NOT LOSING - WHY

Rosb50

I have joined SW again in the hope that I can lose 3 stone.

I have joined twice before in the last 2 or 3 years and although I stick to the plan I lose lots the first week (lost 6lbs this time) then the 2nd or 3rd week it grinds to a halt.

This time I actually gained a 1lb on my 2nd week - my leader has checked my trackers and she cant see anything I am doing wrong.

I am trying to eat little and often this week instead of having 3 set meals but this week I do feel fatter round my middle so quite expect to gain again when I weigh in on Thursday.

I feel great doing the diet and at least it has got me out of the binge/starve cycle as to be honest eating all my free food, A & B choices and 10 Syns a day really fills me up.

If I don't lose this week (or gain again) I might try just having Red days as I do think the large amounts of Carbs don't agree with me.

Has anyone else had this problem? Members at my class who have lost loads of weight say I have to lose if I stick to the plan but I can say 100% I am sticking to it & writing everything down.

Hi, I tend to maintain or have a slight gain if I eat pasta! I aim to stick to half super free small amount of carbs and meat, I replace potatoes with butternut squash or roast veg then have an extra glass of water!

I find that if I have a significant loss one week or for a couple of weeks in a row my body then resists and I can almost guarantee a STS or maybe a gain. I gained an inexplicable 2lb a few weeks back and I'm on course for a STS this week despite being 100% on message. Our bodies are funny things and retain a lot of survival instincts from the days when food was scarce. That's why we have things such as 'starvation mode', it's the bodies way of hanging on to your body fat for dear life when it fears you may lose too much weight to survive. Irrational maybe but if your metabolism has been used to getting what it wants the shift can take some adjustment. Push on through it and you may find the following week you have a much better result.

Our bodies can retain and incredible amount if non fat weight and of can fluctuate hugely. One salty meal and a work out without rehydrating is enough to make me gain 4 or 5 lbs overnight! Fluid and fibre changes can make a huge difference. Follow the plan and look at your monthly stats!

Hi Ros, Have you thought about doing the SuccessExpress plan for a week? This is where 2/3 of your plate needs to be superfree foods. This cuts down on the amount of carbs you have. You could also consider cutting your syns down to 5 syns per day?

Also, this is probably frowned upon but I've found having a bit of a cheat everynow and again kick starts your weightloss! - As long as you can control it. ;-)

Hi Ros! Sorry to hear that you are not losing despite being 100% on plan.

This used to happen to me regularly. So my next question is do you exercise? I need to combine exercise with being 100% on plan to lose and when I was trying to get to target I would lose about 2lbs a week.

Weightlifting is brilliant I have found as it keeps your metabolism burning long after you have stopped lifting. It won't make you muscly at all just toned which will be great as the weight comes off.

Maybe restrict yourself to one portion of carbs a day?

I hope things start moving for you soon. Oh and drink plenty of cold water during the day.

Xx

Hi, it may sound silly but i lose more steadily if I make sure that I drink enough water.

Also, try not to think too much about how often you eat or how big your portions are! If it is FREE than that is exactly what it is, you can eat as much as you like! You might not be eating enough (I know it sounds stupid, but I had that problem last time!)

Your 1lb gain will level itself out, it might just be that your water retention levels are different this week.

Try not to worry and enjoy the plan xx

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to try drinking water (I only drink tea/coffee) and doing some extra exercise. I think looking at the monthly total is also a good idea so will concentrate on the total loss every 4 weeks.

Will keep you posted!

Just a thought with drinking, if you drink tea and coffee make sure the milk is out of your allowance for your healthy extra or synned and also if you use sugar (opposed to sweetner) then make sure you are counting those syns too - they quickly add up!

I've changed to Green, fruit and herbal teas and i feel fantastic with them, you could maybe try some fruit ones :)
xx

Hello there! Just to let you know, a lot of people experience a gain/maintain despite being nearly 100% in week 3/4 - the key is to just keep at it 100%, and the following week/weeks you should see your losses return :) It must be an adjustment thing! x

Back