New year, same me; just less wobbly + Project 52!

JezVonSavage said:
Hmmm....exactly. I consider myself very lucky to have NEVER been bullied, I wouldn't let anyone get away with that kind of behaviour. My OH was bullied something rotten at school and it worries me that if we have kids they will pick up his subservient gene (if that is the word for it) instead of my "Who the hell are you talking to" gene :rolleyes: Luckily, since meeting me, OH has started to stand up for himself a bit more.

Those people who bulled your are bloody morons and you are SO MUCH better than them!

Thank you JVS :)

I'm gonna keep reading your convos and maybe I'll pipe up every now and then. Your make up chat intrigues me :)

I love make up but I don't wear it. I always buy it and then it sits there for months and months and I forget I have it. I only wear eyeshadow/mascara/lipstick etc on special occasions. Daily I just use a little powder to make me look less shiny and a bit of concealer! Not a high maintainence kind of girl at all! :)

I do a daily Rue Paul look :rolleyes: Haha.

Not quite but I do wear quite a lot: foundation, eye primer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara(false lashes too if I have a big meeting), bronzer AND blusher, draw in my eyebrows and lippie. That's just for work :eek: but i've leant how to put it down to make it look like I'm wearing half of that :eek:

:DOMG :drool: I am ecstatic at all this make-up talk!!! Feel slightly left behind tho' as being on a crap income for the last 6 years has left me unable to experiment with different brands. O.k. Jez - what is your recommendation for the ultimate foundation, budget and expensive? Bearing in mind I am 38 and have big pores - probably due to years and years of never bothering to take my make up off before I go to bed :eek:. It is quite depressing as I am wondering for how long I can get away with dazzle dusts! Eyelids are not bad at all but they are definitely looser than when I was in my 20s :eek:!

Loving the London discussion. Lived in London for 4 years as a student and LOVED it! When I came back home I was really freaked out at first by complete strangers talking to me in shops etc. Now I'm older I couldn't be doing with the pace and the rudeness. People were much ruder in general than oop North - although you're a lot further oop North than I am. Plus I used to get sexually harrassed constantly by Afro-Carribbean chaps lol. Maybe because I was quite big for a white woman then although nowhere near as big as I am now lol. Hope I've not offended anyone from London!! On the other side of the coin, I found that in London you could really be yourself and dress however you wanted and you weren't judged and people didn't judge me on my size as they have done up here.

Hope everyone has a great day - am a bit confused by all the nicknames but I'm sure I'll soon get the hang of it!! :confused::D

Bazza :8855: xxx

Ooh interested in this sleek makeup chat! Remember having a play with them in super drug and the eyeshadow palettes looked great but put them back coz thought they would be rubbish since they are so reasonably priced, oh and because I just buy makeup but never wear it but now I really want one! :-( x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

JezVonSavage said:
I do a daily Rue Paul look :rolleyes: Haha.

Not quite but I do wear quite a lot: foundation, eye primer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara(false lashes too if I have a big meeting), bronzer AND blusher, draw in my eyebrows and lippie. That's just for work :eek: but i've leant how to put it down to make it look like I'm wearing half of that :eek:

Ha me too! Primer, foundation, concealer, powder, blusher, eyebrows, mascara, eyeliner!

I don't even know what primer is!

Aww man it's only £1.95 for shipping this weekend on the Sleek website and it all looks so pretty! MUST RESIST! x

Aye the acid one Jez. I think the sleek palette is going on my bday wish list! The last eyeshadow I bought was in the mac femme fi collection (the one with all the orange packaging, have I got the right collection name?) so it's been a while!! Was ordered to stop buying make up after a cosmetics splurge that landed me in money trouble hahaha oh dear!! Only buy essentials now like powder foundation etc! Need a treat :)

Alright Barry :D

Firstly- you don't have to spend a fortune on makeup to have fun with it. Invest in an eye primer such as Urban Decay Potion and it will increase the longevity and pigmentation of even your cheapest eyeshadow. Secondly, Ebay is full of Chinese made palettes that are cheap as chips but the quality of the shadow is good enough for personal use and the colour selection is epic! Most beauty students pick up the 120 palette or the 28 palettes for practice- tbh I'll sometimes still get mine out- especially around Halloween :D
DSC08710.jpg

Have a look at: Fräulein3°8 EYESHADOW MAKEUP PALETTE 120/88/28 COLORS | eBay
You really can't complain for £9.

Foundation- ooh- that's always a hard question because I think it all comes down to personal preference. I personally HATE Bobbi Brown foundations but I know people, other artists, who swear by them. I'm going to give you a selection of my fave foundations, all price ranges considered:

OK So my all time personal fave is Kanebo Cellular Performance Total Finish Foundation which, at £52 isn't cheap but is definitely worth it as a one step matte finish. I use this daily as it's easy to apply and it stays put.

