Nigeepoo

I do supplement as should everyone nowadays, as you don't know what animals have been fed on or what fertilizers have been used to grow veggies & fruit.

You could always grow your own, get an allotment for fruit and veg, great for exercise to...and stick to organic meats!

You could always grow your own, get an allotment for fruit and veg, great for exercise to...and stick to organic meats!

Can't wait to move into a house with a garden - just so that i can do this!

Sad eh?

I'm too darned lazy to do that and it would take away valuable internet surfing time! ;)

If you read my Vitamin D article (link in my signature), you'll see that unless you either regularly sunbathe for 20 minutes a day in the Summer & Autumn, or eat an Eskimo's diet of oily fish, seal & whale blubber, you just can't get enough Vitamin D from your average English diet.....organic or not. Cheers, Nige.

my 94 year old great grandmother disagrees :D

Nigeepoo, if you had an allotment and went outside on such a beautiful day like this to do some digging then you may not need the vit D supp :D

Ah, ok, deep breath.
I'm gunna have to not comment any more cos i can feel me losing the battle with my inner welsh girl. I can't help but feel that you will disagree with everything, and thats fine, but it seems strange that you are disagreeing with peoples opinions - which i find impossible.

CD is a diet that works for me, i'm getting where i wanna be using it. I don't believe in taking supplements unless for a specific reason (iron for anemia, probiotics for IBS or skin complaints, calcium for bone growth and strength..) because you should be able to get everything you need from the food and environment around you.

Imagine the number of people that have ever lived on the earth, not isolate WHEN obesity became a problem. It's the processed food, silly choices, and convenience that did it to us.

One online article in 2006 stated:
The long-standing advice has been to get your nutrients from food, not pills.
Would you willingly down a concoction of pyridoxine, pantothenic acid, ascorbic acid, and alpha-tocopherol? How about 2-Me-3-polyisoprenyl-1,4-naphthoquinone? Understanding that vitamins B5, B6, C, E and K are chemicals and not just alphabet soup might caution us to consume these in moderation.

As my dearest oldies say, they survived on half an egg for brekkie in the 50's, and there sure as hell weren't and supplements then.

Anyway, thanks for all the info nigeepoo. BG signing off xxxxx

Hi Leah. I haven't disagreed with everything you said, have I?

I think that the internet is probably the reason why I became deficient in Vit D as, once I got internet access, I became an internet junkie and preferred to stay indoors.

Getting broadband access just made matters worse as I spent even more time glued to my computer.

Anyway, I've bombarded you (and everyone else) with quite enough science in a short space of time, so I'll give you and everyone else a break and just chat about stuff.

So, how did you get into the subject you're studying? Cheers, Nige xxx

So, how did you get into the subject you're studying? Cheers, Nige xxx

Wanted to do medicine and then genetics - probably genetic counselling. I got in to med school, and chickened out!
Here i am doing genetics (well, i would describe it as biolmolecular science cos we do cell cycle, metabolism, chemistry, as well as DNA and all that loverly stuff)

Dunno what to do next.

Lose weight and become a model - who knows?

Do you find that the world of Genetics is populated mostly by men, as Engineering is?

I must admit that you completely lost me with the TRAIL and TWEEK stuff. Are there any links which might explain it to me? I tried Wikipedia but I just got Tweek from South Park! :D

PubMed seems to be down at the moment....I just get a blank screen. I'll read it when the site comes back up again. EDIT: It's back up again. Double EDIT: Now I know what TRAIL means. So, what's TWEEK?

I bought "Biochemistry 5th Edition" by Stryer as someone recommended it to me. I can't read it for more than a few minutes at a time. My brain just can't cope!

I much prefer "Metabolism at a Glance" by J G Salway. Lots of diagrams. I love it! Nige xxx

The stryer book is amazing! Lots of help during the last three years. Hendersons encylopedia is good too.

Rem, TWEEK is the sister to TRAIL simply put :D

feel the need to echo BG - stryer is amazing! got me through my batchelors and onto Phd. Kate - I'm also at Newcastle - what year med you in?

How funny, I started a Genetics degree, then chickened out, took a year out and started medicine at Newcastle :)

Kate
xxxx

May follow in your footsteps soon xxx

feel the need to echo BG - stryer is amazing! got me through my batchelors and onto Phd. Kate - I'm also at Newcastle - what year med you in?

omg :) small world!!! I left in 1998!!!! , i am an oldie :D I live in Manchester now. I miss Newcastle so much. Have a reunion in May and can't wait .... quayside here I come. Prob changed loads since I was there though. What are you doing your Phd in?

Kate
xxxx

Back