NHS facing Diabetes overload.

Lets hope the medical profession sit up and take notice. Doctors should be routinely testing anyone with a BMI over 30, and then they need to urgently review the dietary advice being dished out.

I know it might upset some to be subjected to a diabetes test just because they are overweight, but face facts, its being overweight that puts you at significant risk, and the test is so simple and quick. Diabetes can be a life threatening condition, that can cause untold damage to vital organs before it is detected. I was showing signs for years before mine was diagnosed, if my doctor had been a little more proactive then I would have been diagnosed and treated much sooner. Albeit with out of date dietary advice, but thats another gripe.....

It makes me want to cry Leanne, its not like its a well kept secret that a low carb diet lowers blood sugars, but anyone newly diagnosed and having this sort of crap dished out to them is going to end up confused at best and seriously ill at worst.

I would have had no info about carbs if it wasn't for Claire-bear and Lynn. My doctors attitude was eat healthily; lots of jacket potatoes, baked beans, new potatoes, bean stews...... but not too much fruit!

Makes you wonder.

Exactly, why aren't they listening to the people with the real evidence; diabetics who have learned for themselves what they can and cannot eat.

I am still shocked by my Gp's response to self testing - she insisted there is no merit or need for it! Really, well why not? Surely we are trying our best to look after ourselves and should be encouraged not belittled(which is how I felt).

I don't think she'd like that Leanne! You made me chuckle envisaging it though!

Back