Not really off topic but...

TwinkleToes2day

Silver Member
..couldn't think where to ask this.
We are all being very careful about our intake of fats, but surely we need some of the 'good' ones to help lubricate our joints and see off some of the 'bad' stuff?
For example, Walnuts are extremely good for us but they are a whopping 9.5 syns for just 28g.
I'm not any type of nutritionist but started thinking about this after seeing a bag of uneaten monkey nuts in the cupboard and realised it's been weeks since I had any kind of nut.
Any thoughts?
X

You can have nuts as a B choice on green days and you can have olive oil as a B choice on all days.
Salmon, mackerel and other oily fish are free on red/EE
Other than that, that's what our syns are for :)

Thing us, while nuts are good for us, they are so easy to overeat on. I bet you can get 28g worth in one handful and that can be eaten very quickly. The syn value is high as the calories are high.

Hiya

I avoid the spray oils as I don't like them and the "bad" fats -but I do syn oils and eat avocado and salmon on a regular basis. I know that my skin and hair go all dry if I don't ;)

You can have nuts as a B choice on green days and you can have olive oil as a B choice on all days.
Salmon, mackerel and other oily fish are free on red/EE
Other than that, that's what our syns are for :)

Thing us, while nuts are good for us, they are so easy to overeat on. I bet you can get 28g worth in one handful and that can be eaten very quickly. The syn value is high as the calories are high.

Thanks Jaylou :D
I agree about nuts being easy to overeat, I could scoff loads no problem with never a care about the calorie value. One of the reasons I'm here I guess, haha, :eek:
Not missing them enough at the moment mind you to use my syns on ;)
I do eat quite a lot of the fish you mentioned (at least 4x a week) plus tuna & haddock. Never thought about them being just as good as nuts for the beneficial oils, dah!
What do you reckon about those that don't eat fish?
x

Hiya

I avoid the spray oils as I don't like them and the "bad" fats -but I do syn oils and eat avocado and salmon on a regular basis. I know that my skin and hair go all dry if I don't ;)

Hi Capricorn :D
I've never had avocado.
I think after my friend, who is 52, had been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, and only being a couple of years behind her, I started thinking more about my 'diet'. She doesn't eat fish and has never been a nut or veg person. And then seeing the monkey nuts brought the subject to the front of my mind.
X

I'm allergic to fish and used to love olive oil, nuts etc in my diet - I know I can syn them or have as a hex choice (im EE), but I will be honest, I never do. I know I should try. I might go crazy and buy an avocado tonight! lol :D xx

. . .

I've never had avocado.
. . .

Oh my goodness, you are missing a treat! Yes, they are a bit high in syns, but so delicious. I always buy the Haas ones (dark, very rough skin) and have half one day and half the next. Sometimes I just eat them with a spoon, but a favourite is in a wholemeal sandwich with tomato and basil.

Oh my goodness, you are missing a treat! Yes, they are a bit high in syns, but so delicious. I always buy the Haas ones (dark, very rough skin) and have half one day and half the next. Sometimes I just eat them with a spoon, but a favourite is in a wholemeal sandwich with tomato and basil.

Yum RedField, that's tomorrows lunch sorted :D xx

Hi RegField :D
Do they have to be peeled? Cooked? :)
x

ooohhh I used to have mine sliced on home made granary bread -with feta, red onion and a drizzle of balsamic :drool:

I like haas ones for bashing -but I find them a bit soft for salads -so I have the other ones on salad now with a healthy extra of feta mmmmm

They come in at about 7.5syns per half -but ooh they are worth it aren't they :D

Hi RegField :D
Do they have to be peeled? Cooked? :)
x
you don't need to cook them.. just cut in half length ways and twist to separate.. there is a big stone in the middle (leave it in the half you aren't eating as it stops it going brown so quickly-rub with lemon or lime to if you have it) then you can usually scoop the other half out whole with a spoon

I slice avocado and put it on top of chilli/fajitas with a wee drop lemon juice. Low syn guacamole without the work!

Nuts can be synned or added as a B choice as already said

Oily fish twice a week is high in good fats and free, if you look at salmon, mackerel (even the boneless fillets in tomato sauce count) and dead easy on toast or whizzed into pate.

Sometimes using an oil to be synned instead of a full of artifical stuff salad dressing is also an option, walnut, pumpkin seed oil with a nice balsamic is a wonderful dressing and you only need to syn a little!

Egg yolks, which we eat on SW, comtain omega 3.

Tahini, which you only need a wee bit of in chickpeas for hummous is also high in Omega 3

I take a pumpkin seed oil at the moment for the baby to make sure I'm getting enough Omega 3. I do try and fit in fish twice a week when I can. I don't syn my supplement as I'm counting it as a pregnancy medication and its not something I would do "normally" when on SW.

