Extra Easy Newbies

Nonna_edmo

Hi everyone

Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. I joined way back in 2009 and the forum looks so different on my iPad compared to back then. ? My husband and I are starting online SW tomorrow and I shall be doing my online shop of healthy goodies tonight. I'm just looking for a bit of advice. We are starting extra easy. I have around 2.5 stone to loose and my husband 4.5.

What does everyone tend to use as their healthy extras? I'm going to order some alpen bars they seem popular!
What is everyone's favourite use of syns? So I can order the good stuff ?
Can you save suns for a weekend or are you supposed to have them each day and just have a flexy day if needed?

Also I'm a big drinker (wine ?) how has everyone found ways to curb their craving or enabled themselves to have a tipple at the weekend?

Thanks everyone, your help is much appreciated!! ?

I almost always end up using my HeB and most of my HeA on porridge & milk for breakfast and then copious amounts of tea/coffee throughout the day. I always find the HeB situation difficult.

For your syns, it depends what you like! I tend to use mine on additions to my meals like cheese and/or bread rolls (assuming I've already had my healthy extras in the morning). For treats I might buy some sweets to keep near my desk at work or wine! My top tip with wine is make sure you're accurately measuring your glasses. I had myself convinced I was pouring a 175ml glass but it was 250ml!

Also, make sure you keep a food log and don't cheat! It'll help you see what works for you and what doesn't. Good luck to you both :D

I almost always end up using my HeB and most of my HeA on porridge & milk for breakfast and then copious amounts of tea/coffee throughout the day. I always find the HeB situation difficult.

Could you not substitute the milk for a mullerlight & make the overnight oats? Its so yummy and then you can have your HeA for cheese

Could you not substitute the milk for a mullerlight & make the overnight oats? Its so yummy and then you can have your HeA for cheese

I tried it and I don't know if it went horribly wrong but it tasted horrible. I couldn't understand why people rave about it!

I usually have my HeB's as;

35g porridge oats
2 x wholemeal small loaf slices (so I can have a sandwich)
2 x Hifi Bars
3 x Ryvita (black pepper)

My HeA choice is rarely milk (I don't drink hot drinks etc & rarely have porridge but if i do its skimmed milk) - its usually;

Feta
Reduced Cheddar
Parmesan
Cheese Spread (Philli or Primula)

Syns are usually;

sauces (mayo, gravy, ketchup)
yorkshire puddings (I buy the ready done ones you just have to warm up (2.5syns each)
crisps (french fries, baked, snack a jacks, quavers are low syns)
wine

With wine I tend to have really minimal syns for a few days then a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend for a treat - but I do find I am just really cutting back on alcohol (unless I have a big blowout then i have a lot!)

I tried it and I don't know if it went horribly wrong but it tasted horrible. I couldn't understand why people rave about it!

How did you do it?

I just add vanilla mullerlight to 35g porridge oats the night before so it has time to soak in and add frozen raspberries and strawberries (or fresh if I have them) & fresh apple.

Other people use different flavours but I think the vanilla is the best and tastes most like porridge

How did you do it?

I just add vanilla mullerlight to 35g porridge oats the night before so it has time to soak in and add frozen raspberries and strawberries (or fresh if I have them) & fresh apple.

Other people use different flavours but I think the vanilla is the best and tastes most like porridge

I just did exactly that. It tasted like cold soggy oats in yoghurt and not like porridge! But then I suppose porridge is technically just warm soggy oats in milk....Perhaps it's just not for me!

I just did exactly that. It tasted like cold soggy oats in yoghurt and not like porridge! But then I suppose porridge is technically just warm soggy oats in milk....Perhaps it's just not for me!
Haha fair enough! I quite like them cold but I suppose you could warm them up?

Thanks both really helpful stuff. It will take us a while to get into the swing of it. I'll give overnight oats a go too! ?

Hi Donna, welcome back :)

For HEA I usually have milk or cheese, and for HEB it's bread or Alpen bars, occasionally cashew nuts or olive oil.

I use some syns on butter and sugar as I hate sweetener and margerine, I would rather have a little butter/sugar than a lot of sweetener/margerine! I don't use too many in my cooking generally, gravy occasionally perhaps. I'm more likely to use them for treats; some chocolate, a couple of biscuits, an options hot choc with squirty cream on top :) I tend to go for sweet over savoury.

I consider my syns a weekly total rather than a daily one. I eat out usually at least once and often twice a week so if I didn't do that I'd struggle! It has always worked for me :) If I average 10-12 a day over the week I know that works. Too many less and I stop losing.

I'm also a BIG red wine drinker! I have swapped though to gin and slimline tonic (with cucumber and black pepper is my current favourite!) for the most part and save the red for special occasions as it's high in syns. If I do hit the red I make sure I've got enough syns saved up for a bottle, as I can never stop at one glass haha :D

Hi Donna, welcome back :) For HEA I usually have milk or cheese, and for HEB it's bread or Alpen bars, occasionally cashew nuts or olive oil. I use some syns on butter and sugar as I hate sweetener and margerine, I would rather have a little butter/sugar than a lot of sweetener/margerine! I don't use too many in my cooking generally, gravy occasionally perhaps. I'm more likely to use them for treats; some chocolate, a couple of biscuits, an options hot choc with squirty cream on top :) I tend to go for sweet over savoury. I consider my syns a weekly total rather than a daily one. I eat out usually at least once and often twice a week so if I didn't do that I'd struggle! It has always worked for me :) If I average 10-12 a day over the week I know that works. Too many less and I stop losing. I'm also a BIG red wine drinker! I have swapped though to gin and slimline tonic (with cucumber and black pepper is my current favourite!) for the most part and save the red for special occasions as it's high in syns. If I do hit the red I make sure I've got enough syns saved up for a bottle, as I can never stop at one glass haha :D

Glad I'm not the only one who can't resist the whole bottle!! I think I may do just that and less syns in the week so I can have a drink at the weekend. ? thanks!!

