Newbie with a Mountain to Climb

Thank you for a lovely welcome Kate :D

My weigh in day is Monday (so looming up lol). The veg chopping takes for ever to be honest - especially as I prepare the following day's lunchtime salad at the same time. It's becoming part of my daily routine now though so it's not so much of a chore as it was the first few days ... and I figure it must be using some extra calories ;-) lol

no problem MollyMolly :)
That is a great way to think of it! Its all body magic anyway!

:D
Good luck on Monday, let us know how you get on.

Kate x

Hi Molly, how are you getting on? You looking forward to Monday?

I had my first weigh in today, lost 10 pounds :)

Happy Saturday xx

Hi Rae Rae ... Well done you! 10lb is amazing ... you should be really proud of yourself :gen126:

I had a rough weekend with personal stuff which is why I didn't update my food diaries but I'm really pleased with myself for sticking with the plan (my normal reaction would have been to eat myself into an emotionally protected stupor but I wasn't even tempted!) :D

WI last night and ... 5lb lost :character00100:

Hi Molly

Just came across your diary, your losses so far are brilliant. Well done!

Your meal plans are making me drool (and I don't even like fish!)

Best of luck with the rest of your journey.

CD

Thank you Coughdrops ... thankfully I love fish :D lol ... watch out for some more exotic fish dishes next week ;) ... my eldest daughter manages a fish restaurant so she's going to bring me a yummy parcel of mixed fish and seafood when she comes down for her niece's birthday on Monday.

I think I might try a paella style dish : Loads of superfree veg, a couple of rashers of lean smoked bacon, passata, squid, prawns, crevettes, mussels, crab, lobster, saffron and a little rice. I'm not one for following recipes lol - I just kind of throw it all in a pot (as long as it's free and the superfree:free ration is about 50:50) and add stuff until it tastes good. Think I may have to invite some friends round though as I doubt it will freeze well.

How was the Fanta Chicken?

Well done on your 5lbs Molly :)

Last edited:
Hi hun, Wow you have done sooooooo well with your weightloss, I am liking the sound of the paella too :) yummy. Hope you have had a good day.

xxx

I made the Fanta Chicken into a kind of sweet and sour by adding root ginger and vinegar ... VERY yummy! Paella is tonight (can't wait to get home and start cooking it) so I'll keep you posted and post the recipe if it's a success.

My daughter also bought me a sea bass which I've decided I'm going to stuff with a lemon wedge and some rosemary and then roast it en papiotte with the lemon zest, sea salt and a little water. Then I'll serve it on a bed of braised fennel and savoy cabbage.

It's funny but I'm really enjoying getting creative with food again (I used to cook a lot but stopped bothering when the children turned into 'never there' teenagers) and I was saying to my husband last night that I'm enjoying the food far, far more than I ever actually enjoyed the ready meals and junk that I was eating before SW.

WI was Monday ... another 5lb lost :D

Well done Molly for another 5lbs. Have been away to grandkids and messed up.

I've only just discovered the subscribed threads tag ... I thought I'd lost this thread forever! lol

Lost another 3.5lb this week and got my 2 1/2 stone certificate. Another 6lbs to go for my 3 stone which is my next mini goal.

The Grandies are a definite source of temptation Doreen! Mine only live next door but one and pop in all the time, so I have to keep treats in for them. Most of the time I can tuck them at the back of a cupboard and forget about them (the treats, not the Littles ;-) ) but dishing them out without snaffling a cookie or two takes some serious willpower!

Hi molly
Just popping in to subscribe. You are doing amazingly well. Also your food is making me drool. Will have to try out some of these recipes. Gorgeous xx

Morning Molly, just popped in to say you're doing fab!!! I had my first ever wi today and lost 5lbs, really can't believe it after all I've eaten this week!!!

I shall also be subscribing as I too love to try new recipes and cook again after doing silly fad diets!

