Nic's Slim for Next Summer diary

Nickinoonoo

Right! Starting a diary to make sure I stay on track. I've got nearly 5 stone to lose so could be a long journey!

Plan: Green

Skimmed milk for tea (hexa)
Early morning: Apple, banana

Brunch:
Egg fried in fry light, 2x slice wholemeal bread from 400g loaf (hexb), 2 tsp brown sauce (1 syn)

Dinner:
Roast loin of pork (hexb), (roasted potatoes, butternut squash and parsnips in olive oil (6 syns), wholegrain mustard sauce (made with ff fromage frais, stock, worcestershire sauce, wholegrain mustard, mustard powder, 1 tbsp cornflour) (2 syns for my portion)

Also making a mississippi mud pie and zesty lemon cheesecake (delicious desserts recipe book) for us all as puddings over the week - both 5.5 syns per serving. Probably have a slice!

Updated: Desserts took ages to make but worth it. I had zesty lemon cheesecake (5.5 syns) which was lovely, mum tried both and preferred lemon so I had a tiny taste of OH one and must say prefer the lemon one. The mississippi mud pie was ok but had a definite taste of cocoa powder, although cook properly! Will still eat it but wouldn't go out of my way to make it again. For the syns I would rather have a mini sized dairy milk bar.

Will try to take pic of desserts later.

Snacks:
1 digestive biscuit (3.5 syns), banana, apple, plum

Total = 18 syns (whoops that added up!)
Should have continued with syn/hex free brunch I had planned then the olive oil wouldn't have counted.

Lesson learnt: Stick to your original plan! Don't deviate without checking impact on syns!

Last edited:
Planning for Monday

Plan: Extra Easy
Skimmed milk (hexa) for drinks

Breakfast: Mushroom omlette, tinned tomatoes (free)

Lunch: Sliced ham, jacket potato, beans, side salad (free)

Dinner: Everyday rich spaghetti bolognese (free) from Oct mag, side salad, zesty lemon cheesecake (5.5 syns)

Snacks: 2x Alpen light double choc (hexb), rhubarb mullerlight (free)

Total syns: 5.5

Update: Followed this plan, except didn't need lunch as had breakfast too late. Took my toddler to an early club so had a banana, plum to keep me going and had breakfast about 11.30. So waited to dinner.

Made the bolognese almost exactly to the recipe in the mag. Except didn't have any smoked bacon so left it out. When I tasted it after it had been simmering for a while I did add some balsamic vinegar to give it an edge (white one as it was what happened to be in my cupboard) and also some worcestershire sauce. Was delish! Will do this again.

Had the zesty lemon cheesecake I made on Sunday again. Still nice but base was a little soggy - I don't like soggy biscuits so will probably not put the base in when I make it again (which I will as it's really nice!) and just sprinkle 10th of the whizzed gingernuts on top.

As I hadn't used an extra syns during the day I also treated myself to a Dairy Milk 'Little bars' (6.5 syns)

Total syns = 12

Last edited:
Tuesday Planning

Plan: Red
skimmed milk (hexa1)

Breakfast: Honey nut shredded wheat (hexb1), milk from allowance, rhubarb mullerlight (free)

Lunch: Ham, salad, syn free coleslaw

Dinner: Peppered mackerel, celeriac chips, brocolli

Snack: 2x Alpen light bars (Hexb2), banana, apple, nectarine

Update: Pretty much stuck to this, had to change my Hexb2 from houmous to alpen bars as realised that houmous isn't a hex on red days.

Also had a dessert from Sunday (lemon cheesecake 5.5 syns) and half pack hula hoops (? syns).

Last edited:
Wednesday planning
Plan:

Breakfast:
Lunch:
Dinner:

Total syns:

Update:
The problem was no plan!

The day is ok so far - albeit I'm hungry as I've been careful as I had no idea what to eat as I hadn't thought about it properly... as such a takeaway in on order!

It turned out to be a green day.
Skimmed milk throughout day (Hexa1)

Breakfast: banana, apple, Alpen bar (half Hexb1)

Crazy morning tidy and trying to look after toddler, ready for a viewing on our house which is on the market (hense poorly thought out day!) Then rush to my mums without any lunch organised - she live one street back from seafront so was worried I'd surcome to a portion of chips. Luckily my mum had a batchelor pasta in broccoli and cheese sauce (free), thus it became a green day.
Snacks: alpen bar (other half hexb1), 4 tooty fruities!!! (2 syns?), leftover SW bolognese from toddlers plate!!! (3 syns???)

