Newbie with lots of questions!!

littlemiss

Silver Member
Hey everyone!

I hope you don't mind me coming over here!?

I lost over 5 and a half stone a couple of years back through calorie counting. I had another baby and put all but 1 back on. My heaviest was 15.2 and my Lowest was 9.5. Last winter I pulled myself back together after many dramas finished my maternity leave and went back to work full time. I weighed in at 14.11, almost at my heaviest ever. Since then I've lost bits and pieces here and there and put them back on.

I've wanted to do 5:2 for ages but if i'm being totally honest I thought it would be a lot of hassle, see, my issue is time, I need something easy, that doesn't involve extra shopping/money/a lot of thought. I get put off easily if there are too many rules ect. need something really easy. I am willing to put in the hard work though. So tell me, is this diet for me? Infact I also want a life change as I truly believe you can do this for a long time, or for extended periods.

So, before I make my decision....would anyone mind answering some questions

- Does it really matter how many cals I have on down and up days, for example I want something simple like 1200 on up days and 500 on down days, I am used to eating 1200 cals so that's like my average (ive managed to lose 7lbs in the last 4 weeks healthy eating and eating approx. 1200 but not calculating cals)

- I thought I read somewhere that.....on down days you can only eat twice a day? Why is that, and would there be a big impact if the cals were spread instead?

Thanks guys

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I hope you don't mind me coming over here!?

Not at all - you're more than welcome!

- Does it really matter how many cals I have on down and up days, for example I want something simple like 1200 on up days and 500 on down days, I am used to eating 1200 cals so that's like my average (ive managed to lose 7lbs in the last 4 weeks healthy eating and eating approx. 1200 but not calculating cals)

- I thought I read somewhere that.....on down days you can only eat twice a day? Why is that, and would there be a big impact if the cals were spread instead?

xxxxxxxxx

I'm no expert, I am happy to share what's worked for me over the past 5 months....

If you're used to counting calories the odd cheeseburger may come as a shock. I don't count on eat days, but I do know which foods are bad - for me it's avoiding too much fat. I really enjoy a little bit of toast with my butter......

The beauty of the 5:2 is not counting on the Eat days - so throw away the counter. Just don't go mad.

As for eating twice a day.... I've heard that the longer the fast the better. Dr MM seems to have Breakfast and Dinner only on fast days. I save all mine, save some skimmed milk in Tea, for and end of day meal.

If you did choose to eat more than twice a day, you would really need to worry about the content of each meal. Better to have two filling meals of 250 calories than smaller snacks which don't fill.

My advice: You wanted something without too much effort. Just have breakfast and dinner, skipping lunch. There - no lunch to worry about, so no issues!

I work full time and have 3 young children so I understand the need for hassle free. It's worth working out your daily calorie needs - the idea is to not count on eat days but I'm keeping a watch as on week 2 I over ate - just rebelling I think! I skip breakfast and lunch and have 375 calories for a main meal (I'm short so it's 1550 eat and 375 fast). In pick days I'm busy so fasting is ok. I like it so far!

Hiya, there's no hard and fast rules with 5:2, I do two set days fasting a week, where I don't eat for 24 hrs (say 7pm night before until 7pm fast day) but I do use some of my cals for milk in coffee, then allow 400 for food.

I do track my up days, I don't "need" to but I prefer it, I use MFP and just track as I go on my phone, some up days I have 1200 cals, others I have 2000, I don't worry too much but the average over the week (inc fast days) is about 1200 per day and that seems to work for me.

I have two young kids too and work long hours so quick fast teas are important for me too, omelettes are a firm favourite, or mayflower curry sauce with veg, yum

I also think you nee to eat more than 1200kcals on an ud. You need a big swing/difference in calories from your DD. Have at least 1700. I have about 2000, more sometime and am losing loads. Good luck.

Hey everyone!!

I cant thank you all enough for your replies...it does help alot. And makes perfect sense.

Is there a website where I can work out what cals I should be eating on down days, or something that could give me a better guideline what I should eat on down and up days going by my weight/height. I did look at the JUDDD website, but i'm not sure if that calculation is just for up day down day. Not sure if it works the same way for 5:2

Ok, a couple more questions......

- Can I do 5:3 to lose more weight, or would that just be the same as JUDDD?? (having 3 down days a week rather than 2)

- Im currently eating 1200 a day and feel stuffed alot, dont know if I could increase that, and surely if I went from 1200 to 1700 (on up days) it would mean I weighed more??!!

I dont eat a breakfast just now, at the moment. I'd say out of lunch and dinner i'm equally as hungry for both meals, I dont think I could survive all day in work without anything and wait until dinner....I wake up at 6am for work so its a long day when you need to wait til 6ish to eat (when we normally eat as a family) i'd like to have something small for lunch and save majority for dinner (you can get nice micro meals for 350 cals)

Today was supposed to be a down day for me, but I was unprepared. I really think preparing is the key. Because I really would have done it today, had I been prepared.

How much weight has everyone lost so far on this?

:)

Hey everyone!!

I cant thank you all enough for your replies...it does help alot. And makes perfect sense.

You're welcome - my thoughts below in bold

Is there a website where I can work out what cals I should be eating on down days, or something that could give me a better guideline what I should eat on down and up days going by my weight/height. I did look at the JUDDD website, but i'm not sure if that calculation is just for up day down day. Not sure if it works the same way for 5:2

The book says to eat normally - I would guess that if you have the normal daily calories for your weight/height, you'll be fine. The key is to eat sensibly on the Eat days, not to overindulge too much.

Ok, a couple more questions......

- Can I do 5:3 to lose more weight, or would that just be the same as JUDDD?? (having 3 down days a week rather than 2)

You can do 5:3 if you squeeze another day in the week ;) There are some doing 4:3, me on occaisions. I have read on another 5:2 site, can't recall which, that the difference in loss was not that great. However, this week I'm aiming for fasts on Mon/Wed/Fri as my weight loss has slowed a little and I feel I need a little kick.

- Im currently eating 1200 a day and feel stuffed alot, dont know if I could increase that, and surely if I went from 1200 to 1700 (on up days) it would mean I weighed more??!!

I would be careful of both counting calories/having a restricted calorie diet and fasting. For me, it's one or the other. Otherwise you could be looking at a very low calorie intake overall during the week - not to be done without medical supervision.

I dont eat a breakfast just now, at the moment. I'd say out of lunch and dinner i'm equally as hungry for both meals, I dont think I could survive all day in work without anything and wait until dinner....I wake up at 6am for work so its a long day when you need to wait til 6ish to eat (when we normally eat as a family) i'd like to have something small for lunch and save majority for dinner (you can get nice micro meals for 350 cals)

If you're happy skipping breakfast and having two meals in the day - go for it. The only thing to worry about is the scales once per week. Wieght loss = good, consistent weight gain, not so good. Find another plan.

Today was supposed to be a down day for me, but I was unprepared. I really think preparing is the key. Because I really would have done it today, had I been prepared.

How do you mean prepared? Mentally or Kitchenwise? Don't worry about the food - you seem to be well versed in calorie counting. Mentally - make a promise to yourself that you'll give it a go, set the dates for the week in advance and use some positive mental imagery. Picture yourself at the end of each fast day, going to bed having completed the fast feeling happy and healthy. Picture yourself on the scales at the end of the week with a loss!

How much weight has everyone lost so far on this?

​17Kg since January.

Back