I know the "good fats" extend to more than Omega 3 but its worth trying to look at your diet and see what one small thing you can change.

When I lived in Australia I used to have a BALT from my favourite cafe.

Bacon, advacado, lettuce and tomato so much nicer than mayo.

I find when I buy them here that I have to leave them to ripen for a few days as I can only ever get them rock hard in the shops why is that :rolleyes:

you don't need to cook them.. just cut in half length ways and twist to separate.. there is a big stone in the middle (leave it in the half you aren't eating as it stops it going brown so quickly-rub with lemon or lime to if you have it) then you can usually scoop the other half out whole with a spoon

Thanks Capricorn :D Awful high in syns but may give them a go :)
X

I slice avocado and put it on top of chilli/fajitas with a wee drop lemon juice. Low syn guacamole without the work!

Nuts can be synned or added as a B choice as already said

Oily fish twice a week is high in good fats and free, if you look at salmon, mackerel (even the boneless fillets in tomato sauce count) and dead easy on toast or whizzed into pate.

Sometimes using an oil to be synned instead of a full of artifical stuff salad dressing is also an option, walnut, pumpkin seed oil with a nice balsamic is a wonderful dressing and you only need to syn a little!

Egg yolks, which we eat on SW, comtain omega 3.

Tahini, which you only need a wee bit of in chickpeas for hummous is also high in Omega 3

I take a pumpkin seed oil at the moment for the baby to make sure I'm getting enough Omega 3. I do try and fit in fish twice a week when I can. I don't syn my supplement as I'm counting it as a pregnancy medication and its not something I would do "normally" when on SW.

I know the "good fats" extend to more than Omega 3 but its worth trying to look at your diet and see what one small thing you can change.

Thanks for all the info Lexie_dog :D How do I make pate out of tinned mackerel please?
Where can I buy bottles of walnut oil for salads, I've never seen anything like that?
X
X

..couldn't think where to ask this.
We are all being very careful about our intake of fats, but surely we need some of the 'good' ones to help lubricate our joints and see off some of the 'bad' stuff?
For example, Walnuts are extremely good for us but they are a whopping 9.5 syns for just 28g.
I'm not any type of nutritionist but started thinking about this after seeing a bag of uneaten monkey nuts in the cupboard and realised it's been weeks since I had any kind of nut.
Any thoughts?
X

Well, I don't know about "lubricating your joints" with oil intake, however your body needs a certain amount of oils in order to digest certain vitamines, such as A and E, as these are fat-soluble.
BBC - Health: Fat-soluble vitamins
Most beneficial are polyunsaturated fatty acids, like you get in oily fish, flaxseeds and walnuts, just to name a few.
10 Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Hope this info helps :)

Thanks for all the info Lexie_dog :D How do I make pate out of tinned mackerel please?
Where can I buy bottles of walnut oil for salads, I've never seen anything like that?
X
X

Walnut oil and the like I tend to buy at a shop called Oil and Vinegar - I'm not sure if theres one near you? but they do mail order, but its nice to go in and try the oils and things before you buy. Oils & Vinegars - Uk English

The pate, I've perhaps explained incorrectly, for pate I buy smoked salmon trimming from Asda only about 60 - 70p, and whizz up with hand blender with a full tub of quark, some pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Mackerel pate I would do the same thing with smoked mackerel fillets once deskinned but I think these have a syn value, it's not much. These are sold by weight usually about £2.50 for a pack.

Should get both of these in the fresh fish cabinet, where you'd find the chilled smoked salmon. The trimmings are great for throwing through Pasta etc, and are really cheap.

The tinned mackerel I usually throw over a baker or toast for a quick lunch.

Walnut oil and the like I tend to buy at a shop called Oil and Vinegar - I'm not sure if theres one near you? but they do mail order, but its nice to go in and try the oils and things before you buy. Oils & Vinegars - Uk English

The pate, I've perhaps explained incorrectly, for pate I buy smoked salmon trimming from Asda only about 60 - 70p, and whizz up with hand blender with a full tub of quark, some pepper and lemon juice to taste.

Mackerel pate I would do the same thing with smoked mackerel fillets once deskinned but I think these have a syn value, it's not much. These are sold by weight usually about £2.50 for a pack.

Should get both of these in the fresh fish cabinet, where you'd find the chilled smoked salmon. The trimmings are great for throwing through Pasta etc, and are really cheap.

The tinned mackerel I usually throw over a baker or toast for a quick lunch.

Thanks ever so much Lexie_dog :D
That Oil & Vinegar shop sounds great. Will look on-line, nothing like that around here, I think we're lucky Tesco found us, haha. Asda is about 12miles away but get to it occasionally, will look for the salmon trimmings, love the sound of that pate.
I like my tinned mackerel on bakers too, or warmed on a salad.

Back