New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

£18 a month is awesome! The cheapest one to me was £38 a month with no pool. (that was the council run one) The one close to my work was £49 a month and that was with corporate discount. I really dont know how gyms can charge so much! If you and Aaron will go together it might be worth getting the membership so you can spur each other along?

I think i go away on the same weekend as you move... MUCHOS excitement!!

Morning Caz,

Just as well as you are moving now anyway. I pay about £20 a month at the hotel I go to. It has a gym, pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub, and a very nice view! I reckon it's good value so long as I go at least twice, if not three times, a week, which I do. £40 is way over the top, I would seriously question that, a joint membership maybe but not for one person. Are you using the exercise bike in your room instead? And the Jacuzzi? What does Aaron think of having a Jacuzzi in the house?

That's an amazing deal.

£18 a month is awesome! The cheapest one to me was £38 a month with no pool. (that was the council run one) The one close to my work was £49 a month and that was with corporate discount. I really dont know how gyms can charge so much! If you and Aaron will go together it might be worth getting the membership so you can spur each other along?

Our council run one is about £38 a month - but it includes use of all five leisure enters, classes, crèche, swimming, gym use -- but the sauna and steam is a separate charge. No jacuzzis or hot tubs.

Caz if there is a DW gym near you they are £34 a month (with corporate membership) all exercise classes etc included.

Just as well as you are moving now anyway. I pay about £20 a month at the hotel I go to. It has a gym, pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub, and a very nice view! I reckon it's good value so long as I go at least twice, if not three times, a week, which I do. £40 is way over the top, I would seriously question that, a joint membership maybe but not for one person. Are you using the exercise bike in your room instead? And the Jacuzzi? What does Aaron think of having a Jacuzzi in the house?

The bike isn't in my room anymore so not been using it, it got moved after the first few days. The jacuzzi is good but rarely use it really, takes 3-4 hours to heat up and never think that far in advance. He's only been in it once but it was good, thought it was fun I think.

Ooh where are you going this time? No fair! £18 is very, very good. I just don't know how worth it £38 or £49 a month is, that's so expensive! He gets NHS discount but I'm planning on asking them about joint membership and whether they do it.

Morning Caz,

That's an amazing deal.

Our council run one is about £38 a month - but it includes use of all five leisure enters, classes, crèche, swimming, gym use -- but the sauna and steam is a separate charge. No jacuzzis or hot tubs.

That price includes classes, sauna and swimming so not a bad deal really but still, a lot to commit to every month for a minimum of a year.

Caz if there is a DW gym near you they are £34 a month (with corporate membership) all exercise classes etc included.

I'll take a look, thanks.

Aaron has decided to give S&S a try again when we move in to the flat. I was looking forward to us eating healthy together and going to SW together but guess I'll just have to do it alone. I can't stomach S&S anymore, I'd rather do SW properly and lose well for SW than S&S badly and not lose what I could.

Well for sure, doing S&S will be much easier when you two are living together as he will have more control over meals -- you're hardly gonna cook him a fry-up as a surprise brekkie are you?
Think Jacuzzis are much better in the gym where they heat 'em and clean 'em every 20 minutes. Last house I owned had a heated swimming pool in the back garden but it was all work. Closed it down during the winter but in the summer if you couldn't get a pool guy by the weekend it wasn't ready to swim in. A lot of phaff, really. I shared the same pool guy as Michael Barrymore lol.

Last edited:
The jacuzzi is pretty easy to heat and clean and if we just kept it on all the time it would be ok but we don't because of the cost so you just have to know in advance. They're ok but they're not that great really, couple of times I've been in has been when I've had an achy back and it's helped with that.

As I'm going to be doing SW alone I've decided that I might as well start now, no point waiting really. I did want to wait and then start with Aaron and both go together but if I'll be doing it alone then might as well just get on with it, even if it does mean going to two new meetings alone. So I've had a look and the one up the road is on this evening at 6.30pm so I'm going to try and go to that one. She does one at 3pm and 5pm too, one lady I know goes to the 3pm and I'd like to go with her but I'll still be at school then (she finishes early) and then there's another lady who goes at 5pm but I'd rather not go with her so 6.30pm it is then lol

I can't stomach S&S anymore, I'd rather do SW properly and lose well for SW than S&S badly and not lose what I could.

I'm totally with you there! I can't do VLCDs anymore - I'd rather lose a little each week now and do something more manageable in the long term.

I'm going to fish my SW stuff out later and have a look - I think I'm going to have to go gluten-free now though as I keep getting severe trapped wind when I eat gluten products. How much are the meetings now?

Anyway, don't feel alone - you've got my number so you can always pester me :) xx

Morning Caz,

Good on you for just getting on with it. I hope the SW goes well.

I think they're £4.95 a week. Apparently the woman at this local meeting isn't great, very... unpersonal was the word I think. Might go along anyway but not sure. There's a half price joining fee if I go before June and I've not got my books here so probably better that I do go.

Thanks Trisha. Went along and it was fine. The lady leading it said it's not a problem to start there and then move to one in Manchester, I just need to tell them I'm already a member and want to transfer. I actually knew a couple of people there, there was a woman who works at my school but is on secondment at the moment and a parent of a girl in my class as well as the girl. Surprisingly it really didn't bother me, I was there already and want to do well with it.

Bought a couple of little recipe books that have some nice ideas. Went shopping after and stocked up on a few SW staples. For tea I've had a jacket potato with prawn marie rose and salad with rice pudding for dessert, all home made and all syn free! I've made an extra portion of prawn marie rose and cooked two extra jacket potatoes so that I can reheat them for lunch at school. I'll do chili or spaghetti for tea tomorrow and make extra for a potato on Friday.

Feel very motivated at the moment, I just hope it continues. I've not got Aaron to do it with but that's ok, gotta do it anyway.

Just remembered I'm out for dinner tomorrow, staff meal. Was debating whether to drive or get a taxi so I could drink so starting SW makes that an easy choice. It's an Italian so not really sure what there is SW friendly but one of the TAs coming is doing SW very seriously so I'll sit near her and get her to help me choose lol

Just remembered I'm out for dinner tomorrow, staff meal. Was debating whether to drive or get a taxi so I could drink so starting SW makes that an easy choice. It's an Italian so not really sure what there is SW friendly but one of the TAs coming is doing SW very seriously so I'll sit near her and get her to help me choose lol

Good plan.

There was a little one that was only £3.50 and had 100 extra-easy recipes in, they were all free or very low syn. It was that book that gave me the idea for the prawn marie rose so been worth it already. The other one was £1.95 and is like a directory type thing, it's all low syn snacks that are from 0-5 syns. There's another book coming out in August that I'm going to buy, it's something like family feast on a budget, every meal in there is done for under £2. I hear so many people say that SW is expensive but actually, it really doesn't have to be, not if you don't go out and buy all these extra things like hifi bars etc. I went shopping yesterday and bought loads of stuff but didn't really spend any more than I normally would, think it's just about finding ways to do it cheaply which I will be trying my best to do!

Thanks Diva :)

Hmm well I've never really thought about how much it would all cost, I'm going to put together a food plan now so I'll price it all up on Asda (I may get them to deliver) and let you know :)

Back