newbie starting slimming world needs help

Not a pig at all. Sometimes you need that. You can have more meals if you need but try to keep them superfree or mostly super free (which is easy - eg put loads of veggies in quorn bolognaise). You are unlimited on superfree and free foods but they encourage you to eat as much as you need rather than what you want (often a little different - particularly in my case). You will be surprised what you can eat and still lose weight - it's great. I just love it :D

Gail x
are sw chips free or super free? i love them! could eat them with quorn sausages and eggs? are these all free or super free....i shall try to find a meeting next week so i dont have to keep asking these annoying questions but appreciate all the info hugely!:D

i shall have a look karen, you would laugh if you saw my day today...my sister whos also trying this diet and is a nurse has been calling me all day saying....im hungry can i have this can i have that lol i have been on this site all day trying to find out what we can both eat...she was like....can i have low fat cottage cheese...is it a sin? what about gin and tonic sin? etc etc and she drove me nuts with calling me before every drink and every bite lol and im not the expert so i sent her the link to here but bless her she works long hours as a nurse so i dont mind doing the work for us both....besides which if i lose my weight first she gotta buy me £50 pair of jeans as my prize so the heat is on to see who buys them for the winner!
thats a great idea i wish someone would buy me a £50 pair of jeans good luck with that.
i'm searching for a dress to buy im going to put it on hubbys card and buy it 2 sizes too small as inspiration to lose

right im definately going to pluck up the courage and goto a class, im really nervous about going but im going to do it i have to if i want to be thin again! and the sin books are a great idea i need those.....luckily i dont drink so will be ok on the alcohol side but i always eat until im stuffed and veg dont seem to fill me up unless its like a mountain of chips over flowing off my plate with salt and vinegar...and i wont lose weight eating them every day i expect even if i make sw ones?

Great idea. I'm sure it will be fine. Even if you just go for a few weeks to get used to it. You will not be the only nervous one I promise you. If you are going regularly, you won't necessarily need the syn directories because you'll have internet access (which has it all and more) but if you stop going to group, the directories are a great idea (and I have one at home as well as internet access because sometimes it's easier to look up).

You CAN eat really big portions (I do) but try to go back for seconds if you still want rather than filling your plate really high. Try not to feel hungry - you will be more likely to fill up on junk if you are. Try to fill up on superfree - if you do, you probably could eat SW chips every day as long as you keep your plate full of superfree and stick to the plan. Use your syns because they are there to help you stick to plan.

I absolutely love the plan (having never done it before) and am just sooooo chuffed with my losses (see my stats - they are up to date). I'm so excited for you at the beginning of your journey to see what you can achieve and how it makes you feel.

I have to go to bed now but hope it goes well.

Gail x

:D
thats a great idea i wish someone would buy me a £50 pair of jeans good luck with that.
i'm searching for a dress to buy im going to put it on hubbys card and buy it 2 sizes too small as inspiration to lose
ah great idea...then hang it on the fridge door lol
failing that stick it in the kitchen at least so you gotta pass it on the way to the fridge or cupboards haha...
i thought i might get some skinny photos of me and stick them on the fridge from how i used to look, might help me....
i need all the inspiration i can get....im already sat here thinking about those lovely sw chips and the fact i bought some salt today as had ran out and cant wait to have some tomorrow now....yes i added a new meal to tomorrows list i gotta have those chips!:D

Great idea. I'm sure it will be fine. Even if you just go for a few weeks to get used to it. You will not be the only nervous one I promise you. If you are going regularly, you won't necessarily need the syn directories because you'll have internet access (which has it all and more) but if you stop going to group, the directories are a great idea (and I have one at home as well as internet access because sometimes it's easier to look up).

You CAN eat really big portions (I do) but try to go back for seconds if you still want rather than filling your plate really high. Try not to feel hungry - you will be more likely to fill up on junk if you are. Try to fill up on superfree - if you do, you probably could eat SW chips every day as long as you keep your plate full of superfree and stick to the plan. Use your syns because they are there to help you stick to plan.

