New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

That's a good attitude Caz and planning the meals is the key, I'm sure the lbs. will start to fall off again, you were doing so well.

Evening Caz --

Sorry if I offended you on Kally's thread. Art of my comments were tongue in cheek. But you really should read the article.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...hy-drank-5-bottles-wine-day-This-Morning.html

My dad is an alcoholic and as much as I love him -- I'd feel the same if he needed a transplant. I'd donate a lobe of my liver, but I'd be loath for him to bump some nurse who got hepatitis from a needle stick down the list. But, it's as someone said a "slippery slope" and I'm grateful I'm not making those decisions (rationing care).

Err well it isn't really! Went bit off track for a bit but I'm back on the straight and narrow. I've planned all our meals for the week which is the biggest thing I think. So I'm sure the scales will start heading back down again, I hope!

Well done. How is Aaron's birthday count down going? Is he loving it?

No reason for you both to pay SW fees. Too bad he can't give you 1/2 his workout credit! ;)

Don't worry Mel, it's fine. I think when it's something that's quite personal it's easy to miss the sarcasm or humour in someone's voice let alone words on a page.

The other thing we've said is we're just not going to buy bad stuff and then it's not there to want to eat. I had a lot of chocolate I was given from children at school so we've been eating that for two weeks but if it wasn't there we probably wouldn't have wanted it.

Not long at all now Diva, eek! I feel really nervous about it though obviously excited too. Not sure why?!

Aaron's loving the presents Mel. We had a bit of a dud with the first one as it was a pair of Star Wars boxers but he's grown a little round the waist since I bought them! I bought medium which I didn't spot is only 32-34in waist and he's a 36 at his slimmest so he really liked them but was miffed that they don't and never will fit. I told him to try them on anyway as they seemed bigger to me and they were actually OK. One present was a pair of novelty glasses for holiday...

1375949257454.jpg

He liked them! He's had a few other bits like a head massager, flip flops, travel pillow for the plane and some miniature versions of his favourite hair styling stuff, shower gel and deodorant for holiday, which he was impressed that I knew they were his favourite. His final 'proper' present is a watch that I ordered online. I planned to get it engraved on the back of the watch face with 'To the moon and back' as that's how much we say we live each other (though he often changes it to mars/Pluto/end of the universe etc lol) - cheesy I know! The back of the watch face has the Police design logo on it though which is really annoying so engraving isn't an option anymore. It means the watch isn't quite the special/personal thing I wanted it to be but it's still a really nice watch.

Those glasses are hilarious! You should save the special message for the inside of your wedding bands.

That's if we ever get married!

That's if we ever get married!

You will -- you're both young and settling into your careers, etc. My friend's daughter and her partner have been living together about a year. They're saving for a down payment on a property. Once they've bought, then they'll save for the wedding and honeymoon (but her father is wealthy and will probably help pay for the wedding). He just turned 30 and today was her 26th birthday. They're figuring in two or three years (before she's 30 they'll marry and start a family right away -- as they'll have been living together for sometime by then.)

Aaron isn't so keen on marriage though (though he'd seemed more open to it lately but apparently not!) and just isn't bothered by it and doesn't really see the point in it. He's 23 in August though and I'll be 27, guess that's one of the things about the age gap. Maybe in a few years his opinion will change, I don't know. Neither of our parents would really be able to afford to help pay for a wedding, not in any big way, so it would take quite a lot of saving on our part.

Aaron isn't so keen on marriage though (though he'd seemed more open to it lately but apparently not!) and just isn't bothered by it and doesn't really see the point in it. He's 23 in August though and I'll be 27, guess that's one of the things about the age gap. Maybe in a few years his opinion will change, I don't know. Neither of our parents would really be able to afford to help pay for a wedding, not in any big way, so it would take quite a lot of saving on our part.

My DH was 28 when we got married. I think loads of guys don't even consider marrying until near 30. I think the first thing is to save to buy a place, and then next maybe a "destination" wedding.

Lots of people these days -- plan a destination wedding a couple of years in advance and their families and closest friends come along to the destination for the wedding -- then stay and have their holiday and the wedding couple move to a hotel, board a cruise, or whatever to have their honey moon.

My friend and her DH got married in Jamaica, they were all at the wedding hotel for about 3 days before the wedding -- then the bride and groom moved to another resort for 10 days, while the rest of the wedding party spent another four days holidaying together! It wad a win/win for everyone.

