O/T Bathroom Limescale

Gemmy_Lou

Ok, this is completely random...

Is it true that vinegar will dissolve limescale?
I am having serious limescale issues in my bathroom and no shop bought product will shift it.
It is a problem inherited and since moving in I have never fully got rid of it and now it is doing my head in.

Someone please suggest something or please tell me if vinegar will work.

Sorry to bother you with my housework woes!

Vinegar does work, but the shop stuff is usually stronger. You may have to keep doing it though. Over and over again, leaving it for a while to soak in before you get the lot off.

If it's really thick, and you're careful, could you try and get the worst off with a knife or scraper of sorts?

Actually according to Aggie and Co from the TV 'How Clean is your House' programme, putting a bottle of cola in the toilet overnight will remove limescale - and it does work because I tried it (dread to think what it does to our insides!!!) I've not heard of vinegar though, but it is very good for lots of cleaning jobs so it probably would work.

I read somewhere on the internet about using cola however I am quite gullible and thought that that sounded like a trick!!

I did think about scraping but was worried about being heavy handed and damaging the loo itself! My OH knows I am hankering for a new bathroom suite and would think I had done it on purpose!!

Well, I currently have a bottle of vinegar down the loo (don't worry ladies, I have poured it out of the bottle!) and as long as I do not drink anything for the evening I will leave it there until bedtime.

Thank you both for your help!

Funnily enough, I was watching how clean is your house earlier, and they did the Cola down the toilet overnight trick, and then used a pumice stone to get rid of the final stubborn bits.
Good luck :)

OH what the hell, while I'm here...

If you want shiney new saucepans, boil some coke in the pans, scour a little et voila!

And if you want your light pull string nice and white again, soak cotton woll in bleach and tied it round the string, leav a few hours, hey presto, white again! (they do get rather grubby) hmm...

AND to clean your microwave, put a bowl of water with lemon juice in, heat for a minute and half, leave to steam for a little while, and microwave will be easy to clean out!! (I wonder if you can put it in the oven and do the same??? Ooh I'll have to try that....)

lol shall I stop now...?? xx

It's amazing what a bottle of cola will do for cleaning jobs in the house etc, it's also good with a drop of bacardi too, LOL....

Slightly concerned about the amount of diet coke i drink now you know? .. :eek:

All good stuff though, thanks ladies.. if its this simple i'l suggest it to OH next time i ask him to clean and he says its too difficult LOL x

OH what the hell, while I'm here...

If you want shiney new saucepans, boil some coke in the pans, scour a little et voila!

And if you want your light pull string nice and white again, soak cotton woll in bleach and tied it round the string, leav a few hours, hey presto, white again! (they do get rather grubby) hmm...

AND to clean your microwave, put a bowl of water with lemon juice in, heat for a minute and half, leave to steam for a little while, and microwave will be easy to clean out!! (I wonder if you can put it in the oven and do the same??? Ooh I'll have to try that....)

lol shall I stop now...?? xx

When I've cooked rhubarb - I leave it in the oven uncovered to cool....all the acidic steam from the cooling rhubarb cleans my oven up a treat...just wipe it all clean! and the rhubarb is good too!

Oh good lord what sort of thread have I started?!!

Well I have just gone and flushed the loo and twirled the loo brush around it for a bit and guess what...
MY TOILET IS PEARLY WHITE AND CLEAN!!!
I have spent a fortune on limescale products which now just collect dust under my sink and all the time I just needed vinegar (or coke apparently!!)

Thank you every one for your hints and tips.

Julianne, I am going to email Kim and Aggie and see if they need a third team member...

I'm a convert to white vinegar now, I just pour a bit down the loo and leave for as long as poss, quick scrub with the brush and it should all come up quite clean. Is pretty cheap too :D You can also mix it with bicarb into a paste to leave on areas that are a bit more awkward and where just vinegar itself would pour off.

Also use it for descaling the kettle, takes a bit longer to keep boiling to clear but far nicer than using those scary chemical things (fine for the loo or bath but in something I use for food? Noooo!)

We went through 2 electric steamers because we have really bad hard water here. My new shower is starting to show signs of water deposits on the glass -its a nightmare to get off - have tried cillit bang .....wot a load of c*** that is and have used lemon and vinegar in the past ,but it still keeps on coming -i hate it - cos no-one does it in this house apart from me !!!

thought I would just chip in with this little tip

for cleaning your carpet round the edges where it meets the skirting boards, use baby wipes, it fetches the fluff off a treat.

Back