I absolutely love the plan (having never done it before) and am just sooooo chuffed with my losses (see my stats - they are up to date). I'm so excited for you at the beginning of your journey to see what you can achieve and how it makes you feel.

I have to go to bed now but hope it goes well.

Gail x

OMG LOOK AT YOUR STATS!!!!! YOU HAVE DONE AMAZING!!!
if i can do that i will be totally over the moon...wow you must feel amazing truly! in such a short time too well done you!
thanks for the advice and well done im so made up reading that and its inspired me so much! sleep well ;):D

Morning all!
Well i know i should not take any notice of the scales but i needed to see if there is any change and so far....i gained a little since yesterday, so having posted my meals yesterday and read your feedback i have decided to be etra strict today and double check everything.
here goes:
Brekkie 2x quorn sausages,2x baked tomatoes,2x eggs (frylight) half tin tesco value baked beans. cup of tea made with 2 sweetners (splenda) and 30mls semi skimmed milk (can i have 250 mls a day he is that right?)

lunch is in the slow cooker:
half pack quorn mince, carton passata, chopped carrots,1 onion, tin tesco value chopped tomatoes, Plan to have this with jacket potato that ok?

dinner: plan to have quorn chicken piece and broccoli,carrotts,baked potatoe and 3 tsp bovril gravy ...

am i on target anybody????
thanks again :) p.s my sister started this yesterday too!

Try not to weigh yourself so much, only weigh yourself at a set time each week like you would in class, it might be an idea to get together with your sister and have a joint weigh in each week at a set time
Diary seems fin but font forget to have some syns as you need them and it's a lifestyle change not a diet as such so you need to be able to keep it up

Hi everyone, i have been reading your posts this past two days infact i have done more reading than housework!
i have decided to give it a go on this diet after failing all others miserably so actually i started 2 days ago after reading all your success stories. i cannot afford to join slimming world just now but have bought a book from amazon called free food by slimming world i believe, although it isnt much good!
i am getting used to asking google how many syns and are foods free though and hopefully i will lose some weight, im currently 205 lbs and would love to get to 140 pounds by 1st november is this doable doing only green days? im not a great meat lover really but do like quorn is this allowed on green days and how much do i have to measure etc?
i noticed some people putting something about healthy extra or options and a and b next to it but im not sure what that means???
any advice would truly be appreciated!
i have got so depressed since gaining weight i no longer have a social life my bmi is 31.01 and i look awful. i know i can do this i just need a little help with what i can and cannot eat :)
thanks in advance :)

Hi lasttime, you say you can't afford to join a class (neither could I) I just wondered if you had heard of the slimming world referral through your gp?
Not many people have. I myself really wanted to join again after losing weight in 2005 doing SW but couldn't afford it. One of my work colleagues said her gp had got vouchers for a 12 week membership for her! I phoned my gp who had never heard of it and the receptionist tried to fob me off. Unfortunately for them I work at my local hospital so was not intimidated by them so I then rang my PCT for confirmation - (look on your NHS choices website for your local number) and they confirmed that the SW referral would be available to me if my BMI was below 34.9
I made an appointment with my GP explained all this, he still didn't know what I was on about lol but I quoted what the lady at the PCT had told me. They have a referral form to send ppl to 'lifestyle management' which is a healthy eating course plus 12 week local gym membership and on the bottom of that form is apparently the info on SW. Either way if they complete the form and your BMI is below 34.9 you are eligible for free 12 week membership to SW.
I received mine and got all the books and 12 weeks of WI/classes for FREE!! (plus access to SW website)
That has now expired but I have all the info I need to continue. I have only lost 9lbs in total since joining in Oct but to be fair i the run up to xmas I was totally off plan!
Im determined to continue to lose this weight for good
I really feel you should look into this or just attend one class, maybe wait for a half price offer and just get the books so you have all the basic info you need-you may well struggle without it
Im sorry for the essay but hope this info helps in some way xxxx

