New year, same me; just less wobbly + Project 52!

HELLO ALL! Hope we are all well. JVS has had a terrible few days and it led to me falling (jumping!) off the wagon. Excuse this post- it's a bit mardy.

Things started on thursday when my staff were all arseholes because I reprimanded 2 of them for being late. When I say late, I mean LATE, by an hour or so and this was not just to the office but to a job. When they arrived, they apparently waltzed in laughing and joking with no urgency about them whatsoever. I was embarassed personally and professionally and tried to explain this to them without result, it's my fault apparently for not stressing the importance of the start time. cbkdjfnkebcjnzcnkjhfjnv.zdjnkjdbfvfofufjfjnsdvjnsvo. Ahem.

Then on friday I had a meeting with my business mentor and spent the whole hour crying. it's not that he necessarily upset me but he's one of those "caring" types and sometimes he only has to offer me a cuppa and i'm off. I kind of came to the conclusion, through incessant rambling, that I feel like I work and work for no reward. My staff are arseholes, I get no thanks for anything even though half of the time I put pressure on myself for their benefit, my OH hates my work and sighs everytime I talk about it (prob coz I'm moaning), and my Mum constantly asks when I'll finish my degree. I feel like sacking them all and jacking it in, getting a job on a cruise liner and buggering off somewhere. Tonight, we were offered work for a small business in Warrington. it was nothing much, but work is work, so I took the job expecting that one of the girls (all of whom are saving for weddings, holidays or babies) would snap my hand off for a £45 an hour job that required no major effort and given that it's quite far they'd be entitled to travel expenses. No, all still upset with me so none of them took it, just to be stubborn. So I've been and done it myself, which is quite embarassing given that I don't *do* that anymore, but i've just earnt £180 and have basically paid for my wedding favours.

Anyway, after the horrendous week I didn't make weigh in (still in work) so had a Chinese on both thursday and friday night :eek: Didn't bother counting syns- oh there were a few though. Been back on plan today- if I put on there is no one to blame but myself.

Off to Ikea tomorrow for some of these balled spoons and stuffed veg :D I have a crystal emporium in my back bedroom where I busy myself with all sorts of rhinestoned wonderment as a hobby. I've got a few orders to do and thought I'd treat the emporium to some organisation as currently there are crystals and glue everywhere. I finished my Mum's Mothers Day pressie earlier so I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

yet another busy week so expect even less from me :( sorry ladies, I'll be back on track soon xx

:( sorry you to hear you've had such a bad week. Hope this one is better for you!

Your staff sound ridiculous. £45 an hour?? I'd do anything for that haha... Well, almost! :p

Aww Jez. I feel your pain honey! How you feeling today? Managing people is perhaps the worst part of any job. Whatever you do you're always the bad guy and can never win. How many of them are there? Divide and conquer is my personal rule. You want to give the big I am in front of everyone? Right! Lets see how that attitude changes 1 on 1 when you realise how serious I am and that I'm either going to sack your arse or watch you like a damn hawk. I had to have that conversation the other day. Absolutely hate it. But I put my serious supernanny tone on with the whole 'this behaviour is not acceptable'. Eugh. Seriously. How hard is it to do things right? Not to our standard either (I get the impression you're a fellow perfectionist?) just properly. I actually lose sleep over stuff like this as I a) hate being the bad guy and b) hate my dept looking bad. I need to find a way of letting go. Having a mentor must be helpful though right? What's his input been?

Well done on getting back on plan hun. Everyone needs a breather sometimes, esp after the week you've had. *big hug* x

Pie that was a bit of a one off, they don't normally get paid that which is why i thought they'd all want it! but no, cut their noses off to spite their faces, grrrrrrrr.

GTBSS- i'm not a natural manager iykwim. I've always been told what my job is and got on with it, i've never needed to be managed per so so i don't understand why other people need to be? it's infuriating. And yes, I am a perfectionist which is why a lot of the time I think I may aswell do stuff myself because none of them can do it properly, but then I don't pay myself for it and here I am working all hours of the night to keep things ticking over! My business mentor is useless to be honest- I was funded by the Princes Trust to set up my business and although they offer practical advice sometimes it's hard to apply it literally if you get me.

Up until recently I had 6 employees, one girl bitterly disappointed me a few weeks back by handing in her notice to work in a local beauty salon for minimum wage. She was absolutely fab at her job and I was always proud of her, she could have gone on to great things in makeup but instead she's met someone and is going to settle down, so long hours and travel don't suit her anymore (although 5 months ago she thrived off it!). When she left I tried to discourage her, but she said some horrible stuff to me and I've been disillusioned with my staff since- something along the lines of dying lonely and alone because ambition pushes everyone away from me. You know- the kind of thing you say to someone who has done everything for you. So now I've got 5, all very cliquey and best friends out of work as well as in; They stick together on everything, no matter how wrong they all are! And I can't help thinking that they all agree with the last one, so I'm prob getting a bit paranoid.

