicinity! the wells i saw were actually light enough to be lifted and carried away..you could always tie helium balloons etc onto it and weigh it down inside..then it would be difficult for anyone to pop it under their jacket :)...they would hardly escape carrying a huge well with balloons, streamers, flowers etc etc attached..unnoticed! hee hee

Have another happy planning day Caz :)

Back