Hi lasttime, you say you can't afford to join a class (neither could I) I just wondered if you had heard of the slimming world referral through your gp?
Not many people have. I myself really wanted to join again after losing weight in 2005 doing SW but couldn't afford it. One of my work colleagues said her gp had got vouchers for a 12 week membership for her! I phoned my gp who had never heard of it and the receptionist tried to fob me off. Unfortunately for them I work at my local hospital so was not intimidated by them so I then rang my PCT for confirmation - (look on your NHS choices website for your local number) and they confirmed that the SW referral would be available to me if my BMI was below 34.9
I made an appointment with my GP explained all this, he still didn't know what I was on about lol but I quoted what the lady at the PCT had told me. They have a referral form to send ppl to 'lifestyle management' which is a healthy eating course plus 12 week local gym membership and on the bottom of that form is apparently the info on SW. Either way if they complete the form and your BMI is below 34.9 you are eligible for free 12 week membership to SW.
I received mine and got all the books and 12 weeks of WI/classes for FREE!! (plus access to SW website)
That has now expired but I have all the info I need to continue. I have only lost 9lbs in total since joining in Oct but to be fair i the run up to xmas I was totally off plan!
Im determined to continue to lose this weight for good
I really feel you should look into this or just attend one class, maybe wait for a half price offer and just get the books so you have all the basic info you need-you may well struggle without it
Im sorry for the essay but hope this info helps in some way xxxx
That is so useful!!!!
i will be at the doctors monday morning with a copy of the info you told me! this has made my day!!! now im going to tell my sister this also as thats so helpful to both of us, we live 100 miles apart but we speak often usually regarding what can i have net conversations lol!!!
and dont knock yourself on your loss, any loss is better than a gain right!!!! you could easily have gained that weight instead of losing it so for a second imagine that...then remember you lost it....how do you feel now? pretty proud i would imagine! so well done to you and thanks so much for the info! just had the bolognaise for lunch with sw chips and then a shape zero yoghurt and i feel full....i keep thinking how can i lose weight when i feel so full lol
im gonna keep at this and i can tell you this.....without people like you advising me i would never keep this up...so i not only am doing this for me and my kids but also as a thanks for the support im getting.....im 40 in november and i would so love to be at target by my birthday as my sisters birthday is same time....what a celebration that would be!
:D

karen

Try not to weigh yourself so much, only weigh yourself at a set time each week like you would in class, it might be an idea to get together with your sister and have a joint weigh in each week at a set time
Diary seems fin but font forget to have some syns as you need them and it's a lifestyle change not a diet as such so you need to be able to keep it up

Thanks karen!
Well i posted up my brekkie but lunch has been a little different, i made the bolognaise
half pack quorn mince, carton passata, chopped carrots,1 onion, tin tesco value chopped tomatoes,1 bovril stock cube, BUT instead of jacket potatoe i had a mountain of sw chips...like a mountain! half plate piled with them.....eeeek... then a shape zero yoghurt but i cannot figure out if i have had any syns or he's today? could you or anyone advise, im thinking i havnt but im so worried i may screw up i need a professionals help lol

Slimming world Referel through gp for 12 weeks and maybe 12 etra weeks!!!! (looked it up thanks chazle!)

Slimming World on Referral gives GPs, nurses and other health professionals the opportunity to offer free membership of a local Slimming World group to those patients who they feel would benefit. Referred patients attend at no cost to themselves for an initial 12-week period; the cost to the NHS is subsidised by Slimming World.
Our standard Slimming World on Referral package consists of 12 weekly group sessions and additional support (telephone, buddy system and free online support) in between group meetings as required by individuals. The package covers 12 consecutive weeks attendance. Continuation vouchers are available for a further 12 weeks should you wish to offer an extension of the service to some patients.
The service operates via a voucher system. These are pre-purchased by the NHS. Patients are provided with a referral voucher pack by a health professional (typically a GP, nurse or Health Trainer) and these are redeemed at a local Slimming World group. No booking is required, although the patient will have the contact details of the Slimming World Consultant and may choose to telephone before attending.
Patients referred to the scheme will:
  • Keep a personal log of their weight changes at each weekly session
  • Record all their food intake for the first 4 weeks, thereafter being able to elect whether to record all food intake or just measure intake of the controlled foods
  • Record their activity on a ‘Fit Log’ if they choose to use this tool – self reporting their activity levels to qualify for the range of awards

