newbie with magazine recipe confusion

sparkle83

Hi :) rejoining on Tues after a few years, always did green but curious about EE. In the fish&chips recipe in this months mag it shows peas but doesn't mention side salad. I didn't think peas could count as 1/3 ?

You're right - peas aren't superfree because you have to syn them or use a HEXB on Red days. I think SW say that if there *is* a HEX in the meal somewhere then it sort of provides its own portion control so the 1/3rd rule isn't quite so vital for that meal - did they use a HEX of breadcrumbs as coating for the fish? (Sorry, haven't got magazine to hand right now!).

I think they also say that sometimes it just doesn't *fit* to have 1/3rd superfree with every meal but you can have maybe a superfree soup as a starter (so you don't eat so much free food) or think about the 1/3rd rule averaged out during the day - so if you had another meal that 2/3rds superfree on the same day it would all even out in the end.

1.5 syns and uses white bread for breadcrumbs

That day's meal is pretty skimpy on the old SF :( - chopped spring onions with lunch and passata & puree in the ketchup with the fish. I can't see either actually constituting 1/3 or either meal!

Breakfast is the only meal with a decent amount of SF.

It's very confusing to newbies!

Hi :) rejoining on Tues after a few years, always did green but curious about EE. In the fish&chips recipe in this months mag it shows peas but doesn't mention side salad. I didn't think peas could count as 1/3 ?

They are not superfree but then the third superfree is only a recommendation and there will be some meals where you perhaps don't want to have any superfree :)

Back