No energy

evilpenguin

Not evil at all
Afternoon all

I have known for a while now that I'm very lazy but lately I've had absolutely no energy, can barely stay awake at work and when I go home at night I just want to sleep + put off doing everything cos I just have no energy to do it. I've been feeling rough these past couple of days, was meant to be going to the gym tonight but I'm giving it a miss and going home for a sleep! Please tell me that when you guys lost weight you had more energy?! I'm hoping it's my weight making me so tired + that I'll be a brand new me when I get down to my ideal weight

(PS I'm not going to change my mind about missing the gym tonight but going to start going weekly starting next week!)

I would say that as ive lost more weight ive definitely felt more energetic and pro-active. Though it may be worth considering other factors why you have had this sudden drop in energy asides from your weight - could you have a virus? possible pregnancy? totm approaching? Hope you feel better soon regardless of the cause :)

Sometimes I take iron tablets when doing green days as I am not having meat which really helps. I know many say you should just find iron in other foods such as green veg but I am a third year trainee teacher writing my dissertation so I am finding it hard enough to stick to plan as it is, iron tablets really help and I just stick to my normal and quick green meals such as jacket potatoes and chilli con carni etc

Maybe they would help if you're on green days too? Or looking at ways to get more iron into your diet? x

i have been feeling the same recently and think id got a virus, so maybe that is it, but fingers crossed we all feel more energetic when we've lost weight :)

you do feel more energetic when you weigh less but I find that going to the gym in the morning makes me more energetic and less lethargic. If I go to the gym in the morning I have less time to procrastinate and convince myself Im too tired, too ill, no time etc etc. Once there I feel great, its worth the effort

Afternoon all

I have known for a while now that I'm very lazy but lately I've had absolutely no energy, can barely stay awake at work and when I go home at night I just want to sleep + put off doing everything cos I just have no energy to do it. I've been feeling rough these past couple of days, was meant to be going to the gym tonight but I'm giving it a miss and going home for a sleep! Please tell me that when you guys lost weight you had more energy?! I'm hoping it's my weight making me so tired + that I'll be a brand new me when I get down to my ideal weight

(PS I'm not going to change my mind about missing the gym tonight but going to start going weekly starting next week!)

Not wanting to be alarmist or worry you , but I think you should get checked out by your doctor. It could be a very simple case of vitamin deficiency, like iron, but it could be the symptom of something else going on in your body.

I complained of this to my doctor for 6 months before they finally checked me out and it turned out that I had Hypothyroidism. Fatigue being a main symptom, gaining weight being another (I put on 6 stone!), and I also have M.E, also fatigue being a main symptom.

So I just think as a precaution you should get checked out.

Hypothyroidism here too, aka under-active thyroid. I have to take 50mgs of thyroxine a day and will probably have to do so for the rest of my life.

My mother had the same symptoms and was treated for pernicious anaemia for literally years before they realised what it was. She has to take 150mgs a day.

The difference after treatment is amazing - although it isn't instantaneous. I have so much more energy and it takes a lot more to make me feel down.

Hypothyroidism here too, aka under-active thyroid. I have to take 50mgs of thyroxine a day and will probably have to do so for the rest of my life.

My mother had the same symptoms and was treated for pernicious anaemia for literally years before they realised what it was. She has to take 150mgs a day.

The difference after treatment is amazing - although it isn't instantaneous. I have so much more energy and it takes a lot more to make me feel down.

Yeah depression or feeling down can also be a symptom as well. Its amazing how much this illness can be wrongly diagnosed. I put on weight within a very short space of time, had dodgy star weeks, hair falling out, moon face, totally bone tired. The doc just told me i needed to lose weight and be more healthy.

I was on a low fat diet at the time and doing aerobic's , hiking and learning to Jive! lol When I got diagnosed I complained about this doctor to the practice manager.

I sometimes wonder whether the fact I went so long without a diagnosis was perhaps one of the things that triggered my M.E, although I did get Pneumonia and they think that was the main reason but I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism only the year before. I'm on 50mg's too, I have been told it will be for life.

