New Year... New Start - onwards and downwards.

Morning Caz!

I think things have worked out really well for you Mel, I obviously don't know DH but from what I can tell you're a great couple and despite his inability to do some things around the house or planning activities for holidays, he seems a good'un!

So ridiculously tired, not sure how I'm going to cope with early mornings next week! Heading to school in a bit to get my classroom sorted, apparently they have finished decorating my room but I should be prepared for all my furniture etc just to be in the middle of the room! How helpful of them not to bother putting things back where they were. I don't think it'll take me too long to sort it all, I've got a TA coming in at lunchtime to help so I'll ask her to cover my display boards - the one job I hate!

I still need to get some things for my room that I've kind of tried to get online and if just hasn't happened. I need to get a small table cover for the role play kitchen dining table, some material to make into curtain type things to hide under tables and some plastic kitchen bits like food and stuff. Can't seem to find anyone here with a sewing machine that I can borrow to make my very simple curtain type things though! Bah.

If you were working in an American school (in a working or middle class area) -- the parents would be fighting to make those curtains for you. In a poor area, they would not have the time or money and in a wealthy area they EXPECT to be served, not serve. My parents were mostly factory workers and couldn't do enough for the school.

I wish you were closer to me -- I'd come do your boards and curtains.

If you wait until the first day I am sure you will find a parent with a sewing machine happy to help?

Great news on the decision to start saving for a deposit, you won't ever regret doing that one bit! Maybe put off getting a dog while you are both working full time? You can't leave a puppy for more than an hour or two, tops, when you first get them and even an older dog shouldn't be left home alone for more than 4 hours in one stretch or would you be able to come home and walk it at lunch time/pay a dog walker?

Last edited:
I don't think it'll be the kind of school where they'll be particularly in a rush to help so I don't think that'll happen. I did consider buying a cheap little sewing machine but I basically never use one so I don't know there's much point really.

Well that's the other thing, puppy wouldn't work atm with both of us at work. Well it would but we'd rather be around for it more just to see it and have fun with it while it's still a pup! When we do get one it'll be at the very beginning of the summer holidays so I'm home with it for 6 weeks. By then would be house trained and Aaron's parents and brother live just round the corner and could pop in during the day most days between them I should think because of their working hours and Aaron can pop back during his lunch time, that's what they did with Hugo. I have said though that I am NOT house training a dog with carpetted floor especially in a rented place!

Messaged you back Kate, messaged you too Mel.

Hope you get your curtains sorted soon hun, I don't suppose they come ready made anywhere?..too small maybe?..pity :( Just a thought, maybe diy or similiar stores stock them for those garden wendy houses type thing for small children?..or maybe not! ;)

Oh I used to be pretty good with the old frieze paper and the staple gun..let me at those display boards! hee hee

Enjoy meeting Kate and Mel..I look forward to the full report :)

YES! I need my displays done, come on round I'll feed you lamb and cous cous cooked in my new tagine! Got a fair bit done in my classroom (Did I say all this already? Sorry if I did, don't remember!) yesterday but although I got there a bit before 11 under the impression that my room was decorated and ready for me I arrived to an absolute state. Everything was piled in the middle (my class furniture and other random crap from around the halls and stuff) and the decorators hadn't even finished. About 12.30/1 o'clock I went in and told them I didn't care whether they were finished or not, they've had 6 weeks to do it and I've now got a few hours to set it up because it's so late so they would have to work around me. Managed to get all my furniture out where I want it but took a good 3 hours to do, there was a lot of sorting to do because so much had just been dumped in there. None of my display boards are covered yet, my TA came in to help (bless her, she seems lovely) but the hall was locked so she couldn't get the paper to do it. I've started sorting resources a bit but I was that stressed (because of room and a stressful conversation with HR that said I may not get on payroll in time if they don't get a copy of my CRB check on Monday, something they hadn't told me before! I've never had to give a copy because they always get a copy) that I'd just had enough and wanted to go home. Aaron was going out for a leaving do and invited me along so went out and had a few glasses of wine (after a stiff drink when I got there!) so was a nice evening after a stressful day. I'll post a before and mid way pic from my phone in a sec.

