Current Weight:
    10st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(28.36%)
    Diet:
    healthy eating
    What are your thoughts on the scales? I find weighing myself is a disaster - If I lose weight I seem to self sabotage and eat loads and gain it back and if I dont lose weight I seem to say to myself - 'I cant do it' and eat loads so either way I cant win. So I have decided not to weigh myself until Jan 1st 2010 which has taken the pressure off, now Im just eating healthy and changing my life, but I hope I can still keep my motivation up - what are your thoughts on weighing youself - do you find it spurs you on???

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. sugar_lipswales

sugar_lipswales Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm sure you'll notice a difference in your clothes even if you're not weighing, personally the suspense would kill me lol.

4. bejewellery

bejewellery Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2%)
    Diet:
    WW
    I'm obsessed with weighing myself! When I lose weight it makes me feel great and even more motivated for the next week, and when I put weight on I panic and try even harder.

It's not for everyone though, and I think measuring yourself as an alternative can give you a better idea of what weight you have lost. After all aren't we all trying to get down a dress size and thats all about your measurement.

Good luck

Wendy

5. Mogget

Mogget Member

Start Weight:
    20st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(26.32%)
    Diet:
    ICMYT/exercise
    I hardly ever weigh in - the scale can derail me far too easily. I was an anorectic teen and can too easily get caught up in the numbers. These days I go by how clothes fit, and how fit and healthy I am.

6. Spannerwanner

Spannerwanner technologically ignorant

Diet:
    Lighter Life
    I dropped two dress sizes a couple of years ago and I still have no idea how much I weighed at either end of the diet. I asked a friend to weigh me every month, not tell me the result but just to say if the loss was OK. I have been doing LL recently so I had to get weighed every week but my preference is for once a month as that irons out all the weird variability you get with monthly cycles.

7. FifeJill

FifeJill Member

Start Weight:
    13st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st3lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(12.43%)
    I've been weighing myself every two weeks on the scales in Boots. I was tempted to get myself some scales for the house but have decided against it as I think the temptation would be too much and I'd end up weighing myself every day and getting fed up when there's no difference. I like weighing in every two weeks as it's long enough to see some difference and it gives me something to look forward to and keeps me motivated.

8. Silence

Silence Bouncing back

Diet:
    WW Discover Plan
    I have a set weigh in day every week (Friday) and my weight is what it is. It certainly allows me to have a better idea of how I'm doing but I make a point of seeing my weight as a set of numbers - it's not the be all and end all. Admittedly I used to be obsessed with the scales and the numbers - I used to weigh myself every day and I did find myself getting depressed about it which is why I'm only allowed to touch the scales on a Friday.
    At the end of the day, you need to do what's right for you and what works for you!
    Good luck!!!

9. Jenmac

Jenmac can't speak French

Start Weight:
    11st6lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World online
    I don't weigh myself if I can help it - if I'm a pound heavier than last week I eat everything in sight and if I'm lighter it seems to lead me into starving myself to watch the scales go down, which is not the idea!
    I think not weighing yourself til next year is a brilliant idea - chances are you'll find it easier to stick to exercise and a healthy diet if you're concentrating on how you feel rather than how much you weigh. I managed to do this for a few weeks earlier this year and I did feel great, shame I sabotaged myself since then...like the signature above says though, failure is giving up completely. I'm still trying to eat sensibly and not starve/binge, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I am happier without the scales.

10. Konvictz

Konvictz Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    No diet just running and weight training.
    personally i dont really care about my weight. i weigh my self every now and then.

for me its all about fat burning, if im sweating i know im loosing fat. i will be starting weight training soon as well, so i will be gaining lean muscle mass...which will increase my weight.

i dont think anyone should be too concerned about weight, because people's bodys are designed differently, and no one has an ideal weight - that is one limitation of the bmi. i gained about 1-2 stone at the age of 11, of pure muscle because i started working out.

i think fat burning should be the main idea for people. feel your body, if theres wobbly bits, you need to loose it - thats what im using. alot of people get to their 'ideal' weight, but still look a bit overweight, maybe you guys need to consider this area.

11. olivia1987uk

olivia1987uk Full Member

Start Weight:
    20st0lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st7lb(2.5%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I got obsessed with it for a long time...but since joining the gym, I'm only weighing myself monthly...my lifestyle consultant at the gym told me I might put on up to half a stone of muscle in the first month. My weight hasn't changed but my clothes feel better!

12. Crazybecky5

Crazybecky5 Green tea advocate!!

Start Weight:
    18st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(18.92%)
    Diet:
    Atkins/Low Carb
    ...think i'm going to put the scales away! I weigh myself wayyyy too often and it's starting to become de-motivating!

13. Mirror

Mirror Member

Start Weight:
    12st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st12lb
    Lost(%):
    1st11lb(14.53%)
    Diet:
    Cutting out all junk food
    I weigh myself every Saturday in the morning and usually change my exercise routine accordingly to how much I've lost (If I've put on, it just means I need to work a bit harder)
    I find it more of a motivator than something I need to dread.

14. Jettica

Jettica Shoot to thrill

Start Weight:
    239lb
    Current Weight:
    172lb
    Goal Weight:
    140lb
    Lost(%):
    67lb(28.03%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm not sure to be honest. I'm definitely obsessed and although I try not to weigh myself more than once a week I do. It's motivating to see that I've lost weight and also if I've not lost or put on 1lb. However over the weekend I thought I'd put on 4lbs so proper pigged out.

Not weighing is good, I've only got enough willpower to exercise though let alone not weigh myself.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.