Nordic Walking?

Ahh fair enough, wondered if that's where you'd heard it from as its been on our intranet for a while :)

Ah, well my brother drives the gritting and sweeper wagons so he wouldn't have seen it on the intranet. :rolleyes:

I found it on the web, looked at the local community centre and noticed it there :)

I do a lot of walking in the north - does that count?;)

To be more serious, a lot of my rambling group colleagues walk with 2 x sticks - apparently it aids balance. I have not yet purchased said poles.

I do a lot of walking in the north - does that count?;)

To be more serious, a lot of my rambling group colleagues walk with 2 x sticks - apparently it aids balance. I have not yet purchased said poles.

Apparently this is not to be confused with ramblers using sticks, as there is a technique in the way you have to walk, it gives you a full body workout.

Cheep sticks start at around £25.00 but for anything decent you're looking at about £75.00 upwards.

A full body work out by adding two poles? Unless they weigh about 3kg each I can't see it being of any more benefit than walking.

A full body work out by adding two poles? Unless they weigh about 3kg each I can't see it being of any more benefit than walking.

Compared to regular walking, Nordic walking involves applying force to the poles with each stride. Nordic walkers use more of their entire body (with greater intensity) and receive fitness building stimulation not as present in normal walking for the chest, lats, triceps, biceps, shoulder, abdominals, spinal and other core muscles. This extra muscle involvement leads to enhancements over ordinary walking at equal paces such as:
  • increased overall strength and endurance in the core muscles and the entire upper body
  • significant increases in heart rate at a given pace
  • increasing vascular pathways and oxygen delivery efficiency
  • greater ease in climbing hills
  • burning more calories than in plain walking
  • improved balance and stability with use of the poles
  • significant un-weighting of hip, knee and ankle joints
  • provides density preserving stress to bones

I don't see why you shouldn't do it. Presumably as it's a course there will be loads of beginners, and they will take care of you. I expect you'll be very stiff at first, but that will wear off. Walking flexes and extends the lower back, so it will stretch your ligaments there and if they are shortened you will initially notice an increase in pain, but they soon accomodate, and you are better off moving than sitting/standing with back problems.

I might give it a try, just found out that the hire of the sticks is included in the price so no splashing out on gear before trying :D

I got you now. I'm no expert of course, but I can't help thinking of that ski-walking where people haul themselves over level ground with poles AND skis. That I reckon would be tough going indeed.

Go for it anyway - especially if it includes equipment hire. It can only help and let us know how it goes.

Steve:)

It's very similar to ski walking, I believe that's where it came from originally, skiers used to do it when they didn't have snow as a form of training :)

Back