Completely forgot that my landlady is coming for an inspection today at 11, eek! She wants to chat to us about what happens while she's away travelling for 9 months too. The flat is clean and tidy but still, I feel so nervous! Hoping she'll be fairly in and out so I can head up to meet Mel and Kate before Mel has to dash off to another gig - she's living the high life at the moment hey!

Only 6 weeks until you become Nanny McRainbow?! Wow that's gone quickly! It's about that until my niece is due too, slightly different circumstances there though! Don't think I will get them ready made as it's such a strange size but maybe, might be worth a check.

Oops forgot the pics...

So before...

1377967969843.jpg

And midway with furniture in place as of when I went home yesterday.

1377968006703.jpg1377968015531.jpg

That's awful about the decorators! How many do you have in your class? Glad you had a stiff drink to calm your nerves. I'm sure it will all be fine on Monday. Wish I could post you my mini sewing machine offa amazon. It is so light but amazingly powerful for just £14!

Well I don't know actually! 24 officially but 3 may be leaving but we haven't actually been told so it's just a case of see if they turn up!

Used my tagine for the first time, tasty!

1377976410645.jpg

Well... I have some exciting news! I think I've said before how I would love to help people lose weight and it's something I feel quite passionate about but I haven't really known how to go about it so haven't. Well I found a nutritionist course online at a very good price and emailed two VLCD companies about it. I didn't ask for a job or anything, I just said if someone had this qualification would you consider that enough. Well I'm known to both as I've used both and talked with them quite a lot and they both came back and offered me jobs once qualified! It wouldn't be anything full time but would love to do it. Have agreed to go with one of the companies, going to start with them soon writing blogs etc and then doing more once qualified which would take 6-12 months. Exciting!! It's something I'd love to do but it's also extra money to save for a house deposit, can work it around school too. Eee!

Thanks ladies :) Yep it's lamb, was very tasty.

Evening Caz!

Your room was left in a dreadful state. When do the kids start?

Wednesday, I'm back Monday and have two training days so will get it sorted somehow!

Wednesday, I'm back Monday and have two training days so will get it sorted somehow!

Good - you still have time. That was dreadful.

It really was. Very little time has been left to do rooms over the two days so I spoke to one of the other Year 1 teachers who is the phase leader and basically said that I know that some of the time on the Monday is to go over new planning formats, staff structure etc that we all had on our induction day so we could do with classroom time during that. She's going to ask if we can so fingers crossed. Otherwise I'm getting there at 8 and can stay til 6 so that's an extra 4 hours a day, it'll get done.

I was thinking whilst lying in bed this morning, dangerous I know! It's now September so that means it's just under two weeks until my birthday. My family are great at birthdays when I'm around but rubbish when I'm not. It just kind of gets forgotten sometimes and cards don't get posted. Now, none of my family know my new address I don't think (might have given it to parents) so I don't see that I'll even get a card! Birthdays aren't that big a deal, they never have been, and I'm not trying to sound like a selfish brat but just be interesting to see how many out of my 4 sisters who don't live at home and my parents remember to send even a card! Open for bets... now!

Brilliant news Caz..well done! :)..every extra penny helps!

Hope your class is sorted soon hun, what a lovely bright, airy room for you to work in..a nice calming atmosphere for you and the children :)

Meal looked so yummy Caz..wish I could have had a wee taste of it!

Sorry you didn't manage to meet Mel and Kate this time..you'll just need to wait until the mammoth mini meet up..when we'll all be there :)

Aww hun, I hope all your family remember to send you a card or at least a happy birthday phone call! I knw what you mean though, I know my mum still has to 'remind' my sister and brother when all the family birthday's are..and they are 43 and 39! I somehow always remember birthdays..I think because getting a card is so important to me! Not to worry, I will be on here with a a virtual birthday greeting for you Caz..and there is no way Aaron is going to forget :)...it must be close to my mummy-to-be daughter's birthday,she celebrates on the 15th? when is yours?

Have a great day :)

Very close Rose, I'm the 14th :) You're right F, probably be all or nothing and like you said Rose, no way Aaron can forget!

He has a countdown and reminder in his phone, definitely can't forget haha

Back