Newbie needing help.

SulisMinerva

Hello everyone, boy this forum is hard to negotiate, very confused. I have no idea what my weight loss ticker means either as it's in pounds, oh for a stones one!

Anyway, my question.; I am both frustrated and confused. I've been going to SW on and off for some years, started in 2008 and returned last year, had a break then returned again last week. Last week, and to my horror the group woman leader or whatever said that food becomes sinned if you cook it in oil. Well of course I said. EG. cook onions (free) in a tablespoon of oil (6) then 6 sins isn't it? NO! eh? She said 'the onions change' 'cooking food changes it so it becomes sinned' eh? hang on... onions free plus tblsp 6 = more than 6? Would have to look it up... no real explanation, I asked for the 'science' behind it and she could not explain. I have for the past 4 years been doing it this way adding the oil value to my food, but no it's wrong, still managed to lose weight though. Confused, baffled... a bit peed off, sounds faddy and a load of bollards to me. Can anyone enlighten me. I did mention at the group, 'is it the mashed banana thing again' (something I have yet to hear a group leader explain the science of intelligably). I really hate pseudo science and when I get this weird inexplicable rule at SW it puts me off:ashamed0005:

I've never heard of that before... If you cook something that's free in 6 syns worth of oil then it's just 6 syns... It wouldn't be more than that.

Well it's new to me, I always thought it was the case. I did try and get some sort of clarification from the consultant but she was very vague and tbh after the group I felt rather peed off and frustrated. Never understood the mashed banana thing either, seems stupid. :rolleyes:

I agree...six syns!! What a lot of confusion. MMmmm I get the fruit being blended etc but not mash banana lol

I (and a lot of people) work on the principle that if I would eat that amount in one sitting unmashed I don't syn it. It's a bit of a tweak I guess, but no worse eating one banana than mashing it - like you say your teeth do that!

ThatBubbs said:
I (and a lot of people) work on the principle that if I would eat that amount in one sitting unmashed I don't syn it. It's a bit of a tweak I guess, but no worse eating one banana than mashing it - like you say your teeth do that!

Exactly, as their idea is that mashing/juicing/cooking etc enourages us to eat more of it that we wouldn't normally eat. But if you were to have a banana eother way why shoul it matter if its already mashed befor its in your mouth or not? Haha

Hello everyone, boy this forum is hard to negotiate, very confused. I have no idea what my weight loss ticker means either as it's in pounds, oh for a stones one!

Anyway, my question.; I am both frustrated and confused. I've been going to SW on and off for some years, started in 2008 and returned last year, had a break then returned again last week. Last week, and to my horror the group woman leader or whatever said that food becomes sinned if you cook it in oil. Well of course I said. EG. cook onions (free) in a tablespoon of oil (6) then 6 sins isn't it? NO! eh? She said 'the onions change' 'cooking food changes it so it becomes sinned' eh? hang on... onions free plus tblsp 6 = more than 6? Would have to look it up... no real explanation, I asked for the 'science' behind it and she could not explain. I have for the past 4 years been doing it this way adding the oil value to my food, but no it's wrong, still managed to lose weight though. Confused, baffled... a bit peed off, sounds faddy and a load of bollards to me. Can anyone enlighten me. I did mention at the group, 'is it the mashed banana thing again' (something I have yet to hear a group leader explain the science of intelligably). I really hate pseudo science and when I get this weird inexplicable rule at SW it puts me off:ashamed0005:

Who on earth is your consultant? :eek: :confused: You sure she didnt mean FRUIT (as opposed to FOOD)?

All vegetables that are free remain free when cooked (other than any other ingredients that you add such as the oil).
Fruit is different as it is synned when it is cooked or pureed. Fruit has a lot more calories in it than veg so it is a LOT easier to over consume. If you blend them you can easily drink ten oranges in a few seconds - you would NEVER *EAT* ten whole oranges in that time! If you cook them, again they are a lot softer and easy to swallow loads of them very quickly. Theres also issues with the sugars that are released directly when you cook or puree fruit meaning your body just absorbs them and doesnt have to break them down.
Vegetables just dont have this, they are comparitively negligible in calories and take affort for your body to break down. (The only vegetables that are arent like this and are relatively high in calories like this are the ones that aren't superfree - parsnips, potatoes etc)

You can cook your onions in whatever you like as long as you syn whatever it is you add.

The only exception I can think of is using them in a way they arent intended, like making crisps out of potatoes or using them as flour and stuff. There are whole other threads on that so Im not going into it here.

Yep, I thought it was carp. Made me a little bit angry, it's misleading and disempowering for people to be given this sort of info without any backup, and she couldn't back it up. I've been to SW on and off for a few years and continued to lose weight, had a lot of consultants, don't really like the current one, she talks to the group like we're all simple and it appears she doesn't really know the basics. She is a nice woman I hasten to add but, not on the ball. Oh well, I'll just carry on carrying on.

Yep, I thought it was carp. Made me a little bit angry, it's misleading and disempowering for people to be given this sort of info without any backup, and she couldn't back it up. I've been to SW on and off for a few years and continued to lose weight, had a lot of consultants, don't really like the current one, she talks to the group like we're all simple and it appears she doesn't really know the basics. She is a nice woman I hasten to add but, not on the ball. Oh well, I'll just carry on carrying on.

I think people should let head office know when they make pretty major ballsups like this tbh. :sigh: If they get enough complaints they might put them in for a nit of 'retraining'? :rolleyes:

Well thanks for the replies everyone, feel a bit more relaxed, I was getting worked up thinking SW had shifted the goalposts and more mashed banana science was coming in. Don't really want to complain about the consultant, she is a nice woman, but if she does persist with this thing about using oil with free food changing it somehow, I'm going to have to pin her down on it (not literally). BTW, Ermintrude 8stone weight loss? WOW!!! well done :party0049:

This forum appears to be massive and I don't understand how to get the slimming world stickers and weekly weight loss signatures, still, not at 50 + posts yet so I guess it doesn't matter.

In the Off-Topic forum there is a post with links to the SW stickers, that you can save and upload to your own photo hosting website (eg photobucket). The tickers are from different sites, if you click on one of them, or google 'weight loss ticker' it'll give you the details on what you need to fill in / put in your signature etc when you hit that 50 posts :)

Back