not used to compliments

pinkiepie

In the last 7 days people have really started to notice my weightloss and i'm getting lots of very nice compliments but i'm finding it very difficult to take them, i suppose because i'm not used to it. I am getting very embarassed to the point that i dont want anyone to notice me! I'm wanting to wear cloths that aren't showing my new figure. I have had a few comments from people saying that i should stop now and i look fine which are annoying me a bit as it's mainly from people that are a lot thinner than me, i think they like it when your fat so you make them feel better about themselves!

I have had a few comments from people saying that i should stop now and i look fine which are annoying me a bit as it's mainly from people that are a lot thinner than me, i think they like it when your fat so you make them feel better about themselves!

Totally agree with you there! But just remind yourself who you are doing this for........is it these people or you? You are the only one that has to be happy with your appearance......Start looking in the mirror more....get used to your new slimmer body. You have to like it first..... Take a little more time picking your clothes and dressing. Chose clothes to wear that YOU really like....buy new ones if you have to.

Then practice saying "Thanks". That's all you need to say......"Thanks" .......simple once you get the hang of it.....But I do sympathise ......I am guilty of it myself.

I even caught myself saying (when someone noticed my loss) "Yes but I badly need to lose the rest" or "Yes but I'm still huge". So I now don't trust myself with anything more than -

Smile at them and say "Thanks"

I'm also guilty of this!
Sara is spot-on with her "just say thanks"
And, hey- get used to it- there'll be loads more (well deserved) compliments soon! xx

It seems to happen all of a sudden -you're thinking no one has noticed and then people start really noticing. Well, I agree let's just say thank you. And really don't stop till you're satisfied with the fit and healthy you!

just say thanks hun and get on with and think to yourself how happy you are and you are doing this for you no one else and you will stop when you are ready and when people give you complaments let it give you that warm happy feeling inside. xxx

Hi Pinkiepie,

Glad you're starting to get the compliments that your hard work has earned. Great advice from Sara etc on how to respond.

It is really important that you follow this advice and get yourself comfortable with the extra attention, rather than hiding your new figure. Things will calm down as people get used to the new you, but more importantly you need to start to get used to the new you.

I feel that in the past I have sabotaged my own weightloss by feeling unable to cope with the attention, so i am very aware that I need to deal with this issue differently this time around, so I can really relate to what you are saying.

I feel that you are touching on an issue that is really important to at least some of us in being able to maintain our weight long term.

You have done so well that although it might feel strange I hope you start to enjoy the stir your achievement is creating and that you are as proud of you as we are. Sorry for the ramble x

getting compliments is a shock after being vertually invisible in the past. i also found it hard accepting all the comments but i've started to stand tall (hard at 5'2") and more importantly smile more

I am so pleased to hear your hard work has become noticed but don't listen to the killjoys of this world! There is always someone who likes to rain on your parade! As has been said, you are doing this for you, not them and it is none of their business when you plan to finish.

I was at the school for the first day back this afternoon and so many people commented on my lose even though I have not lost much more over the hols. At last I am wearing clothes that aren't 3 sizes too big so I suppose it is more obvious now. I'm afraid to many I replied I had but still had a lot more to lose!!!! Compliments are not natural to me either!!!

I must admit the huge smile I had on my face as my little one and I walked home said it all!!!! Enjoy, you deserve every compliment you receive.

x

Back