My second fave is Laura Geller Phenomenol Foundation, £30 ish once you pay p&p(QVC is my preferred supplier as I used to work for them). Once again this gives a flawless finish but I think it needs to be worked into the skin with a brush more than the Kanebo one. Also, it comes in a limited choice of colours so I always add to this with a dusting of LG Balance & Brighten Powder Foundation. This is the foundation I use in my kit, although I keep a huge variety of samples about my person "just in case". May I add- I'd reccommend any of Laura Geller's product's and I appreciate that it can be pricey, but I prefer all of her stuff to the minefield of products they sell in John Lewis or Debenhams.

A close third and a similar price: MAC Studio Sculp is a gel based foundation particularly good for oily skin types and those who suffer with enlarged pores. Once again, needs a good buffing into the skin with a brush and will benefit from a finishing powder especially on warmer days. If you are able to get to a MAC store or counter it's always worth discussing the foundation options with the well-trained staff who *aren't on commission*. Their range of base products is fantastic but don't let them con you into getting a primer- I can suggest a much better primer. I am not a huge fan of MAC, but I can't champion their bases enough :)

Bare Minerals is a miracle of a product but it needs some confidence. It does not give a fantastic coverage so if your skin is not great you will be disappointed with it- but stick to it. Regular use will actually improve your skin, and then when you use it you don't need a heavy coverage. I take this on holiday with me and use it on younger clients whose skin just needs a bit if a touch up, but I wouldn't use this daily as I prefer a much more preened look.

Now for high street varieties of foundation- I don't use any of these professionally but I think they deserve a mention. I keep these in the house for when I'm skint and have ran out of the expensive stuff. Honestly, there is no competition between these and those listed above- i can see the difference in quality a mile off, but these can all work if you take the time to apply them properly and use the correct finishing products. When it comes to makeup, I think foundation is the one area in which money makes a difference :sigh:
Revlon Colourstay £13 ish
Avon Flawless Cream to Powder £10ish
Gosh X-Ceptional Wear £8ish
Maybelline Dream Matte Mouse £6ish- this seems to be the marmite of the high street makeup world! You either love it or hate it, but if you are on a budget it's worth a shot! Invest in a foundation brush and a light finishing powder

Hope this points you in the right direction Barry :D
I also must add that for a budget brand Collection 2000 is great! I love their Mosaic Glow bronzer although it's quite dark, and their glitter liners are fab. Plus, Laval, that market stall brand- I can't say much good about the whole range but the lipliners and lipsticks are great, and for £1 I don't care if I get pissed and lose it :rolleyes:

PRIMER: It's like when you have to put a "base coat" on your walls before decorating. Actually, there are a lot of similarities between makeup and decorating.

If you are young and good looking (which we all are ;)) you don't need a face primer, but I would say eye primer is my number 1 product because it means I can throw any old cheap crap on my eyes and it stays there without creasing :D

PRIMER: It's like when you have to put a "base coat" on your walls before decorating. Actually, there are a lot of similarities between makeup and decorating.

If you are young and good looking (which we all are ;)) you don't need a face primer, but I would say eye primer is my number 1 product because it means I can throw any old cheap crap on my eyes and it stays there without creasing :D

Ahh, well looks like I'm not missing out on much. I very rarely wear eyeshadow :)

Oooh I didn't even think about asking foundation questions! I really want that 'perfect' finished look so might check out kanebo if you reckon it's worth it Jez? Want something that covers everything and gives that preened finish. The perfect foundation has been a mission of mine forever! Its so hard! I tried bare minerals and like you said, you need good skin underneath and mine needs more than that.

Any suggestions on good sites for samples Jez or do I need to haul my arse down to Harrods? My hatred of tourists means Harrods is on my no go unless emergency list.... X

Ps I looked at sleek but my Sunday brain could not handle fighting through the teenage girls - next time!

Don't know about samples as I've had all of my Kanebo samples sent straight from the company- although I should imagine for the price they would give you some in Harrods- surely?? They don't let Scousers in so I wouldn't know :D

What is your skin like? That foundation works on a daily basis for me because I a) throw it on and b) often wear it for 12+ hours at a time with only menial touch ups. That said- I don't wear it on a night out because I find the Laura Geller combo gives me a nicer finish but requires more effort for application and isn't as long lasting. Also, if I wore the LG liquid + powder foundation every day I'd have skin like the surface of the moon :(

Methinks there's an awful lot on this thread about make up, and very little about soup!
Does anybody remember a certain person's Project 52 promises???

Methinks there's an awful lot on this thread about make up, and very little about soup!
Does anybody remember a certain person's Project 52 promises???

I've made some this morning!!!

SW Rustic Minestrone, the one that always gets bandied about. I've tasted it and it tastes like soup ;) But it's not as exciting as makeup and I can't smear it on my face.

Back