I'm like flashharry and count my syns as a weekly total. Because I tend to have a bottle of wine at the weekend, I usually remove that from my syns during the week (instead of 105, I'll have 75 to play with) so it works out around 10 a day, which is plenty :) and I don't always use them all.
My syns usually get used on sauces, or small chocolate treats (freddo's, milky bar buttons, etc.)

My hexa is always cheese (I dont drink tea/coffe and don't have cereal) and it's either cheddar or feta, and occassionally parmesan. My hexb is usually hifi bars. I'm not a huge fan of wholemeal bread, and generally don't have Ryvita, Scanbran etc. although sometimes I'll use both hexa and hexb on porridge.

Hi Donna! I just started last week so I'm a newbie too. I use my HeA on milk as I'm a tea addict! I usually use my HeB on 2 Alpen Light bars and have one for breakfast with a banana, and save the other one for an afternoon snack. The cherry bakewell ones are yummy!

I occasionally use my syns on sauces, but I generally save them for a gin and tonic (3 syns for a single with diet tonic), a Curly Wurly (6 syns), or a pack of Walkers French Fries (4 syns).

I too find it very difficult to stop at one glass of wine! Like others I count my syns weekly - I have very few syns during the week. Knowing I could have a bottle of wine on a Friday night was one of the things that enabled me to stay on plan the rest of the week.

Hi, I am new to this website and hope you don't mind me stepping in. (Trying to work my way around here). I have a question - How many syns should I be having in a day? My consultant has told me I must have 15 syns per day, but to be honest, I am really struggling to reach this on some days (I don't have a sweet tooth). Also, I explained to her before she told me this, that I have a tolerance towards dairy. I can eat dairy in moderation, but the amount I am expected to have every day is way over what I am used to. I came out in a rash and a cold and asked her for advice as I can no longer eat this amount. Her reply was, your not going to lose any weight then! I am now considering cancelling my subscription. I no longer go to group as I feel really discouraged, and my consultant don't advise on meal plans and recipes. I feel I am paying for someone to tell me how much I weigh and how much everyone else has lost/gained/maintained. I think if I was to reduce my syns I may lose more than half a lb a week. Would this be possible? Or do I have to stick to 15 syns until I get to my club 10? Many thanks, your input is much appreciated.

Hi, I am new to this website and hope you don't mind me stepping in. (Trying to work my way around here). I have a question - How many syns should I be having in a day? My consultant has told me I must have 15 syns per day, but to be honest, I am really struggling to reach this on some days (I don't have a sweet tooth). Also, I explained to her before she told me this, that I have a tolerance towards dairy. I can eat dairy in moderation, but the amount I am expected to have every day is way over what I am used to. I came out in a rash and a cold and asked her for advice as I can no longer eat this amount. Her reply was, your not going to lose any weight then! I am now considering cancelling my subscription. I no longer go to group as I feel really discouraged, and my consultant don't advise on meal plans and recipes. I feel I am paying for someone to tell me how much I weigh and how much everyone else has lost/gained/maintained. I think if I was to reduce my syns I may lose more than half a lb a week. Would this be possible? Or do I have to stick to 15 syns until I get to my club 10? Many thanks, your input is much appreciated.

Welcome! :welcome:

SW recommend you have between 5-15 a day, so no, you absolutely do not have to use the full 15 a day. They advise that you use at least 5 mostly so you don't feel like you're depriving yourself from anything that isn't free. Alot of people treat themselves to a small amount of chocolate, or sauces with meals (gravy, mayo, tomato sauce, etc.) So please don't feel like you're being forced to use them all :):)
Personally, I use around 10 a day and that can be for anything, but I usually like a drink (or two ;) ) at the weekend so I use some of my syns there... otherwise they tend to go on chocolate, the occasional bag of crisps, but mostly involved in meals :)

As for the dairy intolerance, again, they recommend you have calcium each day, but if you can't use it all because it makes you ill, just have what you can have... could you change to something else like soya milk or Almond milk?
I can't see why you shouldn't still lose the weight, I know of people who don't always use their full allowance but they will still lose weight...

Rather than leaving completely, have you looked into which other groups you may be able to go to? Maybe a change in consultant would be benificial...??

Its anywhere between 5-15 syns a day. So 15 is the top end. Eat as many or as little syns as you can manage but try not to go over 15 syns.

In regards to cheese/milk - I think you just need it for the calcium so just have as much as you can cope with. You will still see losses if you stick to the plan 100% - I forget to have cheese some days as I don't drink milk and I have lost 2st 2lb. I also don't have 15syns a day (some days I have no syns, little amount of syns, sometimes i go over!)

Your consultant doesn't sound too helpful -this forum is great for advice though so feel free to ask anything anytime and good luck with your journey!

Thank you to you both for your advice. I was having about 8/12 syns per day and was losing on average 1 and a half pounds a week, but my consultant told me to increase to 15 syns per day until I reach my club10. I am going to reduce them back down to 8/12 and see what happens. I have a vitamin d deficiency due to medication I am on, so I have a vitamin d with calcium tablet every day, so I know I am getting my daily calcium allowance. I also can't eat soya as they interfere with my medication. My consultant is very negective and I am currently looking for another group to go to. Thanks for the advice. This website is extremely useful, encouraging and supportive. I feel more positive. Guess I will be staying around for a while. Thanks again.

Back