Hi,

I am normally full of energy (gym 6 times a week in one form or another) - I have just not been able to motivate myself for just over a week. Low and behold I came down with tonsillitis yesterday and have been signed off for 2 weeks! So, it may not be anything big!(but keep an eye on how long you feel drained of all energy)

I feel i might be on here a lot in the next week or so!

Please go to the thyroid Uk site and check the symptoms list and then go and get tested! I took three years to get a diagnosis in which time I put on 4 stone which I am trying to get rid of. But I was soooooooo tired it was untrue and I also had hair loss and all sorts. Weight loss will be more difficult if you are hypothyroid but not impossible. Good luck but please get tested!! and for you other underactives thyroid uk provide excellent information vicki

Mine turned out to be extreme Anaemia, I took Iron tablets but the symptoms remained then I started getting palpitations,memory loss, and mood swings my doctor 'accidently' checked my Vitamin B12 and folate levels (Apparently he ticked the wrong box) Thank God he did as I was deficient in those too and now have to take Folic Acid daily, and have a Vit B12 injection every eight weeks.

It takes a very long time to become deficient in Vitamin B12 as the body has masses of stores, however if you do alot of Green days and don't eat enough meat those stores will get used up. Continued deficiency can cause neurological disorders.

Go to the Doc and get yourself checked over. I reckon women should have iron levels etc checked every two years with the smear test!

i think i need a vitaimin check cause i feel tired all the time and can get quite depressed at times and have terriable mood swings i don't eat any veg and never have really. will the doc just do the test if i ask?

Iron levels are a funny thing...I produce too much iron (haemochromotosis sp? - hereditary) and I get the same symptoms as being anaemic - dont ask me how! I just have to give blood regularly to manage them. * weeks also effect me :(
I would definitely get yourself checked out by your GP Hun...it could just be nothing, but how will you know unless you go???

Take care.

x

Funnily enough I'm just back from having a blood test. We'd put my tiredness down to my depression and anxiety, (I've been off work for 4 months now) but my Gp thought I looked pale and wanted to check my thyroid, so I had 4 tubes taken this morning! Get yourself checked out.

Mine turned out to be extreme Anaemia, I took Iron tablets but the symptoms remained then I started getting palpitations,memory loss, and mood swings my doctor 'accidently' checked my Vitamin B12 and folate levels (Apparently he ticked the wrong box) Thank God he did as I was deficient in those too and now have to take Folic Acid daily, and have a Vit B12 injection every eight weeks.

It takes a very long time to become deficient in Vitamin B12 as the body has masses of stores, however if you do alot of Green days and don't eat enough meat those stores will get used up. Continued deficiency can cause neurological disorders.

Go to the Doc and get yourself checked over. I reckon women should have iron levels etc checked every two years with the smear test!

I was deficient in B9 too!! I thought I was seriously going senile lol

Woah, thanks for all of your replies. I've not been on here much since posting this thread so sorry!! I wasn't ignoring you lol

Reading through your replies and from how I've been the past few days I think there's definitely more going on than just my weight. I've been really down lately too, which never helps energy levels.

The last time I went to my GP about this
(maybe 3 years ago now) she told me to "change my lifestyle".. so I'm kind of expecting the same this time.

Not wanting to be alarmist or worry you , but I think you should get checked out by your doctor. It could be a very simple case of vitamin deficiency, like iron, but it could be the symptom of something else going on in your body.

I complained of this to my doctor for 6 months before they finally checked me out and it turned out that I had Hypothyroidism. Fatigue being a main symptom, gaining weight being another (I put on 6 stone!), and I also have M.E, also fatigue being a main symptom.

So I just think as a precaution you should get checked out.

Before I started SW I asked my doc to test me for all things thyroid, it all came back fine. I don't think I was tested for any vitamin deficiencies tho so thats something to look into, thanks.

I still have to register with my GP (we moved in July 09 and still haven't done it..) so I'm not going to see a doc anytime soon but I got myself some iron tablets + multivitamins from the chemist and even after just one day of taking them I feel a lot better, still tired but definitely feel chirpy :)

Back