Now in the evening unfortunately I suggest a takeaway chinese, tried to choose good things...

Update agin!:
Did well with the chinese had stir fried 5 spiced tofu with peppers and bean sprout chow mein (guessing 8 syns for oil and stuff not free!)

Total syns: 13 syns (estimated)

Last edited:
Thursday planning:

Plan: Green/Extra easy

Skimmed milk: throughout day (hexa1)

Breakfast: yogurt, fruit

Lunch: at friends house????

Dinner: butternut squash risotto made with 4 syns worth of white wine - I had less than a quarter so still will count 1 syn, side salad

Update:

Did ok today and everything went to plan, only had fruit for breakfast (grapes, apple) so no yoghurt.
Went to my friends straight after school run so had a coffee morning instead of lunch. Everyone brought cakes though and had a couple of wavering moments, especially when my toddler didn't eat all of his cake (felt bad putting it in the bin) but managed to leave after having just 3 coffees (lol, must have been compensating for lack of cake eating). Didn't have any sweetners to have to count 3 tsp sugar (3 syns).

Little one was getting tired so had to rush to waitrose to give him lunch before he fell asleep. It was a prepacked tuna sandwich he fell asleep with a quarter left... I ate it :( (5 syns?)

Total syns: 13 syns

Last edited:
Friday Planning

Plan: Red day

Skimmed milk throughout the day (Hexa1)

Breakfast: 28g Honey nut shredded wheat (Hexb1), nectarine

Lunch: Roast chicken salad

Dinner: Parmesan crusted chicken burgers(hexa2 for parmesan, hexb2 for breadcrumb), roast veg and spinach.

For desert meringue nests, strawberries, squirty cream light (165ml serving 3 syns)

Update:
Nearly went to plan. In the morning friends asked me to go for coffee and I surcomed again! Bought my son an almond croissant in Cafe Nero which he didn't want - had a few bites then nicked the fruit salad I bought! I have to count this is pure indulgent syns. I have no Cafe Nero lists but am putting it at 20 and counting 15 syns as had about three quarters (gonna be a little bit phychologically sneaky there!).

Dinner was actually SW KFC style chicken using 2 slices wholemeal from small loaf (Hexb2)and various spices, which was lovely but maybe a little to much pepper, with salad. Didn't have any treats due to my synful croissant so had a mullerlight to finish.

Total = 15 syns (give or take!)

Last edited:
Saturday

Couldn't really have a plan as we were going to visit OH sister and then on to my dad's.

I thought it best to opt for extra easy day. It wasn't dreadful food-wise but could have been better:

Breakfast:
Banana, grapes

Lunch:
Chicken roll (made with a small piece of French stick x syns, sliced chicken and salad leaves), milky coffee ( hexa)

Birthday cake slice - felt mean refusing so asked for v small slice (x syns) :(

Dinner:
Chicken and pepper spicy chicken with savoury rice. Did refuse garlic bread :)

Evening: 2 glasses Rose wine (x syns)

Sunday

Plan: green

Breakfast: scrambled egg, beans small slice White bread (6 syns), 1 tsp butter (2 syns)

Snack: banana, mango

Lunch: butternut squash risotto (allow 2 syns), rhubarb mullerlight

Dinner: gammon (hexb1), sw chips, peas

Snack: 2 Alpen bars (hexb2)

Total: 10 syns

Update:
Feel pleased with my day as was travelling and thought it would be worse!

Last edited:
Monday Planning

Plan: Extra Easy

Semi skimmed milk for day (hexa)

Breakfast: Mullerlight

Lunch: Salmon steak, jacket potato, salad

Dinner: Creamy Chicken Curry (recipe from magasine), rice, onion salad, mint sauce (made with ff yoghurt, mint sauce, sweetener, turmeric), 'poppodom' (made from wholemeal pitta (hexb)

Update: Didn't bother with the poppodom or onion salad so chucked some roasted butternut squash in the curry to up the veg content. Otherwise I faithfully copied the recipe from the most recent (october) magazine and it was DELICIOUS! Also made a vegetable pilaf (curried rice) from an old maazine with carrot, cauliflower, onion and mushrooms to make sure I'm getting my dose of veg! I'd make this again as a stand alone dish for lunch. Snack at end of day 2x Alpen Lights (HexB).

