Newbie - HELLO!

kittykatflash

Hey all!

Just thought i would say hi to you all. Its my 1st day today and all is going well so far! Just having the Veg soup - nom!

I have decided to do the total solution for a week then do the working solution as i get married in 2 weeks and wanted a boost for this week ( my last dress fitting next Friday) then i can reintroduce food the week before the wedding so i dont make myself ill.

i think i will continue with the working solution during my summer hols ( l'm a teacher) the when i get back to work in Sept i can start eating normally again.

Just bought some new scales from Argos and they don't work - so will nip to tesco in a bit to et weighed!

Will keep you all posted.....

A x

welcome im sure you will enjoy this forum we are a great support and have a laugh to . Goodluck hope it goes well

Good luck :D

Welcome

I know you only plan on doing TS for a week, but be be careful as your BMI is below the recommended BMI for TS and I think they have good reasons for that. Hopefully a week will be ok :)

Good luck for looking wonderful in your wedding dress! I am sure you will :)

Thankyou for all the welcome messages and advice!

My BMI is 31.0 - would like to get it down to 25!

But after thinking, i believe that the working solution is best for me, i found TS so hard even after 2 days. i also am training for a half marathon and feel i need a little extra fuel.

I hoping to re-train myself to eat enough to keep my going and fuelling my body to what it needs not more! i really enjoying eating - but obviously too much as i wouldn't be wanting to loose the excess weight.

So i will have a chicken salad tonight for tea, i thought that i would have shake for b/fast, soup for lunch and the salad for tea. Does that sound ok?

Good morning kittykay, have you consulted anyone with regards to your training becuase going on a diet like this, even the ws, coould be dangerous, surely you would need a lot more carbs that this could give you, especially for long distance running.

Carbohydrates are arguably the most important source of energy for athletes. No matter what sport you play, carbs provide the energy that fuels muscle contractions. Once eaten, carbohydrates breakdown into smaller sugars (glucose, fructose and galactose) that get absorbed and used as energy. Any glucose not needed right away gets stored in the muscles and the liver in the form of glycogen. Once these glycogen stores are filled up, any extra gets stored as fat.

Fat provides the highest concentration of energy of all the nutrients. One gram of fat equals nine calories. This calorie density, along with our seemingly unlimited storage capacity for fat, makes fat our largest reserve of energy. One pound of stored fat provides approximately 3,600 calories of energy. While these calories are less accessible to athletes performing quick, intense efforts like sprinting or weight lifting, fat is essential for longer, slower lower intensity and endurance exercise such as easy cycling and walking.

Athletes need protein primarily to repair and rebuild muscle that is broken down during exercise and to help optimizes carbohydrate storage in the form of glycogen. Protein isn’t an ideal source of fuel for exercise, but can be used when the diet lacks adequate carbohydrate. This is detrimental, though, because if used for fuel, there isn’t enough available to repair and rebuild body tissues, including muscle.

All of the above will affect your training and could do long term damage if you are going to restrict your diet.

You should probably see a dietition, to be honest

All of the above is true, however you also need to remember that the human body has a fantastic ability to adapt to the demands we put on it, you just need to listen to what its telling you.

Everything obviously depends on the training you are doing and how much exercise you did before the diet.

I exercise 6 days a week on TS and incorporate lots of running and lots of weights and I work out very hard but not to the detriment of my health, I did this on CD SS and became extremely toned which is ideally the aim.

As Mark said see a dietitian but only you know how much you are able to do.

Just didn't want you to get scared off.

I know enough to know that if you are not getting the carbs, fat and protein you will suffer long lasting muscle problems, there is also a risk of heart problems because without these the heart has to work that much harder, especially with long distance running, speak to any runner and they will say the same.

Lou I know you did a lot of exersise but long distance running is a different animal altogether and require the right balance.

Thanks for all the advice mark! You know your stuff.

I struggle to eat breakfast so even when i am running so i thought that the shakes would be a good way of having a 'breakfast' i know that after a run a chocolate milkshake is a good to have.

I will be careful, admittedly i am not running much atm due to lack of time with the wedding being so close so i was aiming to shift a few pounds before the big day with Exante and then when the training for the runs starts again after the big day - l might stick with the shake for breakfast and have 2 balanced meals a day.

I tend to only do one long run a week, and the day before it i eat carbs, the other runs are short training runs to increase speed and usually only last for about 25/30 mins at a time. These burn up to about 250ish cals.

Hi Kittykat, that sounds fine, as long as you are taking in more than what you are burning, you have to make sure the balance is right though, that you taking in carbs, protein, etc. Its sounds like you will be fine, just remember that when you training more closer to the marathon to eat more carbs,etc. Carbs are the key to long distance running and provide the fuel needed.

Back