Noticed something odd.

Bess

Plod, plod, plod.....
Well, I've often thought it but my daughter, who is a midwife has confirmed it.

Obviously you can't go up to people in the street, have a good look at them and then ask what they weigh. Well, not without getting thumped anyway.

But, now I've been dieting, I do wonder what other people weigh according to how they look to me. I can remember feeling awful when someone described a man in a very derogatory fashion as 'looking like a hefty 16 stone rugby player.' At the time I was 16.3 and I wanted to crawl under a rock and stay there.
I can remember my husband carrying (one at a time!) four fellow students through a flood. Gallant huh? I was skinny then. He said how much heavier the shortest one of us was, (not me) and he didn't carry her last!
Years later a skinny friend asked me to guess what she weighed. (I underestimated of course) but I thought to myself that she'd weigh about 10.5 stones. Turned out she was 11.7 - quite a surprise.
My daughter in the course of her work weighs women often and she says she used to be surprised at some of the weights. A fairly small woman could weigh a lot and a large one much less than she expected. So, it seems that someone of my height - 5'6" and weighing the same as I do 11.12, might look very different to me mightn't they?
And this leads me on to wondering about the whole BMI thing.
I'd like to see a line of a dozen women, all the same height and size and see what differences there were.

No point to this really - just a ramble......what do you think?

I know just what your saying!

all depends on body shape too I guess! I am a pear, so my bottom half always looks fatter than top half!

Yes I am with you too :). I'd love to do one of those Gok Wan lineups where you have to place yourself inbetween other ladies of varying sizes. They always think they are much bigger than they are!! I think most of us on here have a bit of a warped view of what we look like, I now I do :eek:.

Soon2bslimmer x

Bess......
I am sooooo with you here..
I was only having a conversation with my mum today I told her that I had lost just over 6 stone as off today, and I said Im exactly 9 stone now.. she couldnt believe I was "still 9 stone" she thought I weighed alot less as she is simalar height and weighs about 8 st 10/11 and thought I was thinner than her. Dont get me wrong she is so so proud and pleased for me that I have lost 6 stone and my brother to that has lost over 8 1/2 stone.
It really doesnt matter but I so understand what you are saying.. It now makes me think come on get down to the 8s only as my mum was like still 9 stone.. iykwim..
x

I'd love to do one of those Gok Wan lineups where you have to place yourself inbetween other ladies of varying sizes.

I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I wanted to appear in an underwear line-up on How To Look Good Naked.

Erm .. how about no?!! I ain't appearing on national TV in my skimpies for anyone! :D

Hahaha! Thanks but I look far better dressed than I do undressed.

You don't lose over 8 stone at my age and not have the inevitable weightloss 'battle scars' I'm afraid. I'd really rather not show them to the rest of the UK - or even Gok Wan for that matter :)

Its a body shape and height thing I think..

Im just on 6ft and weigh 29 stone but when even anyone tries to guess my weight they say around 15 stone :p

now my friend is 5ft1 and weighs just on 10 stone and eveyone tells her she looks the same as me which makes :hitthefan: but she is very round and im not so meh!

so im guessing i should thank my dna for making me tall :p

I was asked a couple of weeks ago if I wanted to appear in an underwear line-up on How To Look Good Naked.

Ohhhhhh Wow.. thats fab!!.. to be asked .. You look great in real life I can vouch for that.. but I can understand you not wanting to be on tv in your underwear.. It must take a lot to do something like that..

Erm .. how about no?!! I ain't appearing on national TV in my skimpies for anyone! :D

Awww Sharon I can understand that.... THe people that do that must have a lot of guts..

i weigh 11 stone and i'm 5"6 and a size 10!
Everyone who i have told my weight to is horrified that i "weigh so much".....they think i'm about 9 stone! Wishful bloomin thinking!

I have always had comments that i weigh heavier than i look, even when i was fat.

Its not nice though when even know at the size i am, people are still shocked when i tell them my weight!

When i told friends and family i wanted to lose another 17lbs (before i changed my goal), they were horrified and my best friend cried! I kept saying to them that it would still see me in the middle of my BMI, but they said they already saw me as a "bag of bones" and that another 17lbs would see me looking ill....! I was so shocked at how they saw me, i changed my goal weight!
xxx

Oooh Lizz! You lucky thing :D

I'm 5'6", just over 11 stone and a size 12 - sometimes even a size 14 on the bottom half:cry:

I guess it really is a case of our individual physical make-up how we all look at the same weight/height :rolleyes:

Ha ha! Noe me, but it's fun to be asked?!

When i told friends and family i wanted to lose another 17lbs (before i changed my goal), they were horrified and my best friend cried! I kept saying to them that it would still see me in the middle of my BMI, but they said they already saw me as a "bag of bones" and that another 17lbs would see me looking ill....! I was so shocked at how they saw me, i changed my goal weight!
xxx

I've had a very similar reaction - apart from the tears! My family and friends think that if I lost another 12 lb's to be just in my healthy bmi, I'd look too thin! I don't know what to think really, but I do want to get there. Maybe......eventually.......

I'm 5'6", just over 11 stone and a size 12 - sometimes even a size 14 on the bottom half:cry:

I guess it really is a case of our individual physical make-up how we all look at the same weight/height :rolleyes:

Must be Skye, must be......

One of my main head issues at the moment is that I don't know what size I look - I also would love to do the Gok challenge of fitting myself into a line up. I have a fear or offending anyone by daring to say I a smaller than them - I think I might put myself at the end just to avoid implying that I am smaller than anyone.

I haven't had many photos taken of me with other people yet, force of habit I guess. But I did have a photo taken with some family and was suprised at 1. how short I am compared to them and 2. how small I looked compared to previous photos but still I can't bring myself to compare myself to others.

Quite a few years ago when I weight about 15 1/2 stone a doctor said to me, ooh you don't look that heavy you carry it well. i think those comments stuck with me for the next 10 years as I got heavier and heavier - well, a doctor told me I carried weight well!!!

I've had a very similar reaction - apart from the tears! My family and friends think that if I lost another 12 lb's to be just in my healthy bmi, I'd look too thin! I don't know what to think really, but I do want to get there. Maybe......eventually.......

QUOTE]

it amazes me that i have people saying to me "they preferred me when i was fat"....initially i was so horrifically insulted by this but then my DH kindly pointed out that no one had ever really seen me skinny before and it was a shock to the system! My 18 year old god son was the first to say it, but he has only ever known me weight 17stone plus!
I;m sure after 6 month at goal, if i suddently gained 2 stone they will be saying that they preferred me thin! lol

You need to follow a route that YOU are happy with and not do it to please other people. I have revised my goal recently, but because i wanted to. If you can hold your head up high and say you have achieved everything you wanted to then its irrelevent what other people think hun!

:D

xx

Back