not enough superfree :(

Short/Sweet

I'm struggling to add 1/3rd superfree to every meal, looking at my food diary I can see im not eating enough, I know im going wrong but I just cant seem to fit that much in. I will be buying some frozen peas soon, havent had the time atm.. I add sweetcorn to every dinner almost but its not superfree!! I wish it was, I could eat tins and tins of it.

Could someone have a look at my food diary and help with what I could have with it? thanks

My food diary

Had a quick look. Obvious ones for me are:

Banana on cereal or some sort of fruit with breakfast.
Side salads with main meals.
Adding mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, peppers and similar into main meals.

Alternatively I buy bags of frozen mixed veg from the supermarket and use these. Can just boil or steam enough for me as and when needed.

At the mo I have a mixed bag if cauli, broccoli and baby carrots.

Oh and I agree with sweetcorn. It's my absolute gave and I could eat it all day and night!

Hth! Xx

I would also say try to have banana or some other fruit with your breakfast- even if it's just a few berries, strawberries are good with some yoghurt. Also I find melon is a good way to start the day :)
With meals like pasta, try having a side salad with it too, or even before you start to eat the pasta itself.
Snack on fruit during the day, even some raw veg with low-syn or syn-free hummus or other dips.

If you find it hard adding veg to meals, you could try making soups for lunch, with superfree veg like onion, broccoli, courgette etc..
Hope this helps, and good luck :)

Im currently eating some chopped up apple and grapes with muller light for breakfast, the reason im finding it so difficult is that I dont like most fruit and veg. I dont like banana or melon or strawberries, or broccoli or courgette or peppers. i can just about stomach mushrooms as long as the are cut up small and fried with other things. when i next have chance i'll get some frozen veg but stumped with ideas to use it in. Im a shift worker and my shifts are all random, i find i dont really have the time to cook things from scratch but then to get all the superfree stuff in it i feel like i should cook it from scratch. most nights ive not been having dinner until half 9/10 at night because its taken me so long to cook it!

Do you like tomatoes and cucumber? have those slices on top of your ryvita and laughing cow. and with your jacket spud.

Just one quick thing peas are not superfree either so they won't help.

How about pickled onions or beetroot, pickles or red cabbage? Dont forget passatta is superfree so you can add that to a lot of pasta dishes.

Go through your book and highlight all the superfree fruits and veg you do like instead of stressing about what you don't like. Then try and incorporate those into your meals.

If you are really really struggling then think about doing red or green days, although for your health it is a good idea to always ahva a 1/3 superfree it is not essential on red or green.

Teresa

nope dont like tomatos and cucumber :(, i can have passata as a base for sauces, but that's about it.

Mm don't take this the wrong way, but when you say you "don't like" these things, do you mean you don't like as in they almost make you throw up they are that revolting (I am like that with most fish etc) or do you just mean you don't like them as in they're not something you *do* like? (I'm like that with some veggies more than others, like aubergines, courgettes, celery I find pretty spew-worthy but if they're cooked right or hidden away I don't notice so much. I think it's the texture, it makes me gag). Other things I definitely dont 'like' eg lettuce etc but I can force myself to eat a bit of it, especially if I put it in some sort of sauce or dressing or mix it in with beans or something that I *can* eat.

Eating healthily isn't easy, we do have to make compromises. (That's not meant to be all holier-than-thou btw but there's no diet where you're just going to happily enjoy every single thing you eat and go back for more, or we'd all be Kate Moss :D )

Like I said though, if you do find them really revolting so they make you throw up then fair enough. (I have a friend who is allergic to pretty much everything except pizza :D Seriously!) As suggested above you're better off picking out things you do like (or at least *can handle*) from the list and deciding what you can make with them, rather than eliminating everything that contains stuff you dont like.

