Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Newbie from Nottingham

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Simes2112, 15 May 2010 Social URL.

1. Simes2112

Simes2112 New Member

Start Weight:
    29st10lb
    Current Weight:
    28st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(3.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi there everyone. I'm Simon, or Simes to my friends.

I am 50 years old and I live in Nottingham with my wife Marie - we've been married 28 years this year and I am about to take early retirement. I've worked in "computing" for 30 years since I left University in 1980 and I am ready for a change (I'll come back to that).

I've got 3 great children - all grown up and living under their own steam (for the most part) but all still close by in Nottingham which is great. Daniel, the youngest was 22 in April - Kim, will be 25 in 10 days time and Andrew will be 27 in July.

Kim and her partner Marc have three gorgeous children Hollie 6, Bethany 5 and Ethan 2 (just 2 days ago).

Marie and I have a dog too, she's 13 and is called Crackers which just about sums her up.

A change I said. My weight is top priority for change. It has always been my lowest priority and since I got married I have increased in weight by 12 stone (at my worst in December 2009). I've dropped over a stone since then. I've had some serious health problems in the past year and was in hospital with a major asthma attack and heart issues over New Year. A long overdue kick in the backside. My mobility is severely impacted - I have to use an electric scooter to get around and an electric wheelchair at work.

I've been referred by my GP for weight loss surgery - but it scares me to be honest. And besides - when i went to the hospital they sent me away saying "lose some weight, come back in 3 months and if you have lost some weight we'll put you on the 6 month waiting list".

They didn't say how much weight. But then I got to thinking - so nothing is going to happen until the end of 2010 with the hospital and I was speaking to a friend I used to work with on Facebook (he'd seen my posts about the hospital etc.) and he told me that he had lost almost 9 stone in 18 months on Slimming World. So I figured I had nothing to lose but weight (*groan* I know, bad joke).

So my theory is, now that I am on slimming world and I have already lost 9 pounds in 3 weeks then when I got for my next hospital appointment in early July I will definitely have lost some weight. Hopefully, close to 2 stone by then and they'll put me on the list, but if I can keep up an average of 2 pounds per week then I will achieve my first target which is to get down to 25 stone or better by 31st December 2010. Which should be right around the time they offer me a date for surgery - my thinking is that if I can lose that much weight on SW why would I put myself under the knife? And if I can end up 2010 5 stone lighter than the start - why can't I achieve similar in 2011, or even a bit better, because I should be more mobile then and able to get some exercise in. My goal is to get to 18 stone by the end of 2011.

Even for a 6 footer like me, 18 stone is still regarded as Obese - but heck, let me get there first and then I will worry about the next steps.

OK that's my story and my introduction - I hope it is suitable.

Any advice, guidance, questions etc. will be most welcome and much appreciated.

Thank you, Simon.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. debz32

debz32 Gold Member

hey there Simon - hello and WELCOME :D to Minimins !

well done on a great start with SW - it's a great plan and men seem to do particularly well.....:rolleyes:

this is a great forum - loads of helpful advice and support - please have a look around and SHOUT if you have any questions !

Looking forward to hearing all about your success !!!

Debz xx

4. Simes2112

Simes2112 New Member

Start Weight:
    29st10lb
    Current Weight:
    28st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(3.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thank you ...

Thank you Debz for the welcome.

I know I'll find this forum extremely useful and informative.

Take care,

Simes x

5. IreneH

IreneH Gold Member

Diet:
    WW
    Hi and welcome. Please come over and see us in the SW section and good luck.

Irene xx

6. Simes2112

Simes2112 New Member

Start Weight:
    29st10lb
    Current Weight:
    28st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    18st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st13lb(3.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Will do ...

Thanks Irene ... I will come by the SW forum as I find my way around over the next few days.

Simes x

7. Mummoth

Mummoth Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    16st11.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5.5lb(12.45%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    hi Simon. Welcome to the forum. Well done on your weight loss so far. SW is a really good diet insomuch as it doesn't really feel like a diet! I really hope you get to your goal successfully and without having to succumb to the knife :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.