Not Happy!!!...advice please

Loopeylou

Gold Member
Well as some of your know I joined the gym 2 weeks ago and feeling so good that I'm doing something so positive about my fitness.
I sts last week - after gaining 4.5 the week before due to hols I really expected a loss.......just got back from weigh in and have gained 0.5!!!
Not happy....My C has given me a food diary, I got the impression she didn't believe my food had been good....she said exercise and SW = weight loss!!
Doesn't help when several members were shocked at there losses considering how naughty they'd been...WTF
I will not give up the gym or SW but feel so ****ed off....sorry guys but need some words of wisdom.

Were off on hols 23rd July for nearly 3 weeks ( going to France ) and had hoped to be 6lb slimmer and fitter .....not weighing more :( :mad: :eek:

Help!!!!!

Muscle weighs more than fat so it's common to weigh more if you've just started excercising. Have you measured yourself?

Plus - my consultant told us (her b/f is a Personal Trainer) that your muscles hold on to water when you first start to exercise and that may well be impacting for you.

Try not to get too disheartened, stick to it for another week and I bet you'll start to see the fruits of your labour :D

Like lounglizard said...try measuring yourself.
I was really upset last week when i only lost a pound and had been exercising and going to boxercise and spinning and another lady lost 7lbs . My C made me feel crap but I know that I worked hard and I feel better for doing it. If you know you're foods good and you feel better for going to the gym then good on you. I'm sure your bodies just adjusting to your new rountine. Well done for starting the gym and don't let anyone make you feel bad about how well your doing.

I agree with leelea, it's just your body adjusting to the exercise.

You know you've been eating right, and you've been doing ammmazing with your exercise. So just keep going, and you'll see the results you want and deserve very soon! xx

Nearly everyone i've talked to has reported a weight gain/maintain in the first few weeks of starting exercise.

It is the body protecting itself - it suddenly see's all this activity and gets "scared" and holds onto water to feed the muscles. After a while, it comes to realise that no harm is being done and stops holding onto it.

You will see results - and maybe already are - as other people have said - you may not see it on the scales - but the inches may have changed for the better.

Hey hun, as long as you know you are sticking to the plan correctly then you are fine. The consultants and group members are often disbelieving when people say they have been good (I'm sure we've all been the disbeliever of others at times??) but YOU know what you are doing.

Stick with the plan and the exercise but don't expect the exercise to make the weight drop off quicker, my consultant always says that it is good for you and helps tone up but doesn't really make the weight drop off an awful lot quicker.

I bet you will be rewarded with a fantastic weight loss in the next week or so. xxx

*breathes in and out.*

You are not building muscle at that kind of rate whilst following SW which is designed to give you a calorie deficit. Have you read about men in the bulking stage of gaining muscle? it takes a lot of work and that is for a man who is built to gain muscle more easily than women. If we built muscle by exercising that easily

Secondly, muscle speeds up your basic metabolic rate, so should in theory help your weight loss.

Ian is correct, although I'd be surprised you'd lose inches that quickly.

Personally, I think exercise is for fitness, not for weight loss.
I remember hearing somewhere that to use up the calories used on a chocolate bar would take some hideous amount of exercise to burn off, something ridiculous like 7 hours!!
Also, to weigh more in muscle mass, you'd have to be some kind of body builder to have gains!!
That said, I do believe that you may weigh more due to your muscle holding onto water.....it's been said many times here before, so there must be something in it.
Exercise can only be a good thing though, and so as long as you are following the plan correctly, you WILL get results. Remember though weight loss isn't all about what the scales read. You will almost certainly be toning up from the exercise and this in turn will re shape your body and you will look a lot leaner.
Stick with it, it will happen!

Last edited:
I found my losses seemed to be slower when I started exercising and then went back to normal after a few weeks, which for me is still slow. I find if I do an awful lot of intensive exercise, then I see a good loss. However, I have to do lots and lots of exercise. That's run 5km every couple of days and do at least 30 minutes on the Wii most days. I also go to a gym, but only once a week.