Hi lasttime! Everyone's advice has been fab so far, minimins have definately helped me over the last couple of years through different diets I have done. I too am doing slimming world, I think it's fantastic the choice of food and the amount we can eat and still lose weight. That brings me to my reason for replying. Please look at all the recipe threads on here, there is such a CHOICE that we can have, all totally delicious, so please make sure you vary your meals and have different things, your menu at the moment is looking a bit 'samey'. Can you get the SW magazine? Loads of recipes and menu ideas there too. I know that if I eat the same sort of things I'll get bored and......well it doesn't bear thinking about lol! Everyone on these threads are so blooming fantastic and supportive and helpful I couldn't do it without them, and I've made quite a few friends too through it.
Will be watching your diary with interest, I have one too if you'd like to take a peek? I'll try and put link up if I can figure out how to do it lolol xx

OO oo can someone tell me if that has worked please? lol x

OO oo can someone tell me if that has worked please? lol x
Hi there, thanks for the reply, scary stuff at first isnt it, i get so worried im doing it wrong so i keep writing my meals down on here hoping somebody will say when i slip up and have what i cannot have or dont have what i should!
I am definately going to go along to a class but going to check with doctor to see if i can get a referal so it will be free!
today so far i have had as follows.....
brekkie. 2 quorn sausages, 2 eggs fry light cooked. 2 tomatoes baked, half tin tesco value beans.

Lunch was sw bolognaise with sw chips Half plate full of chips to be exact! eeek....plus a shape zero yoghurt and a banana....

2 cups tea made with semi skimmed milk at 30 mls a time...

and now im waiting for somebody to say i can have something else lol because im not sure lol....

i really want to have an omelette made with eggs, the rest of the milk from my 250 mls? onions and tomatoes and maybe some low fat super noodles? can i have that too?

well you seem to be doing pretty well too so i shall read your thread and get hints and tips hopefully lol....
i know i can do this i really can!!!!
thanks again hun x:D

Well happy sunday people, i know i should not have jumped on the scales today but after them saying i slightly had gained yesterday i had to to check i am doing this plan right.....and i have just updated my stats....i am now 5lb down so far so a huge pat on the back for me and an even bigger pat you you guys for coaching me....and i shall be at the doctors tomorrow trying to get a referal to sw as im so dedicated...i am not going to let myself down on this and i think with the positives of losing my first 5lb i now can see that this way of eating works!!!! i made myself have my sins yesterday after being told i need to ensure i eat enough, so i ate 3 hob nobs i believe are 3 sins each, correct me if im wrong, anyway it worked lol eating three hob nobs instead of no hobnobs made me lose weight....how crazy is that lol but i guess it stopped my body going into starvation and so it burned happily away at my fat stores heehee...thanks peeps x
how are you all doing?

Hi guys, need some feedback on todays menu, i think im ok but can you tell me whats missing if anything or what i need to add???

brekkie
2 x quorn sausages baked
1 tomatoe baked
2 eggs in frylight
1/3 tin baked beans

1 cup tea with sweetner (splenda) 30mls semi skimmed milk(from 250mls he?)

lunch was my version of chilli

1/2 pack tesco root veggies for mashing(cubed potatoes,carrots and swede)
1 onion
1/2 pack quorn mince
1 bovril stock cube
1 tin tesco value chopped tomatoes
1/2 carton tesco passata (sieved tomatoes)
mild chilli powder
all free so far????

basmati brown tesco rice boiled (free?)
salt and vinegar to taste...
1 tbs fat free tesco light choices normandy fromage frais (free?) (on top of chilli) i know im weird!

plus eeeek....3 hobnob biscuits (not chocolate ones) 9 sins??????
1 shape zero yoghurt free?

and now i wonder if i i still have 2 healthy extra b's and 1 a left??

what about tesco diet coke???? is that allowed at all??? if so is it a sin or he?.....anybody???

Back