Jo x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have so many pre prepared meals in my freezer that I've actually had to stop cooking in order to try and thin them out a bit (pun intended) ... believe it or not I'm now getting veg chopping withdrawal so, freezer space or not, I'm going to cook up a storm at the weekend :)

I've just picked up a lovely looking recipe for chicken curry ... my own herbs/spices range isn't enormous (and I'm not about to add to it because my eldest daughter is buying me a comprehensive set for Christmas) so I'm going to go on a spice raid at my younger daughter's and get curried up :D Hopefully it will warm me up a bit! I'm really suffering from the cold already and NOT looking forward to another 5 months of this weather. Here it is:

2 chicken breasts, 2 large onions, salt & pepper, 2 large carrots (grated), 1 pack French green beans (cut into 1" pieces), 2 leeks (sliced), mushrooms, red, yellow and green peppers (cut into chunks), some grated root ginger, 2 garlic cloves crushed , 1 tbls med curry powder, 1 tsp of each of: ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cinnamon and paprika. 1/2tsp crushed cardamom seeds and 1/4tsp each of ground cloves and turmeric, then 1 chopped tomatoes, 400ml chicken stock.

Spray pan with frylight, cook the vegetables for a few mins then add all the spices, cook 2 mins, add the chicken, seal that then add toms and stock. Cook about 40 mins till chicken is cooked then leave all day to develop the flavour. Reheat to piping hot and serve with rice/jacket potato and a side salad :)

I have a lime and dark chocolate chilli recipe that I'm dying to try too, so I might whip up a batch of that as well and let you know how it works out :)

I'm also going to try a SW friendly bubble & squeak tomorrow - Mediterranean roast veggies (leek, onion, crushed garlic, mixed peppers and rosemary sprayed with frylight and roasted in hot oven for 40 mins) then chopped and mixed with Carrot & swede mash and pre-cooked (cold) cabbage. Season well, spray a 6" cake tin with frylight, fill tin with mixture, sprinkle with 1 tbsp parmesan cheese (2 syns) and bake in a hot oven until golden on top (I hope lol - this is an experiment after all ;) ) I'm going to serve it with poached salmon fillet I think ... mainly superfree, no starchy carbs (which are my nemesis) AND fish! Hopefully it'll be a winner :D

That curry sounds delicious Molly. Have made a note of it and hopefully have a go soon.

Well the 'Bubble & Squeak' was absolutely delicious and because it was all superfree I had a HUGE portion which was wonderfully warming (especially as my central heating had packed up so I was freezing cold and miserable) :D I can thoroughly recommend it as honest to goodness comfort food!

The cold weather really is making me crave bigger portions of hot food though, so even though my one pot meals are crammed full of superfree (about 70/80%) I was a bit anxious about WI this week. It felt like I had been eating too much, even though I had stuck to plan, so I was very pleasantly surprised at group last night to find I'd lost 4lbs - YAY!!

Another 2lbs to go for my 3 stone and 5lbs to get into the next stone zone ... I'm feeling very positive and motivated today :D

We had a taster session at group last night too and we tried some gorgeous soups (I'm really getting tempted by one of those all in one soup makers now but wonder if it would just end up in the kitchen gadget graveyard on top of my cupboards?). I made a lovely (free) smoked salmon mousse ... a pack of smoked salmon trimmings with 2/3 of a tub of quark and some black pepper and lemon juice. It works as a dip with superfree crudites but would also be good piped onto thick cucumber slices (or layered cucumber and egg slice) as a canape - perfect for Xmas buffets (and non SW members would never know it was plan friendly :) )

I have 2 SW friends coming to dinner tomorrow so I'm going to try macaroni cheese from the 'one pot wonders' cookbook (borrowed from one of said friends) ... obviously (as I'm incapable of simply following a recipe!) I'm going to add a twist in the form of leeks and mushrooms. It's not a recipe that looks like it will freeze well so inviting friends to dinner seemed like a good way of trying it out without having to eat it for the rest of the week myself ;)

Subscribing :) Well done on the amazing weight loss :D You're doing so well
Your food sounds delicious, really like the sound of the bubble and squeak! My mum got me a soup maker for my birthday months ago and I have used it loads, I love it! It makes blended soup in 21 mins or chunky in 28. All you need to do is chop the veg up. I actually made vegetable soup the normal way last night and completely forgot about it on the cooker. Lucky I was reading a book that mentioned soup lol. It reminded me it was still on so ran out and thankfully it was alright, just needed to add more water!

Maybe I should add one to my Christmas list then ... it's the having to watch over it that always puts me off making soup (I'm a really 'hovvery' cook so just leaving it to do it's own thing is no good - I have to be poking, prodding and fiddling with stuff in saucepans lol )... well that and the washing up ;-) How easy is it to clean? :)

Back