Last edited:
Tuesday planning

Skimmed milk for day (Hexa1)

Breakfast: apple walking to school!

Lunch: egg, SW chips, mushrooms and beans. Followed by yoghurt.

Dinner: Tuna pasta bake (tuna heb1) made with syn free tomato sauce and 28g olives (1.5 syns) topped with hea2 cheddar (28g).

Update: All went to plan today tuna pasta bake was filling - I tried putting pasta in uncooked and didn't like it as much as if I cook it to just before al dente then put in oven with sauce.
Snacks: Dairy Milk little bar - 5.5 syns, Mullerlight Cherry, about 5 prawn cracker crisps (didn't even like them as had gone a bit stale!) - I dunno maybe 3 syns?

Total = 10 syns

Last edited:
Wednesday Planning

Plan - Red/Extra Easy

Skimmed milk throughout day (Hexa1)

Breakfast - Banana

Know I'm going into town to meet my mum so going to go to a lovely deli that does some great salads where you can choose what you want like a pick and mix - loads of free foods there!

Lunch - Chicken salad (about 1 tbsp of sweetcorn as didn't know it was going to be a red day - 1 syn?)

Dinner - Pork Stir Fry made with lots of veggies and 5 spice powder, ginger, garlic, soy sauce (light and dark), rice wine vinegar and then 1 tbsp oyster sauce (2 syns?)and 1 tbsp sweet chilli (3 syns) shared between two = 2.5 per portion

Snacks - 1x Alpen light bar (half Hexb1)

Total= x syns

Update: Turned out to be a red day - that way I got some extra HEx's. Luckily because some leftover baked beans from little ones lunch and a slice of white toast slipped into my mouth - I really must leave their left overs! Because at their dinner the equivalent of 3 chicken nuggets also floated into my mouth!!! Hexb2 for bread, 4 syns for beans and 2 syns for butter, 3.5 syns for dippers! Lesson learnt!

Later - before adding this up I had a curly wurly as thought I had enough syns = 6 syns

Total 18 syns

Last edited:
Thursday planning

Hmm have no idea - think I will have a universal breakfast and decide from there...

Update: Well it is lunchtime and I had settled on a red day.

Skimmed Milk throughout the day (Hexa1)
Breakfast: Apple, yoghurt

Lunch: Princes Stewed Steak (4 syns), carrots, and 1 slice white bread (Hexb1) and 3 tsp Anchor lighter butter (I NEEDED it and it was delish) (4.5 syns)

Dinner: Roast chicken, mashed celeriac, roast carrots and onions, brussel sprouts

Snacks: 2x Alpen bars (Hexb2)

Last edited:
Friday Planning

Plan: Extra Easy/Red/Green

Skimmed milk throughout day
Breakfast: fruit salad and skinny latte with sugar free caramel syrup (using milk from allowance)

Lunch: Roast chicken portion (Hexb1) salad of tomatoes, celery, cucumber and red pepper with tbsp kraft light French dressing. Also had 28g cheddar cheese (will syn or hexa it when I decide how much pasta I want tonight!) (hexa2)

Dinner: 3 waitrose spicy Aberdeen Angus beef meatballs (because they need to be used from my freezer) (9 syns!!!!) and homemade syn free tomato sauce made from a celery, carrot and onion soffrito, 2x tin of tomatoes, garlic, splash of vinegar, pinch of sweetener, oregano and lots of pepper. Oh and spaghetti pasta either a decent amount or Hexb portion - see how I feel. I do like my extra hex's!

(Need to find the syn value of meatballs as don't look mega lean, hope it's not loads!)

Update: Actually decided to go for green day (I know, a curveball I wasn't expecting!) and syn the meat I've had so far. Well I found out the meatball syns and its horrific!!! Oh well, they're defrosted now and have decided to only have 3 and syn them. Having loads of pasta and sauce to make up for it :)

Total = 9 syns

Last edited:
Saturday

Catching up because I stayed at my mums Saturday night...

Going to my mums to dig away at the garden of the flat she not long bought. It's an enormous garden totally taken over by brambles - here's hoping it burns a load of calories!