I lost my first two stone with very little exercise but I'm getting near to my target and find it hard to shift the remaining few pounds. I don't want to reduce my syns or change what I eat so I'm exercising a lot more.

Hey Hun.

Firstly, your body has suddenly gone from being not so active to being taken to the gym...its in shock! You will adjust and the weight will start coming off again. Just make sure to drink plenty of water whilst you are exercising.
I use the exercise for toning - I do a lot of cardio and spend more time on my legs and waist then anything else. I have gone from a 54" hip to a 32" (I think..havent measured in a while!)
If you are enjoying the exercise, which it sounds as if you are; keep at it! You may find that the inches improve over the weight and your body will change shape before the scales show a massive loss.
It will happen Hun, so keep at it!!!

xxx

I'm in EXACTLY the same place! I've always been fairly active, and walk 8-10 miles a day, or more. About 6 weeks ago I decided to up my Body Magic to try and speed my VERY slow losses.
On an average week, for the last six, I have done...
12 hours of moderatly fast walking.
1 hour body pump
2.5 hours Zumba (Intense dance workout)
1 hour swimming
25 miles cycling
1 hour aerobics
Sometimes more, but rarely less.

This week I have also started learning to jog, with the aid of 'podrunner'.

The first week I lost 4lbs, and over the next weeks, I have gained it all back again! I didn't expect it to roll off at 4lbs a week, but I CERTAINLY didn't expect to be gaining half pounds, either!

My legs are tonig up lovely, I feel good, and my clothes are sitting nicely - but there is no getting away from the fact that I actually weigh the same/half a pound more than when I was only walking!

I'm now teetering at half a pound under the stone-up barrier, and I SOooo don't want to go back up :`(

Hey Hun.

Firstly, your body has suddenly gone from being not so active to being taken to the gym...its in shock! You will adjust and the weight will start coming off again. Just make sure to drink plenty of water whilst you are exercising.
I use the exercise for toning - I do a lot of cardio and spend more time on my legs and waist then anything else. I have gone from a 54" hip to a 32" (I think..havent measured in a while!)
If you are enjoying the exercise, which it sounds as if you are; keep at it! You may find that the inches improve over the weight and your body will change shape before the scales show a massive loss.
It will happen Hun, so keep at it!!!

xxx

Thanks hun.....54 to 32 is amazing, your my inspiration!!!
xx

I'm in EXACTLY the same place! I've always been fairly active, and walk 8-10 miles a day, or more. About 6 weeks ago I decided to up my Body Magic to try and speed my VERY slow losses.
On an average week, for the last six, I have done...
12 hours of moderatly fast walking.
1 hour body pump
2.5 hours Zumba (Intense dance workout)
1 hour swimming
25 miles cycling
1 hour aerobics
Sometimes more, but rarely less.

This week I have also started learning to jog, with the aid of 'podrunner'.

The first week I lost 4lbs, and over the next weeks, I have gained it all back again! I didn't expect it to roll off at 4lbs a week, but I CERTAINLY didn't expect to be gaining half pounds, either!

My legs are tonig up lovely, I feel good, and my clothes are sitting nicely - but there is no getting away from the fact that I actually weigh the same/half a pound more than when I was only walking!

I'm now teetering at half a pound under the stone-up barrier, and I SOooo don't want to go back up :`(

Glad its not just me:eek: its not fair though but we have to keep pushing through and hopefully soon will come out the other end soon!
Keep up the great work hun
xx

You're doing amazingly Loopey :D And I bet you already feel better for it??
It is true that muscles need 'water' to help with healing and it will hold on to more of it in the first few weeks of new exercise. But once they're used to it you should start losing again. Just think how lovely and toned you will be if you keep it up?

I feel the same as lentil2. Exercise is for fitness :)

Back