Newbie help

Hi everyone - thought I'd join here and say hi. I've started the Dukan diet yesterday and think I am doing ok so far yesterday and today

Breakfast - Galette
Snack - ham
lunch - prawns, chciken breast and boiled egg
snack - muller light vanilla yogurt and boiled egg

The problem is going to be tonight as we are going out for supper to pizza express. Any suggestions what will be my best choice - I know I shouldnt really eat out during attack but thought if I didnt start yesterday, it would just delay me starting.

Should I maybe have a chicken salad and pick on the chicken and leave the salad. Or do I eat then just carry on with attack tomorrow and extend the days - I am supposed to do attack for 3 days.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hello there,

Firstly your menu looks fine to me. I shall presume your ham was the lowest fat you could find. If you go to the top of the page, where there are blue bands, and go to "User CP", you can fill in your current weight, height etc. (It's important to eat enough protein for one's current weight, which is why we ask, to protect your muscles).
Please also drink plenty of water, and think about getting yourself some sugar free vitamin pills.

Now, for tonight. I'd back out if I were you or switch the venue! But that's me. Otherwise eat beforehand, and say you're not hungry! If you think you can get a plain chicken breast in a pizza express, and you'll be able to resist everything else, why not. Salad would be the least bad thing you could have there, I guess!

Hi Little bird - bad timing having to go out to pizza express when you have started Dukan - i think i avoided going anywhere for about a month!
as Jo says just check the chicken doesnt have any coatings/sauces on. TBH its going to be a bit boring for you?

Bad timing but you need to live your life!! I would either go for some chicken in some form or enjoy and start from day one again tomorrow. Maybe do it over 3 days where you can have pure protein??

Louise - not a helpful first sentence.

It was "living our lives" which got us all overweight in the first place!

Thanks for your replies everyone - We have so much coming up (eating out) - that its going to be really hard for me - and i wanted to start ASAP.

Will have to just have to restart my 3 days attack from tomorrow at least I know what I'm doing now.

How does everyone else cope with eating out?

aww you were doing so well today too.
I would try attack (how long are you doing it for?) when you have nothing planned for those days...when on cruise so much easier for eating out...fish and veg/salad or steak.

oh fantastic :) could even get chicken and a steak ;) seeing as you not having veg or salad!

Well done! T'would be a shame to mess up Attack

Maintainer thanks for your view! I unfortunately have a life, friends, kids, job and need to fit my life round this. I can't put birthdays and celebrations on hold while I'm dieting, or "change venues" when friends plan meals and occasions out.

Or not go anywhere in case I ruin my diet that is ridiculous and unmanageable in the long term. in my humble view damage limitation is the best option.

I have to live my life and make dukan fit as best I can and try not to give myself a hard time for trying my best.

oh dear .....Louise i felt like that once ..now I know i need to lose the weight i gained joining in all those celebrations your true you can do damage limitation , but then we just have to remember not to moan when after a couple of weeks of "dos " not to moan that this diet just isnt working !!

Dukan is a massive commitment and you do have to focus on it 100%. Especially in the early days this does mean turning down invitations and not leading the same lifestyle you once did so you can get used to the rhythms of a protein only diet. It's hard, but the results are definitely worth it. Once you're into cruise and are used to the rules and patterns it's easier to eat out and make choices that won't affect the diet, but it really is all or nothing with dukan - you can't just dip in and out of it when it suits. If you don't think you'll be able to stick to it 100% then perhaps this isn't the best diet for you.

Well said Emma!

Yes I delayed the start of my attack last summer by a week or two to get several events out of the way. Not all to do with food and celebration but also with stress and being really busy. Then I had 4 clear weekdays to start and a weekend to get into Cruise mode. My mum who was inspired by my success delayed her start from last November to Jan, now she's got no major social commitments or holidays lined up and can be 100% committed and has lost ~5kg since mid-Jan! Which is an achievement at 70+(age)

As you said it's a choice you make, and Louise really advice in this forum ought to be supportive to stick with the diet rather than stray from day one (or two) and then try to make up. As was said earlier, this diet has no 'allowances' till much later in Phase III, and eating the wrong thing could make you drop out of fat-burning mode (avoiding the word ketosis here!) and you have to get back into it all again.

Little bird well done, it's hard but yes you can make little changes - like venue changes that allow you to stick to a more dukan-friendly intake. People here usually have masses of helpful suggestions. Good luck!!

Rather than getting your OH to eat your chips, ask for your meal without the chips - far less tempting.

Well I had just steak and a diet coke so am really pleased I got the venue changed. Day 3 and I'm doing good. According to my scales - lost 4lb so far!!! Thanks

Perfect! Onward and offward!

Excellent! Well done! You can usually find a way of making the diet work. I went away for a whole weekend with a friend during Cruise (which is obviously easier than Attack) and found it not too difficult. As long as you can have something like simple fish, chicken or steak with salad, it's no problem. I even took a freezer bag full of Dukan goodies!

I went for a walk on Sunday with a pocket full of turkey and roast beef, cut in cubes! (ok not literally a pocket full... they were in a bag! But I was glad of them when others ate "other things"!!)

Back