No proof that drinking water benefits your health

Amy2249

Silver Member
Just wondered peoples opinions on hearing that there is no proof that drinking water is beneficial? I personally think it has improved my health in many ways from my skin to how alert I am throughout the day. What do you think?

I understood that apart from filling you up, and using up 40 calories per glass to get cold water to body temperature. Water also makes it easier for your kidneys to process your pee (as it's weaker), so they don't need help from your liver, so your liver can get on with processing fats.

Not sure where I heard this, or if it's true, but I always try to have my 8 glasses.

Yeah I have heard both of those statements. It is being said that you should drink water at room temp otherwise it can damage your body, but I have always drank cold water :-/

Moroda said:
I would imagine it's better due to less chemicals alone! And E numbers :p

Exactly! Wow the world is in recession and they're paying money to research that water has no benefit to our health.. Hmm right..

Personally I think water has improved my skin, helped my cellulite, my weight loss.. And I just love it :)

Well...that's not quite what they found out!!

Of course drinking water is beneficial. They only found out that it doesn't have to be quite the amount always stated in order to lose weight or to get amazing health benefits from it. And that coffee, tea atc also count as fluids AND the fluids in our foods count as well. So the point was: we don't need 2 litres of WATER each day but 2 litres of FLUID to maintain our body. Going OVER that amount won't make a big difference to your body as it will just be peed out...i guess the problem is that lots of people nowadays don't drink a lot and on top of that don't eat low density foods such as veg and fruit that contain a lot of fluids in order to maintain our body and therefor get easily dehydrated. But bottling down litres of water will not give you any extras...that's what the research stated.

I know what you are saying judywoody, maybe my title could have been phrased better, but I was just wondering how people felt about it as the comment about drinking more water comes up a lot as a tip to help lose weight or damage limitation. I wonder if people will continue to drink lots of water....

I found this online about the '8 glasses a day' - it's certainly contrary to what I've heard up to now...

an expert said:
Experts warn that drinking the recommended eight glasses of water a day could actually be harmful to a person's health.
an expert said:
Glasgow-based GP Margaret McCartney says benefits of drinking water are often exaggerated by organisations with a vested interest, such as bottled water brands. Writing in the British Medical Journal she also claims that drinking when not thirsty can impair concentration.

A report claims that the benefits of drinking copious amounts of water are quite simply myths, suggesting there is no evidence behind claims that water prevents multiple health problems.

According to Dr McCartney, consumption of excessive amounts of water can in fact lead to loss of sleep and even cause kidney damage instead of preventing it.

Professor Stanley Goldfarb, a metabolism expert from the University of Pennsylvania also claims there is no evidence to suggest that water suppresses appetite.

‘If children drank more water rather than getting extra calories from soda, that’s good - but there is no evidence that drinking water before meals reduces appetite,’ he says.

Around 2.06 billion litres of water was consumed in Britain last year in comparison to just 1.42billion litres in 2000.

I was having a discussion with a girl at work as she drink LOADS of water and is going to the loo every 20-30 mins it seems, but we had worked out that she had drank about 1.5 litres before 9am! I will have to take this into her at work. hehe

I do know when i dont get enough fluid i get really bad headaches, I dont think i actually have more than 2 litres a day tho, bad me. I suppose its like all things.....everything in moderation!

Well I KNOW that drinking water before meals defo reduces my hunger - I don't need an expert to tell me something different. That doesn't keep people from overeating though!

It also prevents me from having headaches - I think you have to listen to your body. If you drink so much water that you can't think of anything else because you keep going to the loo or constantly try to remember to drink your next glass of water, then it might not be for you..

Also, excessive water is not 8 glasses a day - It's when you drink more than 6 LITRES!! That can happen if you are an athlete for example.

All that was said was that 8 glasses a day is not necessary but not necessarily harmful either (the daily mail might have confused a few things there)

In another article it also says:

Dr. McCartney, the author of the report, is of the opinion that excessive intake of water can drop the level of salt in the body and cause swelling in the brain.
Nothing has been proven yet - it's just her opinion and because she is a "Dr." people might take it a bit too seriously...She hasn't done any reasearch that proves the opposite so far.

Last edited:
The best one I ever heard was when I was watching those guys who like to climb mountains on TV and he was doing everest, but he over did it.

The doctor quite simply said, you need to keep drinking water till you are hydrated. You are only hydrated when the water you excrete is the same colour as the water your drinking.

I try to use this as a guide for how much water you really should drink, I have always found the description of 8 glasses of water an intimidating amount of water to consume.

Pierce

Drinking way too much water can be very bad for you. I used to work with adults with learning disabilities and one lady I looked after used to have to be supervised in the bathroom because she would binge drink water, and it causes water toxicity (honestly!!) because it dilutes all the other stuff like electrolytes in your system.

Im sure many of us will know that many of the Ecstacy-related deaths have been down to drinking too much water, and perhaps recall the woman who died after taking part in a competition (to win a Nintendo "Wii", somewhat ironically) that involved drinking a ridiculous amount of water.

Fluid intake should be "good" but not excessive to ensure that we stay healthy. And that can be water, or diluted juice, or tea, or coffee, or even diet drinks. Moderation is key.

In the past I made a conscious effort to drink 1.5-2 litres of pure water a day. I still had crappy skin, was still a little pudgy, and still ate tons. I didn't feel any less tired, and all I did was go to the loo more lol.

So now I drink water (around 1 litre-ish), tea, and some diet fizzy every day, and to be honest I feel the same as I did drinking only water.

Also I do eat fruit and veg which contributes.

So to sum it up, it doesn't work for me, but if you feel it works for you, then keep it up!

Just wondered peoples opinions on hearing that there is no proof that drinking water is beneficial? I personally think it has improved my health in many ways from my skin to how alert I am throughout the day. What do you think?

I haven't seen anything on this - is there a new report or something?

I find drinking water beneficial but that is probably because I have always drunk far too little.

I haven't seen anything on this - is there a new report or something?

Originally Posted by an expert

Glasgow-based GP Margaret McCartney says benefits of drinking water are often exaggerated by organisations with a vested interest, such as bottled water brands. Writing in the British Medical Journal she also claims that drinking when not thirsty can impair concentration.

A report claims that the benefits of drinking copious amounts of water are quite simply myths, suggesting there is no evidence behind claims that water prevents multiple health problems.

According to Dr McCartney, consumption of excessive amounts of water can in fact lead to loss of sleep and even cause kidney damage instead of preventing it.

Professor Stanley Goldfarb, a metabolism expert from the University of Pennsylvania also claims there is no evidence to suggest that water suppresses appetite.

‘If children drank more water rather than getting extra calories from soda, that’s good - but there is no evidence that drinking water before meals reduces appetite,’ he says.

Around 2.06 billion litres of water was consumed in Britain last year in comparison to just 1.42billion litres in 2000.

This was posted earlier x

I always drink at least 2 litres at work alone.

But I tended to eat when bored at work (alot) so instead I reach for the water bottle. As yet, my brain has exploded because there's no salt in my body. If it does, i'll let you know.

xx

Back