I have one girl still working for me who means a lot to me and I think, although she puts a face on in front of the others, is a great worker and deserves to do well. I spoke to one of my old bosses at l'oreal yesterday and asked him if there are any available jobs for her. I'm going to try to set her up in a decent long term position with good prospects and then I'm considering getting rid of the others and using freelance contractors only, no more worries about paying wages and no more arguing about petty sh1t! Honestly, I do not need the hassle!

Feeling a lot better today, thanks guys. I'm having my niece and nephews late and we are making an easter bonnet, I'm sure all the screaming and tantrum throwing will take my mind off it :rolleyes:

P.s- my shift key has broke on my laptop so i apologise for the bizarre typing. Technology *shakes fist*

Pie that was a bit of a one off, they don't normally get paid that which is why i thought they'd all want it! but no, cut their noses off to spite their faces, grrrrrrrr.

GTBSS- i'm not a natural manager iykwim. I've always been told what my job is and got on with it, i've never needed to be managed per so so i don't understand why other people need to be? it's infuriating. And yes, I am a perfectionist which is why a lot of the time I think I may aswell do stuff myself because none of them can do it properly, but then I don't pay myself for it and here I am working all hours of the night to keep things ticking over! My business mentor is useless to be honest- I was funded by the Princes Trust to set up my business and although they offer practical advice sometimes it's hard to apply it literally if you get me.

Up until recently I had 6 employees, one girl bitterly disappointed me a few weeks back by handing in her notice to work in a local beauty salon for minimum wage. She was absolutely fab at her job and I was always proud of her, she could have gone on to great things in makeup but instead she's met someone and is going to settle down, so long hours and travel don't suit her anymore (although 5 months ago she thrived off it!). When she left I tried to discourage her, but she said some horrible stuff to me and I've been disillusioned with my staff since- something along the lines of dying lonely and alone because ambition pushes everyone away from me. You know- the kind of thing you say to someone who has done everything for you. So now I've got 5, all very cliquey and best friends out of work as well as in; They stick together on everything, no matter how wrong they all are! And I can't help thinking that they all agree with the last one, so I'm prob getting a bit paranoid.

I have one girl still working for me who means a lot to me and I think, although she puts a face on in front of the others, is a great worker and deserves to do well. I spoke to one of my old bosses at l'oreal yesterday and asked him if there are any available jobs for her. I'm going to try to set her up in a decent long term position with good prospects and then I'm considering getting rid of the others and using freelance contractors only, no more worries about paying wages and no more arguing about petty sh1t! Honestly, I do not need the hassle!

Feeling a lot better today, thanks guys. I'm having my niece and nephews late and we are making an easter bonnet, I'm sure all the screaming and tantrum throwing will take my mind off it :rolleyes:

P.s- my shift key has broke on my laptop so i apologise for the bizarre typing. Technology *shakes fist*

Oh hunny!
I worked for the Post Office for 10 years then the last two years I was Manager...it nearly killed me! I had staff going sick every five minutes until I sent them a memo telling them that EVERY time they went sick I would be sending a report to the Area Manager....(incidentally he came in the day I was going to hand them out so it gave weight to it) funny how healthy they all became!
One woman was the biggest p*** taker of all! Booking a months holiday without checking first then taking another two weeks unpaid, and when I told her I would put it down as unauthorised she took a further two weeks off sick!
Loads more happened, I just want you to know it's probably not personal but because you're too close to them.
Document that you've given them a verbal warning. If you want to sack them you'll need to show you escalated correctly, make sure you tell them that too.

I wish you well sweetie xxxx

Aw thanks Shirleen, my mum said the exact same thing about it not being personal, when she became a manager she said she saw an overnight change in those who one minute were her peers and the next her staff.

i haven't made things any easier for myself treating them like friends instead of employees- I suppose that makes it harder when they let me down.

Shirleen I've just started a crafting thread in off topic if you fancy joining in, I know you like making stuff x

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time Jez, what a bunch of fuds of staff and bridesmaids you have! :-( a couple days of munching isn't going to undo all your hard work so try not to worry about it and just draw a line under it and get back on it when you feel up to it, when my heads not in the game I can't do SW at all, but when I'm focused it's much easier to stay on track. Have some virtual hugs sounds like you need them xox

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Thanks Lolly, hopefully things will soon work themselves out. It annoys me that I let work have a negative affect on my private life- I need to learn to leave stuff in the office! x

JezVonSavage said:
Thanks Lolly, hopefully things will soon work themselves out. It annoys me that I let work have a negative affect on my private life- I need to learn to leave stuff in the office! x

Yeah it's hard though - work just takes up so much of our time and sadly we have to spend more time with our co-workers than our actual friends :-( at the end of the day it's your business and if they are letting you down and making you miserable they need to go! X

Ah Jez I can see why you're thinking like that. Maybe you need to be a bit selfish and think what's going to be best for you and your business. It does sound like the stresses of those girls eat into your downtime and if you have the opportunity to change it and it's def the right option then it's worth considering. If it helps I'm in the Same position having started managing within last 6 months. I take it all to heart as I'm used to being everyone's friend but to run things you can't. Growing a thicker skin and realising that they're not mates is seemingly crucial. Easier said than done tho.... Just remember, we all think you're amazing! X

Jez no wonder you had a mini blimp
wedding planning is very stressful as it is
without having stroppy bridesmaids in the mix
and your business worry's

You cursed me Baz!! I've had a horrendous week, haha.

