O/T Kindle Thread!

dukandebut

Goat herder(ess)
I saw the idea of having an off-topic Kindle thread mentioned on one of the other threads but couldn't find one, so I decided to start one myself. (Please feel free to delete this thread if there is one already and I've missed it.)

Anyway, I'll begin by pointing out that there's a fantastic Summer Sale on in the Kindle ebook store on Amazon.co.uk at the moment. Prices seem to range from 99p to £2.99 and there are some excellent books. I've stocked up on loads!

alternatively if you are 'creative' you can get them free

What do people like to read? I have quite a mixed assortment on my kindle. However, at the moment I am reading authors like James Rollins, Andy McDermott and Tom Knox. These are usually adventure type books. Quite often based around myths like Atlantis. I call them grown up Indiana Jones stories lol

My tastes are pretty eclectic. I'm not a fan of slushy romantic stuff, though or chick lit (sorry, DiamondX! ;-) ).

Many of the books I read tend to be for older kids as they are often just so good.

Sharon, have you ever read The Sunbird by Wilbur Smith? I think you'd really enjoy it. There are two stories in one, really - a modern day lost fabled African city treasure hunt in the first part, then it switches back in time. I found it to be extremely vivid and evocative, and cried buckets at the ending!

I'm currently reading a Summer Sale bargain - Midwinter of the Soul by Phil Rickman. Probably not a good idea for a book to read before I go to sleep at night as it's starting to give me nightmares! It's about a woman priest who, after recently experiencing some rather traumatic events, has just trained to become an exorcist. She's having to battle against prejudice as well as some rather unsavoury phenomena.

DukanDebut, they sound like good reads.....off to look for them and upload to mine later. Ever growing to be read list lol

I ordered another kindle on Sunday for my 11 year olds birthday and it arrived already this morning! £79.99 for a wifi one from amazon warehouse. Worth keeping an eye open if anyone wants another as they often have them. They are refurbished but still come with a full warranty. I know several people who have bought them now and they have no problems.

There are a couple of kindle threads on the book section. One has links to cheap/free recommendations

Absolutely love my kindle though the number of books I have on it just now is ridiculous

I'm currently reading "Veiled Freedom", and enjoying it (free download).

I advise caution though if/when you click on any link advertising free kindle books. I managed to get a [virus/worm?] on not one but TWO pcs (home and work) by doing just that!

Just checked that one out and downloaded it, Jo. Thanks.

It'll be a bit of an update on one of the books I've just finished, which was set in both the present day and in a Turkish harem (certainly not in a romantic light, but in what I would imagine to be more of a realistic, warts-and-all example). It's disgraceful that, after all these years, there are women who are still treated as chattels.

ETA: In case anyone's interested, the book was The Aviary Gate by Katie Hickman. It's currently in the sale for £2.49. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how the book could have a satisfactory ending whilst I was in the middle of reading, but I think that the author managed it very well indeed.

Back