Nigella's Recipes

shakenomore

Hi, just wondering if the following recipe from Nigella for Butternut & Sweet Potato would be GI friendly?

350g diced butternut squash and sweet potato from a packet
750ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground mace good grinding of pepper
4 teaspoons buttermilk (optional for garnish)

shakenomore said:
Hi, just wondering if the following recipe from Nigella for Butternut & Sweet Potato would be GI friendly?

350g diced butternut squash and sweet potato from a packet
750ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground mace good grinding of pepper
4 teaspoons buttermilk (optional for garnish)

Sweet potato raw is medium GL whilst baked sweet potato is high GL. Uttermost squash is low GL. Using both together will lower the overall GL value especially if you use more butternut squash in the dish. Cinnamon is a great spice apparently for aiding weightloss! Sound yum! Must try it.

Thank you Irish Molly. I have Roasted Butternut Squash soup cooking as I type for tomorrow's lunch and the lentil stew on the cooker for tomorrow evening. I'm struggling with what to have with both of them to ensure I am full...I know from reading your posts IM that you are a big fan of quinoa and I have used before but I think it is a bit too similar texture to the lentil stew so was thinking of some spaghetti. What to have with the soup is more difficult as I don't find soup on it's own filling. Any ideas?

If you don't fancy a couple of rye crackers with the soup, it will be ok to gave a slice of wholemeal soda bread or spelt bread. I try to limit bread to about two slices in any day, if at all. I really don't miss it now. When I do have much bread I find it leads to a bit of a binge on carbs so be careful.
The lentils will already be giving you enough carbs so I would add a side of your preferred veg with a teaspoon of chilli sauce to spice them up.
For other main meals make up a spicy bean stew with loads of veg, no need for any side dish. I love a stirfry of veg, fish, chilli flakes and quinoa or couscous. Add dessert spoon creme fraiche, lemon juice and it's good to go.

Thank you again IM. You are a mine of information! I always struggle with ideas - I will have the lentil stew with some cauliflower and brocolli tomorrow and the soup with a couple of rye crackers (never thought of them). I think I have some in the cupboard! Thanks again.

One final question, I have pilates tomorrow evening after work which means I don't get home until after 8 tomorrow evening - a long time from lunch. What can I have for snacks to keep me going until then?

I should also have added that we need to get our heads around not needing to have traditional type carbs. On GL we can have the old traditionals but in very small quantities compared to amounts of substitutes. 25-30 g dry weight of pasta is a GL serving. Weigh it out and see if you can be bothered to boil it! Instead you can have half a can if chick peas etc. By switching to low GL foods we can eat almost the same quantities as we would have otherwise. Of course not everyone will like the alternatives and will have to settle for half a small potato or 30g pasta.
Good luck fir tomorrow. Do try and give GL a few weeks before you make up your mind.

Back