Do you like soup? Stew? Pickles? What food *do* you like and we can look what's in it.

make a list of all the fuits and veg yu do like hun, you might find it easier to think of ways to add them if you look through your list, instead of trying to remember off top of your head

veg soup is really good too, as you can blend it all up smooth so you dont taste any paticualr veg...if you see what i mean. means you can add extras in without noticing

or if you really don't like them then switch to red or green days where the superfree isn't so important. This is what I did in the end.I do like fruit and veg and try all sorts of new things now, but I don[t want a third of my plate of it all the time. I just do EE at the weekends now :)

Hiya! If you wanted to list all the fruits and veg you like/ can stomach people on here might have some good ideas of how to eat them/ incorporate them into your food? Just a thought! Dont get disheartened-there's always a way around problems like this! Just might need to be open! Xx

pre sw i ate next to 0 fruit and veg .. memories of being forced to eat the yucky stuff as a child at home and school haunted me
would have tiny bit of boiled to death frozen mixed veg on plate to show my kids look i eat veg but tbh i never ate it id use excuse of im full and leave it lurking on plate

i choose to follow green days as am super fussy about meat... now i eat veg and fruit by the plate full ..stir frys for lunch used to have a ton of soy sauce on now can eat without it
only have a weighed out bit hxb of roast meat for sunday lunch..nom nom i do get super moody if i dont get that meat fix once a week :D

courgets + carrots are perfect for grating and adding to sauces even my kids eat those without a fuss and 1 is an extremly fussy eater with special needs

suggest you try adding fruit and veg to things rather then trying to fill up a plate with them... hiden stuff always seems sooo much nicer to me ;)

we took a portion of our garden away from kids/dogs and have stuff growing, i find it extremly rewarding to go out and pick a courget i watched grow..

Just one quick thing peas are not superfree either so they won't help.

How about pickled onions or beetroot, pickles or red cabbage? Dont forget passatta is superfree so you can add that to a lot of pasta dishes.

For some reason I thought peas were :sigh: there goes my idea of filling the plate with peas!! I didn't notice pickled onions were superfree :D I snack on these!

Mm don't take this the wrong way, but when you say you "don't like" these things, do you mean you don't like as in they almost make you throw up they are that revolting (I am like that with most fish etc) or do you just mean you don't like them as in they're not something you *do* like? (I'm like that with some veggies more than others, like aubergines, courgettes, celery I find pretty spew-worthy but if they're cooked right or hidden away I don't notice so much. I think it's the texture, it makes me gag). Other things I definitely dont 'like' eg lettuce etc but I can force myself to eat a bit of it, especially if I put it in some sort of sauce or dressing or mix it in with beans or something that I *can* eat.

There are things ive tried to like, like tomatoes and eggs, but I just cant stomach them, i just about managed to eat an egg today but that was masked with loads of baked beans!

veg soup is really good too, as you can blend it all up smooth so you dont taste any paticualr veg...if you see what i mean. means you can add extras in without noticing

I am looking for a blender to make soups! Atm I don't own one and I dont think having huge chunks of food I dont like would be nice, I'm thinking once all blended together so that i cant taste each individual item might be okay

i choose to follow green days as am super fussy about meat... now i eat veg and fruit by the plate full ..stir frys for lunch used to have a ton of soy sauce on now can eat without it
only have a weighed out bit hxb of roast meat for sunday lunch..nom nom i do get super moody if i dont get that meat fix once a week :D

Once i go shopping again i think im going to get some stuff for a stir fry as i used to have them pre slimming world and tbh even now I can have the exact same things in it!

All the weighing out of meat puts me off having green days, im used to normally having meat and carbs every meal =/

8 weeks ago I didn't like veg/fruit I'd eat them when I went to my parents for tea but otherwise I'd not add them to my meals. 8 weeks later I crave fruit and veg and if I don't get my quota i don't feel as well.

I started off by adding what I considered safe veg like cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and now i'm eating allsorts and actually enjoying them.

It does take a while for your tastebuds to settle when they are used to high salt high sugar high fat diets but they will and the fruits and veg will taste so much nicer!

Saying all that I will never eat a tomato with the gooey stuff inside the texture makes me want to hurl.

you can get one of them stick blenders from asda or tesco for about a fiver hun, they work just aswell as a blender and for just occasional use it wont break the bank either :)

Im going to check in morrisons tomorrow :)

If you prefer starchy veg like peas and sweetcorn how about trying things like butternut squash or swede roasted. Dont forget veg doesnt just have to be boiled to a pulp or a salad. I love roasted veg - carrots bns parsnips swede peppers and onions all taste yummy roasted and make a good alternative to spuds.

Back