Skimmed milk for day

Breakfast:
Yoghurt and apple

Lunch:
75g philidelphia with chives (hexa2 & 3 syns) and 3 ryvita multigrain (hexb1)

Dinner:
85g steak (hexb2), 2 stuffed peppers from Iceland (I think free but will count 2 syns) and peas

Snacks:
Apple, banana, mini dairy milk (6 syns)

Pretty successful day, except I think the Philly is not a hexa choice, but a Hexb choice. I'm in denial because it will mean I've had 3 hexb's! I'm not checking!

Total: 11 syns

Last edited:
Sunday

Morning at my Mum's being waited on hand and foot!

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs with 2 small slices wholemeal (hexb1)

Lunch: had this out, so little control
Ham & egg salad (2 slices of ham that I will count as a hexb2), various salad items and new potatoes. Small portion of coleslaw (3 syns?)

Snacks: banana, met friends for coffee and had 2 stem Ginger biscuits (160 calories - 8 syns?)

Dinner: roast veg (potatoes, carrots, butternut squash and onions) and small portion spaghetti bolognese (4 syns)(bad meal combination I know but got back late and just threw together whatever leftovers were to hand!). Yoghurt.

Total: 15 syns

Last edited:
Your diary is pretty good, very detailed. I wondered how easy you found it jumping between different days? I always worry that i'll get the Healthy Extras mixed up or syn incorrectly. I used to stick to Extra Easy but fell off the wagon: im rejoining tomorrow so think i want to try varying the days.

Anyway, good work :)

Aw thanks! :) didn't know anyone would read- it just helps me keep track. That said, this weekend went a little odd because I was out all weekend and didn't get back until late sunday.

Normally I keep my breakfasts quite neutral and don't use any healthy extras for it. Then I try and work out what I have for evening meal. If I really fancy pasta or potatoes then I'll mark it as green or if not so fussed (less hungry) and fancy plenty of meat I'll go for red.

This then normally determines what sort of lunch i have, again I try and avoid using any hex's. That way I can use them for snacks or sides for my meal.

I always try and have at least third superfree anyway as love my veggies. And I tend to re-evaluate just before dinner to see if I can make it an extra easy day as only really use hexa for milk. All depends on how many Hexb's I want!

I try to save most syns for evening so I can have a pudding or choccie bar! I'm less familiar with extra easy as I tend to eat large portion sizes so worry I will over do it! :)

Monday

Lost 3.5 lb from last weeks menu. :)

Plan: Red
Skimmed milk throughout day

Breakfast: yoghurt (poor amount but in a rush!)

Lunch: 5 rashers of well trimmed bacon, tin plum tomatoes, 2 flat portabello mushrooms, scrambled egg, 3 quorn sausages (3 syns - damn didn't realise they're not free any more!)

Dinner: syn free chicken do-piaza, paneer chickpeas (28g paneer hexa2, 100g chickpeas hexb1), onion & tomato salad, yoghurt mint sauce.

Snacks: 2 alpen bars (hexb2), tangerine.

Update:
OH ate out before coming home so wasn't that hungry so I wasn't going to make a huge effort so just did a spiced chicken in yoghurt sauce (syn free), curry spiced roasted butternut squash, carrots and celeriac (half tbsp olive oil 3 syns). Also had a curly wurly (6 syns).

Total = 9 syns

Last edited:
Tuesday

Will be out for lunch so will have an extra easy day...

Plan: extra easy

Breakfast: banana, yoghurt, apple

Lunch: debenhams - jacket potato, tuna and salad (might have 2 sachets of mayonnaise to mix in (? Syns - allow 4 syns)

Dinner: spaghetti carbonara, made with 85g bacon, trimmed, egg, garlic and 28g Parmesan (hexa1), side salad. Figs with 0% greek yoghurt, a tbsp honey (1syn), maybe some chopped nuts (7g - 2 syns)

Snacks: 2 alpen bars (Hexb1)

Update: Went to a zumba class on the spur of the moment this evening - really enjoyed it - but came back to find we had no spaghetti and Waitrose round the corner shut. Hence the chinese meal we had :( That said, I think I kept it fairly slimming world friendly. I had chicken in black bean sauce (which had loads of peppers and onions in) and steamed jasmin rice. (5 syns) Couldn't be bothered with doing the pud... tomorrow maybe!

Total syns = 9 syns

Last edited:
Back