No Weigh!!

shrinkingannie

Gold Member
What are your thoughts on the scales? I find weighing myself is a disaster - If I lose weight I seem to self sabotage and eat loads and gain it back and if I dont lose weight I seem to say to myself - 'I cant do it' and eat loads so either way I cant win. So I have decided not to weigh myself until Jan 1st 2010 which has taken the pressure off, now Im just eating healthy and changing my life, but I hope I can still keep my motivation up - what are your thoughts on weighing youself - do you find it spurs you on???

I'm obsessed with weighing myself! When I lose weight it makes me feel great and even more motivated for the next week, and when I put weight on I panic and try even harder.

It's not for everyone though, and I think measuring yourself as an alternative can give you a better idea of what weight you have lost. After all aren't we all trying to get down a dress size and thats all about your measurement.

Good luck

Wendy

I hardly ever weigh in - the scale can derail me far too easily. I was an anorectic teen and can too easily get caught up in the numbers. These days I go by how clothes fit, and how fit and healthy I am.

I dropped two dress sizes a couple of years ago and I still have no idea how much I weighed at either end of the diet. I asked a friend to weigh me every month, not tell me the result but just to say if the loss was OK. I have been doing LL recently so I had to get weighed every week but my preference is for once a month as that irons out all the weird variability you get with monthly cycles.

I've been weighing myself every two weeks on the scales in Boots. I was tempted to get myself some scales for the house but have decided against it as I think the temptation would be too much and I'd end up weighing myself every day and getting fed up when there's no difference. I like weighing in every two weeks as it's long enough to see some difference and it gives me something to look forward to and keeps me motivated.

I have a set weigh in day every week (Friday) and my weight is what it is. It certainly allows me to have a better idea of how I'm doing but I make a point of seeing my weight as a set of numbers - it's not the be all and end all. Admittedly I used to be obsessed with the scales and the numbers - I used to weigh myself every day and I did find myself getting depressed about it which is why I'm only allowed to touch the scales on a Friday.
At the end of the day, you need to do what's right for you and what works for you!
Good luck!!!

I don't weigh myself if I can help it - if I'm a pound heavier than last week I eat everything in sight and if I'm lighter it seems to lead me into starving myself to watch the scales go down, which is not the idea!
I think not weighing yourself til next year is a brilliant idea - chances are you'll find it easier to stick to exercise and a healthy diet if you're concentrating on how you feel rather than how much you weigh. I managed to do this for a few weeks earlier this year and I did feel great, shame I sabotaged myself since then...like the signature above says though, failure is giving up completely. I'm still trying to eat sensibly and not starve/binge, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but I am happier without the scales.

personally i dont really care about my weight. i weigh my self every now and then.

for me its all about fat burning, if im sweating i know im loosing fat. i will be starting weight training soon as well, so i will be gaining lean muscle mass...which will increase my weight.

i dont think anyone should be too concerned about weight, because people's bodys are designed differently, and no one has an ideal weight - that is one limitation of the bmi. i gained about 1-2 stone at the age of 11, of pure muscle because i started working out.

i think fat burning should be the main idea for people. feel your body, if theres wobbly bits, you need to loose it - thats what im using. alot of people get to their 'ideal' weight, but still look a bit overweight, maybe you guys need to consider this area.

I got obsessed with it for a long time...but since joining the gym, I'm only weighing myself monthly...my lifestyle consultant at the gym told me I might put on up to half a stone of muscle in the first month. My weight hasn't changed but my clothes feel better!

...think i'm going to put the scales away! I weigh myself wayyyy too often and it's starting to become de-motivating!

I weigh myself every Saturday in the morning and usually change my exercise routine accordingly to how much I've lost (If I've put on, it just means I need to work a bit harder)
I find it more of a motivator than something I need to dread.

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm definitely obsessed and although I try not to weigh myself more than once a week I do. It's motivating to see that I've lost weight and also if I've not lost or put on 1lb. However over the weekend I thought I'd put on 4lbs so proper pigged out.

Not weighing is good, I've only got enough willpower to exercise though let alone not weigh myself.

Back