The Kraken is not a theme, just part of the cake! We've had a rough old ride, me and my OH, so I suppose it's our way of saying we've got each other however bad things get :rolleyes: It's taken us a loooooong time to get married and if it wasn't for parental intervention we probably still wouldn't have thought about it! And now that we are I won't let anyone bully me into having something I don't want- I'm not really what you would expect from a bride, we are having a nautical theme (getting married in a yacht club) and then it all gets a bit chaotic from there. If you like gothic style dresses, have you looked at Uptight Clothing? Their stuff is fab.

Cheeky question but why don't you do private tuition anymore? Would you not make a bit of money from that?

Oh god - sorry. Am going to say nothing about this week!!! Sounds like a total nightmare hon and you must have very little spare time. :drool: at Uptight clothing!! Got very over excited then saw the prices lol but yes, if money was no object and I was slim enough this is how I would dress all the time!!!!
Totally relate to what you said re you and OH and what you've been through. My OH and I are just the same - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that - or possibly just want to kill each other :8855: Love the nautical theme xxx
She let an entire generation down didn't she? Daamn Stefani. I still have a bit of a soft spot for her though :eek:

Shirl- do you have a photo of you brunette? Like you, I can't decide if my hair should be natural colour (as it is now) or blonde (as most people think my hair is naturally) for the wedding :(

In other news, I did the cheapest thing today :eek: I have 7 bridesmaids at the wedding, 4 of whom are adults who I didn't want to be bm but we got p1ssed and they cried about it so....meh. Anyway, it was decided that to keep down on costs i'd pay for dresses if they pay for shoes and accesories, something that I won't be specifying, i'd prefer them to exert their own style on the dress so they all look individual. SO. I'm now wondering why it's necessary to also buy them a present?? I'm paying for their dress, their flowers, their hair, tan and makeup and for their food and drink all day....now they want a present? And quite frankly all they've done is be pains in the arse the whole team, what am I thanking them for??

So I bought a job lot of sterling bracelets and murano glass beads from one of my suppliers and I'm making them completely irrelevant bracelets. Is this inappropriate? Am I being horrible and tight? The flower girls are getting something a bit nicer, but they are only 2, 5 and 12?
These need spacer beads so this is what i've got so far:

View attachment 27481

*screams* :eek:

People without eyebrows freak me out! I used to be in love with this boy in school, he really honest a God looked like Justin Timberlake. One weekend, a friend shaved his eyebrows off while he was asleep and when he came in on Monday I was mortified! He gave me the creeps!
Think a very personal gift that you have made yourself is a lovely idea. Surely this lot realise that this country is in a depression and everyone has to pull their belts in a bit. How ungrateful they sound. Can't believe how much you are already paying for for them. Grrr. Sack 'em all Jez and just have the little ones!!

Very behind with diaries so I'll just say have a er, week!! Catch you soon xxx

Hey Jez

Just catching up, haven't had proper Internet for a few days so I'm a bit behind on your diary!

Sounds like you've had a bit of a shitty time with your work, hope things have picked up this week.

I hope you got back on plan with SW, it is really hard to stick at it when everything else seems to be going to pot! I just got back on track today after my crappy week last week and then bf's birthday weekend! We all need Chinese food and no syn counting days occasionally though :)

Xxx

Just popping by to say hope your week has started well. Let us know when you can :) x

Hi everyone, thanks for the kind words of support. Just popping in to give a quick update. Work was very frosty today; gave the 2 who were late a documented warning and have told them they can't work together on jobs until I see an improvement in their behaviour. Also told the whole staff that i'm going to be undertaking a customer survey and if any issues come up they will require further action.
Debating whether to create an opportunity for one of them to be promoted- that would throw the cat among the pigeons.

So they pretty much all ignored me and sucked their teeth all day but it's ok, they'll all be speaking to me at 4pm tomorrow when they want to finish early, or when I enforce the rule that they have to come back to the office after a job even if it's just to sit there for 4 mins until they officially finish :D

Hope we are all well, proper update tomorrow :)

JezVonSavage said:
Hi everyone, thanks for the kind words of support. Just popping in to give a quick update. Work was very frosty today; gave the 2 who were late a documented warning and have told them they can't work together on jobs until I see an improvement in their behaviour. Also told the whole staff that i'm going to be undertaking a customer survey and if any issues come up they will require further action.
Debating whether to create an opportunity for one of them to be promoted- that would throw the cat among the pigeons.

So they pretty much all ignored me and sucked their teeth all day but it's ok, they'll all be speaking to me at 4pm tomorrow when they want to finish early, or when I enforce the rule that they have to come back to the office after a job even if it's just to sit there for 4 mins until they officially finish :D

Hope we are all well, proper update tomorrow :)

That's great Jez I hope it's the kick up the bum that they need :) x

Back