A friend of mine's son got married on Italy near Venice. They rented a big villa for all the family a d a few close friends. After the wedding everyone saw them off at the dock for their Eastern Med Cruise and then moved on to complete their own holiday plans. The bride and groom (with parental help) paid for the villa and food for the week -- everyone paid their own travel and incidental expenses. The groom paid for the cruise. They got a lot of money as wedding gifts - so. It help pay some of the costs.

If YOU want to get married - then "in time" you make it clear it needs to be "an option".

I, personally, would never have a child without being married. I know lots of children are born outside of marriage, but I feel it isn't as stable an option for the mother and child.

Ah we've had this conversation, he knows that for me marriage and at least one child (in that order) aren't negotiable, they're things I want from life and I'm not prepared to compromise on them because compromise means giving them up and I know that right now they're not things that he wants but that he's open to them, possibly, in the future. We come from very different families, I have 5 sisters, lots of nieces and nephews so big family and I'm very used to children. He has one brother and no contact with children, so to him children are scary things that he doesn't know how to deal with! lol I'd definitely want to get married before having children, it's just more secure and, I don't know, guess I'm traditional, just think it's the way that it's suppose to be. Nothing against people who do it in the other order or even without getting married, that's just how I'd want it to be.

We've had some really interesting chats around marriage where he's said about how he's thought that if he could afford it we were at the point of engagement, that if we got married he's want my sister (trainee vicar) to marry us, that he knows what ring he'd buy, said what kind of wedding he'd do if I sent him on Don't Tell The Bride and things like that but then when we've spoken about it recently he's gone back to his old opinion of he's not bothered about getting married, doesn't really see the point in it, expensive and a bit of paper etc. So God knows what he really thinks about it!

We wouldn't be able to do a destination wedding, my mum hasn't got a passport (though we're trying to sort it) and it's quite complicated for her to get one. My Dad also hates the heat so it wouldn't be able to be in a hot country, which is the kind of place I'd want if I was to do something like that.

Oh yeah, I forgot about your mum and her passport wedding? Maybe a Scottish Castle thing and you and he fly out of a Scottish airport for your warmer climes.

Ha! As lovely as that sounds I don't think our budget will ever stretch that far. If we do get married it's likely to be pretty simple.

It's early days still for you two, you've only just moved in together and it sounds like you need some time to get some savings behind you no matter what happens.

Last edited:
Caz, like Night owl has said, you have just moved in together, and you need time to get used to that, and then save, 23 is very young, I guess you'll both know when the time is right. Weddings don't have to cost the earth either.

Oh I know, believe me I'm in no rush. It's something I'd like further down the line and think (or maybe just hope!) that it's something he'd want too, when the time is right like you said.

It amazes me how much people spend on weddings these days. Like you said Trisha, they don't have to cost the earth and if I were to get married it definitely wouldn't. It's an important day and you'd want it to be nice but I would see it as a waste if it cost a lot, I'd rather spend the money on a house deposit or even a nice honeymoon. A few years ago I went to two weddings very close together, one cost 3,000 and the other 20,000. The more expensive one really was no nicer or more special than the cheaper one.

My biggest dilemma was whether to pick up the bar bill or get people to buy their own drinks after dinner. In the end I had a free bar all night. It added a £1,000 to the cost of the wedding but I am glad I did it, think it was well worth it rather than money wasted.

Pfft don't think I'd do that, glass of wine with the meal but then they pay for their own! It's what I'd expect to have to do if I went to a wedding.

I know, that's what my OH was saying but people had travelled for it and been so generous with presents and money that I just couldn't bear the idea of a paid bar. I told them to tell me if it came close to £1,000 and I think it was about 800 odd in the end. It really gave the reception a great party atmosphere and I felt much better about it. A lot of the guests noticed it and came up and thanked us for that, and the number of heartfelt thank you notes we got saying how they had a fantastic time, before I could even get my thank you cards out, made it so worth every penny. And considering there were 80 guests, people obviously didn't go too mad.

Last edited:
Weddings are just so expensive, I don't think we could actually afford to do that even if we wanted to. There are a few of Aaron's friends who could easily knock it back if it was free flowing! I'm saying all this like we're planning a wedding! lol

Back